Opinion of the tempbanned poster: GeneralMacArthur
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the tempbanned poster: GeneralMacArthur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Opinion of the tempbanned poster: GeneralMacArthur  (Read 1500 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2024, 08:04:16 PM »

It sure does.

My heart goes out to the mods who have to deal with this flood of vile, idiotic, self-righteous drivel on a daily basis. They're heroes honestly.
Do you prefer the song The Conflict (which gave us the "I don't worship a concept I a follow a King" lyric) to this?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2024, 08:10:31 PM »

Being antithetical to ‘the Palestinian cause’ is not ban worthy
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2024, 08:20:55 PM »

He needs to be a little calmer. But overall I consider him a FF.

This. I haven't actually seen his comments on Palestine, but based on how they're being referred to here, I'm guessing they were pretty vile. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and still call him a soft FF for the time being.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2024, 08:22:19 PM »

Tilt FF. I strongly disagree with him on Israel/Palestine, but other than that he's spot-on about almost everything. Of course, the "other than that" qualifier does some heavy lifting here. Even so, I remember his thread about narratives surrounding abortion in which he made a lot of sense. That's why I voted the way I did.

Agreed. Regarding his abrasive posting style, I too have seen that but not to an extent as severe as the one described by others.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2024, 08:28:12 PM »

It sure does.

My heart goes out to the mods who have to deal with this flood of vile, idiotic, self-righteous drivel on a daily basis. They're heroes honestly.
Do you prefer the song The Conflict (which gave us the "I don't worship a concept I a follow a King" lyric) to this?

I've never actually listened to it but almost certainly, yes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2024, 08:28:29 PM »

I'll allow the families of those held hostage by Hamas (some of whom are likely dead) to render judgement on the FFness or HPness of GMac.
His ideological "tribalism" and disdain for the lives of people he perceived to be on the other side suggest he may have more in common with Hamas than he might think.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2024, 08:38:08 PM »

I don't think he deserved to be tempbanned on the specific post that he made that the mods cited. I assume there were other, less-good-faith posts made that contributed to this.
https://i.imgur.com/l9UCz5L.jpeg
I broadly disagree with his fervent opposition to "the Palestinian cause" and generally take issue with his virulently anti-"Bernie Bro" and anti-"social justice left" invective, despite sympathizing and empathizing with his perspective.

Voted HP in the poll, am half-heartedly taking that back in the hope that he runs my Recommends tally query for Blairite, TJ, Abdullah, and Xahar after his tempban expires Curly
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2024, 08:50:38 PM »

It sure does.

I didn't report this post, but it is "Excessive Hyperbole".   Sunglasses
AtorBoltox

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2024, 09:51:31 PM »

Wait, that can’t actually be the post that got him banned, surely?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2024, 10:01:47 PM »

Being antithetical to ‘the Palestinian cause’ is not ban worthy

He was 'banned' for comments about the Palestinian people, not cause. And it wasn't the first time. I wasn't going to even post this until you made your silly above comment. Knock it off, we aren't dumb.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2024, 10:13:52 PM »

Obvious HP with clear issues.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2024, 11:16:11 PM »

It sure does.

I've never actually listened to it but almost certainly, yes.

LBJer
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2024, 11:20:59 PM »

I don't normally vote FF/HP about forum members, so I didn't vote in this poll.  But he's certainly ridiculously biased toward Israel, to the point of being laughable.  The Alan Dershowitz of Atlas, if you will.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2024, 05:11:23 AM »

Few bans have been more deserved. I was clearly never a fan of his, but since October 7th his posts about Palestinians have been astonishingly dismissive and dehumanizing. I cannot fathom how people like him or OSR handwave away the suffering of millions of people for ideological or political reasons. Hopefully he is just the first of many ethnic cleansing advocates to take well-earned vacations from this site.

It's ultimately an issue of dogma suspending critical thinking. It will never cease to amaze and disappoint me how many people don't have or fail to use critical reasoning skills.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2024, 05:50:10 AM »

His ratio of "things he has even an introductory familiarity with" to "things he's willing to talk like an authority about" is crazy. Remarkable confidence
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2024, 05:55:49 AM »

I agreed with him on most things. Except that: 1-His style was offputting and he was often pretty hostile when he didn't need to be and 2-Some of the things he said about Palestine were pretty awful.

Hoping he takes the time to recalibrate and changes when he comes back, especially because after that long of a ban this is likely the last chance he's getting.
My thoughts as well
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2024, 08:02:39 AM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2024, 08:41:03 AM »

Basically my thoughts on PSOL's tempban: you may know a lot, provide a fresh perspective and be passionate, but we all have a responsibility to not turn this place into a sewer.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2024, 09:18:19 PM »

Basically my thoughts on PSOL's tempban: you may know a lot, provide a fresh perspective and be passionate, but we all have a responsibility to not turn this place into a sewer.

The question becomes this:  "How does this place become a sewer?".

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2024, 10:39:02 PM »

HP, I know his type, he accused me of spamming the Pbower Approval ratings but never once told Redban he was spamming
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2024, 05:20:22 PM »

What did he say?
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2024, 10:15:10 PM »

from the accused himself: https://imgur.com/a/UqQmIeG

This post originally said "Palestinians are bad".  I was scribbling the post down very quickly, was careless with my language and obviously should have been more thoughtful and proofread it before hitting Send.

However, the context of the paragraph makes it clear I'm talking about the Palestinian nationalist political movement and its associated activist cause in the United States, not the ethnic group.

When I saw people reading it as racist, I went back to edit it, but YE had already beaten me to it and moderated it for "racism".  So I just said "ok, good, glad it got removed because obviously I structured that sentence poorly."

This is the only post I ever made on Atlas that was moderated for racism or ethnic discrimination or anything similar, and I had never in any of my 11,000 posts expressed any such sentiments on the forum in the past.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2024, 10:22:58 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2024, 10:47:15 PM by Morning in Atlas »

GMac and I are currently in a chat working out our differences. Talks have been very constructive and productive, and this has all been a 5-year-long misunderstanding over stupid sh*t. Actually not a bad guy once you talk to him.

I certainly hope he returns some day.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2024, 10:39:53 PM »

from the accused himself: https://imgur.com/a/UqQmIeG

This post originally said "Palestinians are bad".  I was scribbling the post down very quickly, was careless with my language and obviously should have been more thoughtful and proofread it before hitting Send.

However, the context of the paragraph makes it clear I'm talking about the Palestinian nationalist political movement and its associated activist cause in the United States, not the ethnic group.

When I saw people reading it as racist, I went back to edit it, but YE had already beaten me to it and moderated it for "racism".  So I just said "ok, good, glad it got removed because obviously I structured that sentence poorly."

This is the only post I ever made on Atlas that was moderated for racism or ethnic discrimination or anything similar, and I had never in any of my 11,000 posts expressed any such sentiments on the forum in the past.

GeneralMacArthur MO: gaslight, deny, deflect.

If he had an ounce of humility or the ability to self-reflect he wouldn't keep getting muted and banned.

This one should have been permanent. He clearly sees nothing wrong with his behavior.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2024, 12:43:03 AM »

If that's banworthy I'm looking forward to Horus's tempban after his blanket declaration that 'Israelis are so ungrateful'
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies