The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:13:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 263227 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: April 23, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »

This thread has turned into quite the deluge of absurd, ignorant, and bad posts.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1826 on: April 23, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »

King raises a valuable point: Is pointless arguing and bickering encouraged in the Deluge? I know we don't allow it in the Comedy Goldmine or the Good Post Gallery, but it seems to make more sense here, since we are getting people to post their bad posts directly into the Deluge. Hm...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1827 on: April 23, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »

King raises a valuable point: Is pointless arguing and bickering encouraged in the Deluge? I know we don't allow it in the Comedy Goldmine or the Good Post Gallery, but it seems to make more sense here, since we are getting people to post their bad posts directly into the Deluge. Hm...

I say no.  These threads are supposed to be highlight reels.  Only the most absurd, ignorant, and worst moments.  There's too many clips of passing the ball to setup the play with convos here.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1828 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

I tend to agree. People defending their absurdity, ignorance, and bad posts qualifies as absurdity, ignorance, and bad posts and cuts out the middleman alerting us to them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1829 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.  He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

The day America has an atheist president is the day it begins its downfall.

That said, I don't think it will ever happen.  I think Christ will be coming back to earth very soon and if He tarries, He won't allow an atheist president.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1830 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »

There's nothing better than a good ol' Bushie quote to bring us back on topic. Wink
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1831 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »

I've always felt uncomfortable about forum members posting photos of non-member friends.
Why? These pics are not of anything illegal or embarassing and are all on facebook anyway. They're not internet virgins.
Facebook =/= all of this forum.

Most people expect that their Facebook photos will stay within their circle. (Of course the photos  don't stay there, but should you really spread them around?)

Yea pretty much. When I put photos on facebook I certainly don't expect them to end up on an internet forum unless I put them there.
Well, please let me welcome you to reality. What goes on facebook does not stay on facebook. Don't like it? Don't go on facebook.

I don't think it's something one should enable.

And yet, it makes perfect sense that he would hold this view.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1832 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:31 AM »

Inouye is not a god.

I am a Schatz supporter. Hanabusa reminds me of Ro Khanna in California, believing that she is entitled to the seat. Schatz has more potential than Hanabusa ever will.

This whole race is gonna be full of some really bad race baiting.. I really shiver to think how nasty it will get in regards to nativist appeals.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1833 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »

If fascism is palingenetic ultranationalism, then at least a few strands of radical thought in Islam could be described as palingenetic ultrareligiosity. I myself wouldn't make the comparison and would caution against it for a whole host of reasons (the concept of 'Islamofascism', as if the content of the belief systems was comparable in either a theoretical or a historical sense, is bizarre, wrongheaded, and dangerous, and I think politicus's post veered dangerously close to that without necessarily in fact diving in), but I don't think it's prima facie absurd.

"Islamofascism" is just a very stupid term that fails to describe any real ideology. The closest thing probably would be something like the ideology Gaddafi claimed, or maybe Hamas, but in those cases it's still a pointless term to use to describe them.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1834 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »

My cousin, the mother of the three nephews and sister-in-law to my Pastor, has turned lesbian.  This saddens my Pastor and his wife, like you wouldn't believe.  They cry every night together crying out to God to bring her out of this destructive lifestyle and back to Himself.  I'm a little more accepting of it, but still not supportive of it.  I still pray that God would bring her out of it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1835 on: April 24, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »

I'm surprised that a left-wing guy like TNF would say that, but I agree.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1836 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

All the great trilogies have three parts:

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
Perception is not the same thing as reality. You can put on all the dresses and take all the hormones you want. It sincerely doesn't offend or affect me. You can also wear high heeled shoes and make people think that you are taller than you really are too. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. However, you're still a guy and your experiences and perceptions are drastically different than those who grew up and continue to be female without the trans trauma. Not there there is a universal female experience, obviously.

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
Perception is not the same thing as reality. You can put on all the dresses and take all the hormones you want. It sincerely doesn't offend or affect me. You can also wear high heeled shoes and make people think that you are taller than you really are too. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. However, you're still a guy and your experiences and perceptions are drastically different than those who grew up and continue to be female without the trans trauma. Not there there is a universal female experience, obviously.

We are talking about how society treats drj101. Read her post again.
His perception of how society treats him is different than most women's perceptions of their own lives because of his circumstances. Read my post again.

Wait, Dr J is a female impersonator as well?
It's a harmless hobby. I don't hold it against him.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1837 on: April 24, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

Keeping in mind, this is from a pro-religion poster
The thing is, normative male heterosexuality should be critiqued.

We're listening.  Smiley  

There are people here who can do this much better than I can, but the basic takeaway is that it's more than anything else an instrument of control, and a lot of what straight men (and people who aren't straight men, in all fairness) think is a 'natural' or 'normal' aspect of their or others' sexuality is an outgrowth of that dynamic of control.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1838 on: April 24, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=172549.0

Too many in here to name.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1839 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

Memphis, you only post that here because Nathan questioned you. Period.
Whether or not this is true has zero bearing on whether it belongs here.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1840 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 06:52:00 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Memphis, you only post that here because Nathan questioned you. Period.
Whether or not this is true has zero bearing on whether it belongs here.

Funnily enough, I agree verbatim.

1. 'Pro-religion' without further qualifiers is a really weird term.
2. There are good and bad types of control. Control of human shortsightedness through gazing fixedly at the promise and hope of the world to come=good. Control of people who aren't straight men by straight men using sexuality as an instrument of said control=bad. Do you see?
3. Have you ever even heard the phrase 'liberation theology'?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1841 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »

Autism: Autism autism autism autism autism, autism autism autism autism autism.

Autism!

This forums war on Memphis is worse than the assault on Miles for his views on marriage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1842 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »

Dude, please click on that quote's link for God's sake. And then delete your post. You're unwittingly propagating a slander.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1843 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »

Dude, please click on that quote's link for God's sake. And then delete your post. You're unwittingly propagating a slander.
Ah, it appeared as if he edited his post to something else. My apologies. My feelings on Wyodon's witch hunt remain the same.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1844 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

Ah, it appeared as if he edited his post to something else. My apologies. My feelings on Wyodon's witch hunt remain the same.

You mean Wyodon-and-that-half-of-the-forum-who-isn't-exactly-fond-of-sexism's witch hunt, I guess.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1845 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

And he only shows the respect for religion and conservatives that they usually deserve, of course.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1846 on: April 24, 2013, 10:15:06 PM »

You mean Wyodon-and-that-half-of-the-forum-who-isn't-exactly-fond-of-sexism's witch hunt, I guess.
Your right, we should lynch everyone who has put their foot in their mouths everywhere. If we are going to do that, than lynch me first. This forum gangs up on anyone who ventures outside their political circles; you do not see the rightwing of this forum bashing 20RP12 for becoming a leftist. The only thing Memphis has said so far that I have not heard come from any other man was the correlation between clothes and rape, which is indeed a terrible, terrible argument to make, and a more terrible thing to even think. That does not make Memphis a "horrible person."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1847 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »

Your right, we should lynch everyone who has put their foot in their mouths everywhere. If we are going to do that, than lynch me first. This forum gangs up on anyone who ventures outside their political circles; you do not see the rightwing of this forum bashing 20RP12 for becoming a leftist. The only thing Memphis has said so far that I have not heard come from any other man was the correlation between clothes and rape, which is indeed a terrible, terrible argument to make, and a more terrible thing to even think. That does not make Memphis a "horrible person."

Memphis hasn't "put his foot on his mouth". He has taken precise positions on a set on issues, and never backed away from these positions. This is not a gaffe, nor it is "accidental sexism". This is plain, simple bigotry. And if you are a bigot, you should be called a bigot.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #1848 on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »

How did memphis' clothes comment turn into "women shouldn't dress like prostitutes if they don't wanna get raped."?

I would not blame a victim of rape. Ever. At the same time, we all live in an imperfect world and need to be mindful of that fact. I wouldn't leave my front door wide open lest somebody loot my modest possessions. It wouldn't be my fault somebody stole my stuff, but it would have been wiser to be more conscious of the risks out there in the world.

He explicitly stated that women are never at fault for being victimized in that way, but all the same would do well to practice caution in unpredictable situations. Comparing the scenario to simple theft cheapens the impact of rape, to say the least, but this is the internet and it's a brain-dead easy analogy to make off the cuff.

Beyond that, he seems to think the biological differences between men and women are too vast for true sexual integration to occur. Again, what is controversial about that viewpoint? Is this not a commonly held stance amongst people? I understand the goal is to deconstruct the concepts of sexual archetypes, but you're seriously calling anyone who thinks this way an irredeemably evil bigot misogynist sexist whateverist. Do you guys routinely crucify weird uncle Clem when he makes off-color comments at Christmas dinner?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1849 on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »

How did memphis' clothes comment turn into "women shouldn't dress like prostitutes if they don't wanna get raped."?

I would not blame a victim of rape. Ever. At the same time, we all live in an imperfect world and need to be mindful of that fact. I wouldn't leave my front door wide open lest somebody loot my modest possessions. It wouldn't be my fault somebody stole my stuff, but it would have been wiser to be more conscious of the risks out there in the world.

He explicitly stated that women are never at fault for being victimized in that way, but all the same would do well to practice caution in unpredictable situations. Comparing the scenario to simple theft cheapens the impact of rape, to say the least, but this is the internet and it's a brain-dead easy analogy to make off the cuff.

Beyond that, he seems to think the biological differences between men and women are too vast for true sexual integration to occur. Again, what is controversial about that viewpoint? Is this not a commonly held stance amongst people? I understand the goal is to deconstruct the concepts of sexual archetypes, but you're seriously calling anyone who thinks this way an irredeemably evil bigot misogynist sexist whateverist. Do you guys routinely crucify weird uncle Clem when he makes off-color comments at Christmas dinner?
Here's the deal with the mob. They're just as certain as can be that women are at all times and in all circumstances victims. It's a fundamental postulate to their position. With that established, they are constantly on the lookout for anybody who can play the role of evil woman hating whatever. Because you can't have a victim without a bad guy. So, whenever anybody suggests something that is in any way different to their point of view, they have their woman hating, rape supporting, burkha enforcing aggressor, and, thus, their world view is validated, and at the same time they get to feel morally superior.
And yes, the placement of this conversation is such so that I'm posting directly into the deluge. It doesn't make what I said any less true and you are ever so clever for pointing it out...
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies