Dysfunction and Longevity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dysfunction and Longevity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long can the United States maintain its territorial integrity and/or standard of living and system of Government with the current governing situation?
There's no guarantee the US can survive 8 years of Trump.

We probably can get through Trump. It's just that things are bound to go downhill during my lifetime. if we as a nation can't have something resembling normalcy reemerging soon.

It would just be a part of the evolution of the nation through history. Maybe this is the beginning of the end or end of the beginning of the United States, but our nation will probably be destroyed by a totally unrelated cause long after us or anyone who

I am a Trump fan and think what is going on now is the only thing holding our nation together

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Dysfunction and Longevity  (Read 852 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »

Hyperbole? Perhaps. But I think it's an interesting question. I think this could be the beginning of a process that plays out over the rest of the first half and maybe some of the second half of the 21st century.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »

option 3
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »

Option 3 for me
Kodak
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »

America's borders are not at risk in the near future. Even the nations that wish to replace the United States as top dog are trying to do so without going to war. A civil war is also ludicrous to think about.

However, America's standard of living and hegemonic status are dependent on its relations with dozens of allies. Trump has or will sacrifice every bit of America's soft power, and that won't return until the rest of the world moves on from him. That will take decades. Does America have decades to spare before a crisis breaks the system?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

Trump isn’t the end. He’s a harbinger of what could happen in the future. The system and its institutions will survive this test. It remains to be seen if it survives the next test in 10-15 years
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

It feels like Trump is a turning point as the US has been sliding for a while. Will we fall off a cliff or turn it around?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »

Trump isn’t the end. He’s a harbinger of what could happen in the future. The system and its institutions will survive this test. It remains to be seen if it survives the next test in 10-15 years

Someone that Trump looks normal compared to?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 04:16:23 AM »

Try a more generic poll next time. These options are way too specific.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »

Try a more generic poll next time. These options are way too specific.

I have been wandering that direction lately and have thought about things abstractly in the past too much. Now I am more interested in how myself and the things I care about will fare in the future.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »

I'm a natural optimist, so I picked option 2.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »

As Obama correctly pointed out, Trump is the symptom, not the cause of America's current dip. But we'll survive.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »

As Obama correctly pointed out, Trump is the symptom, not the cause of America's current dip. But we'll survive.

Well, there's the electoral decline that has caused Trump but Trump's un-presidency will produce it's own set of problems.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 12:44:53 AM »

Well, the dysfunction we're talking about is coming from a number of places.

What's most immediately obvious is that there's a total blowhard in the Oval Office who has no idea what he's doing but all the confidence in the world. He has degraded important alliances, seriously enflamed tensions within the country, and inclined swaths of people against truth and reason. That's bad.

Less obvious but perhaps more pernicious are the traumas we're enduring thanks to American capitalism. The media has a profit motivation, so everything is super sensationalized to the point that there's a degree of legitimate doubt around mainstream news sources in addition to the manufactured doubt Trump has help stir. Add to that the extremely uneven geographic distribution of capital we're currently seeing and it's a recipe for disaster. This is what will take the country down, and it's exacerbated by Trump... but also independent from him, and even from the Republican Party. That's why I don't see things falling off the cliff under Trump, but if trends continue I wouldn't be shocked to see America become a shell of its former self within the next 60 years.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »

A symptom, not the symptom.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

What's most immediately obvious is that there's a total blowhard in the Oval Office who has no idea what he's doing but all the confidence in the world. He has degraded important alliances, seriously enflamed tensions within the country, and inclined swaths of people against truth and reason. That's bad.

Less obvious but perhaps more pernicious are the traumas we're enduring thanks to American capitalism. The media has a profit motivation, so everything is super sensationalized to the point that there's a degree of legitimate doubt around mainstream news sources in addition to the manufactured doubt Trump has help stir. Add to that the extremely uneven geographic distribution of capital we're currently seeing and it's a recipe for disaster. This is what will take the country down, and it's exacerbated by Trump... but also independent from him, and even from the Republican Party. That's why I don't see things falling off the cliff under Trump, but if trends continue I wouldn't be shocked to see America become a shell of its former self within the next 60 years.

What's a "shell"? Some people say it already is.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:19 PM »

Wider-spread poverty, virtually no economic mobility, near total automation of manual-labour and service jobs, total concentration of wealth in the metropoles which have been nearly completely gentrified... Hunger Games without the Hunger Games, and the oppressed majority is way more stupid.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »

Wider-spread poverty, virtually no economic mobility, near total automation of manual-labour and service jobs, total concentration of wealth in the metropoles which have been nearly completely gentrified... Hunger Games without the Hunger Games, and the oppressed majority is way more stupid.

More like Idicoracy, then?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies