Should the US have a system for banning movies/video games? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:43:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the US have a system for banning movies/video games? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the US have a system for banning movies/video games?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Should the US have a system for banning movies/video games?  (Read 2715 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:28 AM »

Even though the first Manhunt wasn't a very good game, I feel like buying Manhunt 2, just as a way of saying "f**k you" to censors in other countries.

Yes, I heard that John Kelleher, the Irish Film Censor, had to cry himself to sleep when he found out about this.

Which IIRC was one of only two things he has banned since coming to that office in 2003.. (and certainly Manhunt 2 was the first video game to be banned in Ireland.)

It was to be said though, that the level of Moral 'prudery' (as you put it) in Ireland is nothing like in America. For a start there is no religious right except for some tiny groups which only seem to appear everytime there is a referendum on Abortion or the EU or Divorce. There are many things I dislike about my country BRTD, but social conservativism is not it, at least not in the 2000s (social conformism on the other hand.. But then again with your Che Guevara t-Shirts and oh-so-cool "leftism" you would know alot about that wouldn't you?)

Goddamn it BRTD why must you hate Ireland so must I have defend it every time you post?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Historically speaking it was English who imported Moral prudery into Ireland (Ireland was one of the most sexually liberal countries in Europe until the mid-16th Century.. and also one of the most religious in a devotional sense; though how seriously the church was taken is shown by the fact that the priesthood was often a hereditary positions). It was only forces of the Reformation, the Counter-Reformation and later Cultural nationalism and revival which created the stifling attitude towards sexuality which is commonly associated with Ireland. Which reached it's peak after independance, especially after WWII but eventually died down with Liberal Victory after the Cultural wars of the 80s and 90s. I would still not describe Ireland as a liberal country, because it's not, but it's attitude towards sex is alot less conservative than previous. Certainly apart from some very rural areas; I don't think there is much of a stigma against Homosexuality any more. It's not even an issue in a political sense anyway, everyone except one or two die-hards has accepted the liberal arguement. (51% of Irish approve of Gay Marriage.. Americans?)

Btw, The Magdalene launderies were originally formed in Calvinist Scotland. But like everything else once Imported into Ireland it was rebranded in a particularly Irish way.

And also here it should be pointed out that I am not a Catholic. And up until the said Cultural nationalism the Protestant population in Ireland was probably the most conservative. (And in certain ways, still is. And in other ways, is the most liberal. The role of those with Anglican birth like me is sort of complicated. Even though I've turned greatly against my church.)

Ridiculous? Yes. Repressive? There are some monks in Burma who would disagree with that...

From experience I can tell you that Irish people are way ahead of you at that. It's only illegal to supply it with intent to sell.

Agree. But I was trying to bust your notion of Ireland being a catholic dominated state which it's not.

NC-17 Rating anyone?

You have no clue, do you? Ireland was never much of conservative place; it was always a conformist place. But not now, The area I live in (when I'm in Dublin) is far, far from conservative in the American sense. Yes I know about the law, but I'm talking about what people actually do, which is important.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »

Contradicting your Anti-Catholicism..

Perhaps so that people in Officialdom will be seen not to be endorsing controversial products. Those who want Manhunt 2 and have the means to do so (ie. Connection to the Internet or knowledge of the Black market), will get it. Morality is not the only reason behind a potential ban, you know.

In Mainstream movie theatres it has the same effect of restricting access. And I said already rental video stores tend to flount the banning rules (Showgirls is "banned" here but able to rent on DVD at my nearby store.)

The law is only what the Elite\Officialdom thinks; not what the rest of the population do. A law without being followed by a good majority of the population is essentially useless and bound to fail. (And has). Plus even so Ireland's laws on sexuality aren't much more conservative now than those in the States and perhaps more liberal than those in the south.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »

In America, perhaps; in other places where some laws are rarely enforced, it really matters very little.

Except it is enforced, even if you can still easily import Manhunt 2, it's still not available for sale. Most countries that ban movies/video games do take them seriously, in Melbourne, Australia a public showing of Ken Park was shut down.

I can assure that the law is never that seriously in Ireland.

Well it's a bit more complicated than *THAT* but it is rather complicated and can really only be understood by people who know Irish culture fairly well (ie. Lived here for quite a while.) It should be pointed out here that most Irish people (if they have at all) only heard of Manhunt 2 after it was banned; I suspect Kelleher banned it in order to counter some the Maternalist moaning over Video Games that occurs in certain parts of this country which he knew would ensue should the game be released generally. Plus it should be noted that here Censor ratings (the Irish Equivalents of R, PG-13, etc) are not followed at all and it used to be quite easy for my 12-year old brother to rent out GTA3. Which is not something I approve of; but that's another topic.

Still part of your country; Ireland has some VERY traditionalist parts as well (I will refrain from the word "conservative" though as it means something different in Ireland than in America.) such as well, most of Ireland west of the River Shannon, South Kerry, West Cork, etc. But they are still part of the country. Though under American defintions I would say easily nowadays the Republic of Ireland is much more liberal than Northern Ireland. Especially in Rural areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies