Urban GOP enclaves (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:46:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Urban GOP enclaves (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban GOP enclaves  (Read 4923 times)
Benj

« on: February 17, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »

I'm already aware of South Brooklyn

Do you mean Southern Brooklyn?  South Brooklyn is about 90%+ Democrat fairly consistently.  Southern Brooklyn has some GOP enclaves however.    

In NYC, GOP areas tends to be populated by fundamentalist Jews or middle class Italians.  
Yeah, I did mean Southern Brooklyn. I guess I'm just not that great in my NYC geography. Smiley

Don't feel embarrassed. Many locals have started calling Southern Brooklyn "South Brooklyn". "South Brooklyn" as a name for Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens/Red Hook is well on its way out.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2013, 03:20:59 PM by Benj »

That's the entire county, Krazen. Obama likely won whites living in the city.

Possibly. Nevertheless, the original topic was enclaves. There is quite clearly such an enclave in La Jolla, for example.

Obama has carried the La Jolla area of the City of San Diego twice now by a few points. It is one of those wealthy white areas that has moved left. Heck UC San Diego is right next door, and Asians are around in significant numbers to boot.

I think the area near Point Loma would be a better example. It has a fairly urban vibe but voted for Mccain, and I am pretty sure for Romney too. And there are places that are within the city of San Diego, but are very suburban, which were about 50-50 in 2008 and certainly voted for Romney in 2012.

Point Loma did not vote for McCain. There were a few precincts immediately adjacent to the naval base that did (though the base itself voted for Obama), but the neighborhood as a whole was about 62% Obama, with the highly urban parts the most Democratic.

Similarly, La Jolla was about 59% Obama in 2008, and there was only one McCain precinct (not anywhere close to the beach and barely in La Jolla at all, the precinct around Sessions Park).

Coronado Island, though not within the city boundaries, is highly urbanized and remains Republican, however, voting 56% McCain, with only one Obama precinct in the area.
Benj

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »

Does anyone know if Chester (city) PA still elects all republicans on the local level?

A GOP urban machine. One of the last one's left.

They lost in 2011. So the dream may be over. http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2012/01/04/news/doc4f03c47edf85c608558654.txt?viewmode=fullstory
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies