Where will Trump get his support from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:46:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Where will Trump get his support from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Moderates

Tea Party

Business Conservative

Libertarian

Left of Center Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Where will Trump get his support from?  (Read 6100 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »

Ah if only we knew 6 months ago
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 01:55:30 AM »

Perot-type voters who are registered Republicans will be interested in Trump.  Perot-type voters across the spectrum would support Trump as an Independent, but I don't think Trump's into that kind of thing.

Trump's a serious candidate, and should be treated that way, if only because he has money, celebrity, and business accomplishments that inspire others to have confidence in him as a leader.  Plus, the guy has some stones, and while they are misdirected at times, people are willing to forgive that then they are spinelessness.  He has an instant following, and while he may or may not build his support from where he's at, he'll be above 2% and Chris Christie probably can't say that nowadays.

There is always a constituency for the Man on Horseback.  What people liked about Perot is that, in many ways, Perot was an up-front Fascist.  People had confidence that Perot would do things, and the Constitution be damned.  Trump inspires that sort of confidence in that sort of voter that would be attracted to this approach. 

I don't see Trump bolting and going Indy.  I don't see him winning the GOP nomination either, but he's positioning himself to be a power in the GOP.  These folks who are ragging on him (mostly half-baked Inside-the-Beltway consultant-types) are folks Trump could put out of business if he were vindictive enough.  Trump is offering American Greatness and he's better at that than the others because people actually think he might deliver.  NO ONE thinks that Rand Paul or Hillary Clinton, or any of the other Republicans will "Make America Great Again".  If the election were really about THAT sentiment (and past elections have been about exactly that), then Trump may well redefine the terms of the 2016 GOP nomination race.

Jesus Christ this was accurate as hell.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »

Perot-type voters who are registered Republicans will be interested in Trump.  Perot-type voters across the spectrum would support Trump as an Independent, but I don't think Trump's into that kind of thing.

Trump's a serious candidate, and should be treated that way, if only because he has money, celebrity, and business accomplishments that inspire others to have confidence in him as a leader.  Plus, the guy has some stones, and while they are misdirected at times, people are willing to forgive that then they are spinelessness.  He has an instant following, and while he may or may not build his support from where he's at, he'll be above 2% and Chris Christie probably can't say that nowadays.

There is always a constituency for the Man on Horseback.  What people liked about Perot is that, in many ways, Perot was an up-front Fascist.  People had confidence that Perot would do things, and the Constitution be damned.  Trump inspires that sort of confidence in that sort of voter that would be attracted to this approach. 

I don't see Trump bolting and going Indy.  I don't see him winning the GOP nomination either, but he's positioning himself to be a power in the GOP.  These folks who are ragging on him (mostly half-baked Inside-the-Beltway consultant-types) are folks Trump could put out of business if he were vindictive enough.  Trump is offering American Greatness and he's better at that than the others because people actually think he might deliver.  NO ONE thinks that Rand Paul or Hillary Clinton, or any of the other Republicans will "Make America Great Again".  If the election were really about THAT sentiment (and past elections have been about exactly that), then Trump may well redefine the terms of the 2016 GOP nomination race.

Jesus Christ this was accurate as hell.
Yeah holy sh**t. It's interesting I was reading a book called "The Populist Explosion" and it goes into detail about how both Trump's and Perot's base comes from a sort of "Middle American Radical" voter first documented by political scientists in the 70'. The book was written before Trump won in November but after he clinched the nomination. If you really wanna see what's going on in America right now you've gotta learn about the MAR's imo.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies