Is Abortion restrictions motivated by slower population growth? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:20:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Abortion restrictions motivated by slower population growth? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Is Abortion restrictions motivated by slower population growth?  (Read 948 times)
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: September 09, 2021, 04:18:56 AM »

No.  All of this is from the religious right.  Interestingly enough, Roe when first decided in the ruling by Justice Blackmun, was from what I've read was really a Catholic thing - like Catholic groups expressed grave concern, but it took a while to become this political movement and then in the late 70s, there were several issues that created the modern day religious right (which may or may not today be waning and fading away, I'm not sure about that because it's extremely powerful within the Republican Party's base).

I know there was opposition to what was believed to be a liberal Supreme Court that was attacking religious people's rights (and this is what they believed) to practice their religion without any interference from the state, and that kind of Barry Goldwater thinking was becoming very popular and would manifest itself with Ronald Reagan's campaign in 1980.

Oddly enough in today's world with this terrible Plague we have, it's that same group of people in our society that have made it very hard to contain this virus, and they are dying because of it so it's a real problem that needs to be addressed.  Religious fundamentalism of any religion and any deity leads to excess and it can eventually be a perversion of the religion itself.

These "body issues" - gay love, gay intimacy, women's sexuality, premarital intimacy between two people, and everything that has to do with having a baby and creating a family - these issues are the number one issues to a huge swath of Americans in the electorate and they've been prodded and pushed by some very charismatic religious right spokespeople over the decades, starting with the televangelists in the 1980s and their shows with very high ratings....

but to bring it back to the restrictions, I think this is entirely about pleasing the base of the Republican Party, getting their votes to keep these state legislators in office, saving them from primary defeats because that is a huge fear to any aspiring conservative Republican politician, and delivering for that base...

Even in conservative states this is not going to be popular.  They think it's good but it's backfiring, as it should.  A full-on assault on every single aspect of a woman's pregnancy and her reproductive rights at the very early part of the pregnancy is scary... it's not saving lives, it's endangering them, and I'm someone that's going through my own personal evolution on abortion - going from someone that was once very outspokenly pro-life to someone that's starting to think that maybe there's a possibility that I'm not looking at the whole picture here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies