2020 New York Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:10:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 105866 times)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »

I tried my hand at a fair 26-district map of New York state.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is 0.14%, and it reflects 2015 - 2019 ACS Data.

95/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
73/100 on the Compactness Index
55/100 on County Splitting
67/100 on the Minority Representation index
42/100 on Dave's competitiveness index

The map above shows results from a composite of the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Presidential Election (being the only option available on DRA).

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2012/2016 U.S. Presidential Elections in New York state composite: 20D to 6R

Opinions?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »

I'm waiting to see the changes which occurred to Borough Park, Kiryas Joel, and those other Ultra-Orthodox Jewish areas when the 2020 Presidential results come out (supposedly they swung hard Trump). They could have big effects due to their fast population growth and the immense margins they vote for Republicans by.

Even if they aren't all voting-age yet, they grow exponentially each decade and could cause some political shifts.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:44:04 PM »

I'm very surprised I haven't seen a single Staten Island split in this thread so far.
What do you all think about this?

Image Link

I think that firstly, it's fair to give a Republican seat in Staten Island-Borough Park, and also on the flipside as a bone to Democrats, this can help contain Republican trends and population growth in the region. I also contend that it's aesthetically a good district.

The 2012-2016 Composite has the above district as 60.2% R - 39.8% D, but its quite likely that this raised to some 70% or 80% R by the 2020 U.S. Presidential election. Maybe somebody who has spare time could run the numbers and find out?

Here's the link to the district (and the rest of the map as well, which I'm preparing a post for)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »

I tried my hand at a fair congressional map of New York state using the 2020 census results.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is less than 0.01%.

93/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
65/100 on the Compactness Index
50/100 on County Splitting
75/100 on the Minority Representation index
35/100 on Dave's competitiveness index

The map above shows results from a composite of the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Presidential elections in New York state, all that is currently available.

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2012/2016 U.S. Presidential Elections in New York state composite: 21D to 5R

The above map has four Black-opportunity seats, one in Queens, two in Brooklyn, and one in the Bronx. One of the Brooklyn districts is a majority-Black seat, but the other three Black districts are over 40% Black. It's getting more and more difficult to draw the seats, though, over time. A little bit of precinct trading could possibly get the Queens district and the less Black Brooklyn district above 50% Black, but soon enough, that majority will be gone as African Americans continue to leave the city.

It also has one Hispanic-majority district in the Bronx and another district with a Hispanic plurality (47.3% of Population, 45.6% of VAP).

Finally, there's one Asian opportunity seat in Queens with an Asian plurality (38.5% of Population, 39.1% Asian of VAP).

And of course you can't forget Bronz's pet district in Southern Staten Island-Borough Park.

Opinions?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »

All WEAK Republican HACK maps that UNILATERALLY DISARM to the GOP districts should not be viewed by any self-respecting New Yorker

New York deserves THIS:

Image Link

Image Link

DRA Link
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »

Damn you all were saying my Staten Island split was a Republican gerrymander

In reality it's starting to look like that map favored the Democrats lol
Pages: [1]