How many Democratic US Senators will be left from the Deep South?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:07:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many Democratic US Senators will be left from the Deep South?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: (After 2014 Elections)

4 or more

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: How many Democratic US Senators will be left from the Deep South?  (Read 2548 times)
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »

3 at best (Neoconfederate melts down in MS, Nunn wins, Landrieu holds on) or 0 at worst. If miracles did happen, it could be 4 (if we got a white to run against Uncle Tom Tim Scott).

You're either being an idiot/racist or a troll.  Scott would have no problem winning against any white Democrat.  You're deluded if you think that conservative whites are going to go for a democrat just because he/she is white.  You grossly misunderstand the situation.  If race is the reason 2010 was sort of close for Haley, ten why does she have over 70% approval with Republicans. 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »

I voted 'one'. Landrieu more likely than Nunn.

As for Tim Scott, he would underperform against a white Democrat, but he would not be in danger based on race alone.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

I wish people wouldn't include Florida as the Deep South. Tampa, Orlando, and Miami, ad West Palm Beach are not the Deep South the way say Charleston, SC would be.

As for Tim Scott he beat White Republicans the first time he ran in SC-01 in 2010. He beat Strom Thurmond's son and Carol Campbell's son whose father was a former Governor of SC in the Republican Primary. I realize SC-01 its kinda moderate socially when compared to the rest of SC Congressional Districts since this district does have the city of Charleston in it. The race issue as a whole is debatable though because we are talking about the Deep South here. I don't like the whole Uncle Tom saying though since not all black people grow up in a city environment.
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »

3 at best (Neoconfederate melts down in MS, Nunn wins, Landrieu holds on) or 0 at worst. If miracles did happen, it could be 4 (if we got a white to run against Uncle Tom Tim Scott).
OMG really? Ignoring the disrespectful, racist comment, there's nobody who can beat Tim Scott. Even Jim Hodges would probably lose.

The comment is neither racist, nor disrespectful. It's the sad truth. You're deluding yourself if you think Tim Scott wouldn't have a hard time against a white Democrat. Even Nikki Haley (who looks white) had a hard time in 2010. Tim Scott would be in legitimate trouble against a white opponent.
Nikki Haley really wasn't the establishment pick for the Republican Nomination for SC Governor in 2010. I think Gersham Barrett was. Shaheen was a good candidate on the Dem side too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »

0, because Landrieu and Nunn are in GOP favored runoffs. The 50th seat may depend on AK or ARK.
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »

Zero.

The Democratic brand is DEAD in the Deep South at the moment.  Nunn's chances are highly overstated and Landrieu is looking to be the next Blanche Lincoln.  I could see either/both of them somehow winning, but only if the GOP really screws up the next few months.  The Democrats will need to look for opportunities to expand elsewhere for the time being.  There is a way to win some Southern states without turning the party into moderate heroism but the fundraising base probably wouldn't like the strategy.  Namely, get very serious about overturning Citizens United and taking a stronger stance on economic populism.  The South has the lowest voter turnout in the nation and if people get the idea that the Democrats are actually serious about Social Justice they could turn out in high numbers.  I mean, all those bad stats you guys list?  You think all of those people are Republicans?  Chances are, given how polarized the South is by measures like class and race, more than a few of those people are Democrats who don't bother voting under the impression that the vote means nothing.  Ds need to work on the impression that it does mean something, which I believe is where their strategy is failing.  You can't count on Republicans being dumb forever guys.
No Landrieu is not gonna lose as bad as Blanche Lincoln did in 2010. Landrieu may lose but not in Blanche Lincoln 2010 or Rick Santorum 2006 style.
Joshgreen
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »

You're either being an idiot/racist or a troll.  Scott would have no problem winning against any white Democrat.  You're deluded if you think that conservative whites are going to go for a democrat just because he/she is white.  You grossly misunderstand the situation.  If race is the reason 2010 was sort of close for Haley, ten why does she have over 70% approval with Republicans. 

Insults: a great way to make an argument, bro. I guess I shouldn't have expected better from a SC Republican.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

Insults: a great way to make an argument, bro. I guess I shouldn't have expected better from a SC Republican.

If you're going to be casually racist, expect to be called out for it
Joshgreen
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »

There has not been one person who has explained how my comments were/are racist.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »

There has not been one person who has explained how my comments were/are racist.
Calling a Black Man an Uncle Tom is very racist.  Anyone who has half a brain would know that.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »

You implied that white conservatives in the south would vote for a democrat just because of their skin color, when that clearly isn't the case. Look at his 2012 house race. He wins overwhelmingly (62%) against a white democrat in his home district, when Romney only got 58% against a black democrat incumbent. When you make generalizations like this it makes you look just as bad as the republicans who say the only racism that exists today is "reverse" racism.
Joshgreen
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Calling a Black Man an Uncle Tom is very racist.  Anyone who has half a brain would know that.

We'll just have to disagree then. I view it as a technical term.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »

No.   How is calling a black man an uncle Tom ok in any way, technical or not?  I'll explain why I 'insulted' you.  The vast majority of people know that calling a black man an Uncle Tom is racist.  If you don't know that, you're an idiot or intentionally racist.  The other option is that you knew and are trolling. 
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »

How in the Hell is that a technical term.  In my book, you are a racist son of a bitch or very stupid.
Joshgreen
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »

How in the Hell is that a technical term.  In my book, you are a racist son of a bitch or very stupid.

Thanks for the insults. Very articulate.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »

Thanks for the insults. Very articulate.
The simpler they are, the better.                 
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »

A typical racist liberal's view of a black person who has a different political opinion than their own
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies