AL-SEN 2020: Doug Jones vs. The Entire Political Establishment of Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN 2020: Doug Jones vs. The Entire Political Establishment of Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How would you rate the Alabama Senate race of 2020?
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tossup

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 190

Author Topic: AL-SEN 2020: Doug Jones vs. The Entire Political Establishment of Alabama  (Read 11023 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »

It depends on 2018, if the Dems are down a couple of seats, they will pull out stops to defend Jones. It all depends.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »

Likely R, closer to Safe than Lean. Jones only wins if 2020 is 1932 2.0. He’s quite obviously the most vulnerable 2020 incumbent, even more so than Gardner.
His campaign message in 2017 was basically “vote for me because I’m not a pedophile.” In 2020 he’ll just be another generic Democrat, and there won’t be a reason for GOP voters to stay home like in 2017. Jones hardly stands a chance with Trump on the ballot.
I look forward to volunteering for the campaign of the rep nominee, and will enthusiastically vote against Jones.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »

Likely R, closer to Safe than Lean. Jones only wins if 2020 is 1932 2.0. He’s quite obviously the most vulnerable 2020 incumbent, even more so than Gardner.
His campaign message in 2017 was basically “vote for me because I’m not a pedophile.” In 2020 he’ll just be another generic Democrat, and there won’t be a reason for GOP voters to stay home like in 2017. Jones hardly stands a chance with Trump on the ballot.
I look forward to volunteering for the campaign of the rep nominee, and will enthusiastically vote against Jones.
Doug Jones is a conservative Democrat with excellent constituent outreach. He's not Generic D.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »

Doug Jones is a conservative Democrat with excellent constituent outreach. He's not Generic D.
He may be "conservative" by national democratic standards, but he's a good bit to the left of traditional Alabama democrats.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »

He may be "conservative" by national democratic standards, but he's a good bit to the left of traditional Alabama democrats.
Wonder what that must say about those Alabama standards of your's Tongue
Jalawest2

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »

Yes, but he's still meaningfully different from Generic D.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »

That wasn't enough for you?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »

No. I don’t vote for anyone based on what they aren’t.
Jalawest2

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2018, 11:37:28 PM »

Hmm, a pedophile or a Democrat? Tough choice, tough choice.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:49 AM »

Hmm, a pedophile or a Democrat? Tough choice, tough choice.
I really don't understand the mentality of the people who voted for Roy Moore. Doug Jones is exactly the kind of Democrat that I would have no qualms supporting, and I hope that he at least has a fighting chance in 2020.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »

It’s looking like Bradley Byrne will probably run:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/bradley_byrne_weighing_challen.amp
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »

His S. Alabama base would make him formidable. I imagine whoever runs for Shelby’s seat is the one who has their CD dismantled when AL loses a district in 2022
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »

If Byrne wins the primary he'd probably beat Jones. I'm not sure he will though.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »

Tossup. I will wait until the first poll is released.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »

Unless something miraculous happens, I’d put money on Byrne beating Jones (if it came down to those 2).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »

Nice, but Republicans shouldn’t make the mistake of overhyping his candidacy like they did with Hawley in MO. Byrne could easily lose the primary or general.

I'd be surprised if Byrne didn't have a super competitive primary - and he has things in his background that would be bad in an Alabama Republican primary like being a moderate and supporting teaching evolution in schools.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »

I believe the upcoming Supreme Court battle is important to Jones if he wants to have a chance at reelection. IMO, anything short of a Yes vote is political suicide.
JG

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »

I believe the upcoming Supreme Court battle is important to Jones if he wants to have a chance at reelection. IMO, anything short of a Yes vote is political suicide.

As if people will remember a vote from 2 years before when they have a hard time remembering a scandal from the week before.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »

That would abandon the very voters who put him there, the black voters who came out at presidential levels to support him.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

That would abandon the very voters who put him there, the black voters who came out at presidential levels to support him.

That is true but white turnout will be up A LOT over 2017 due to it being a presidential year. 2017 was also an incredibly unique situation.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »

As if people will remember a vote from 2 years before when they have a hard time remembering a scandal from the week before.

Trust me. If he votes No, it will be on every ad in the state.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »

That is true but white turnout will be up A LOT over 2017 due to it being a presidential year. 2017 was also an incredibly unique situation.
He couldn't win white voters over ROY FREAKING MOORE in 2017, he won't be able to win them in 2020. He needs to double down on his base and hope the Republicans put up another dreadful candidate. Pandering to conservative whites won't win him any votes, but will cost him many.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2018, 04:28:47 PM by Redneck Conservative »

He couldn't win white voters over ROY FREAKING MOORE in 2017, he won't be able to win them in 2020. He needs to double down on his base and hope the Republicans put up another dreadful candidate. Pandering to conservative whites won't win him any votes, but will cost him many.

This is so painfully incorrect that it hurts. The base is going to be far more "motivated" by the presidential election. Hardly anyone cares about the Senate besides old farts. Doug Jones needs to win over old farts who are voting Republican in the presidential but get them to vote specifically for him.

Old farts tend to be far more informed about politics than young folks, who barely understand what the downballot even is.

Also, no, black voters did not turn out anywhere close to 2016 levels in Alabama. Only about 75% of blacks who voted in 2016 turned out in 2018.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »

Every liberal candidate that runs in Alabama gets a whopping 38%. All of the successful dems in Alabama have been white DINOs.

Why is that?

Because persuading moderate swing voters WORKS.... better than turning out the base. It doesn't really work very well in Alabama, but it's the best democrats have. Dems have to hope the presidential candidate turns out black people really well so Jones can focus on crossover votes.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2018, 04:29:15 PM »

Where in my statement did I say he would win white voters? That’s not going to happen. He won in 2017 because black voters turned out and white voters largely didn’t (compared to usual). This will change in a presidential year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies