Create fictional cities and guess how they vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:39:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Create fictional cities and guess how they vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Create fictional cities and guess how they vote  (Read 7146 times)
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« on: August 08, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »

Given above average educational attainment, population density, and lack of religiosity, I am going to say Biden +10-15; the lack of racial diversity and presence of the logging industry suggests a healthy Republican base which is why I wouldn't expect a larger margin. This city has trended D / is continuing to do so, and probably went for Romney in 2012, or Obama by a narrower margin.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

Given above average educational attainment, population density, and lack of religiosity, I am going to say Biden +10-15; the lack of racial diversity and presence of the logging industry suggests a healthy Republican base which is why I wouldn't expect a larger margin. This city has trended D / is continuing to do so, and probably went for Romney in 2012, or Obama by a narrower margin.
Thanks. Please feel free to create a fictional city of your own.

Ah, sorry!

Population: ~80K (stagnant)
Racial Demographics: 42% White, 40% Hispanic, 15% Black, 3% Other
Religiousness: Below average religiosity; plurality Catholic but far short of a majority
Density: Urban, medium density
Median Household Income: $28,000
Dominant Industries: Healthcare, Manufacturing
College graduation rate (over 25 y/o population): 10%
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 04:37:50 PM »

Population: 198,309
Demographics: 53% Chinese, 24% White, Other Asian 19%, Black 1%, Hispanic 1%
Religiousness: Low overall, but concerted presence of Buddhists and other less common religions
Median Income: $65,200
Density: Urban-suburban
Dominant Industries: services, tourism, aviation, government
College graduation rate: High

Same as Scott - this is a real city. Take a flier.

Quite Democratic, and trended much more to the left in the age of Trump. Probably gave Obama less than 60% in 2012 but Biden in 2020 a lot more than 60%. (Also, what city is this?)

How about this one?
POPULATION: 59100 (2019 estimate); 58300 (2010 census)
DEMOGRAPHICS (racial): 50% white; 26% African-American; 16% Hispanic; 5% Asian; 1% Native American; 2% other/multiple
DEMOGRAPHICS (gender): 52.7% female; 46.0% male; 1.3% transgender
DEMOGRAPHICS (religious): 27% Protestant; 20% Catholic; 13% Jewish; 7% Mormon; 6% Muslim; 14% some other religion; 13% nonreligious
DEMOGRAPHICS (LGBTA+): 15.3% LGBTA+; 1.3% transgender; 9.5% homosexual (5.5% lesbian; 4.0% gay); 3.5% bisexual; 0.9% asexual; 0.1% other LGBTA+
MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME: $49,000
MAJOR INDUSTRIES: Biotech; Manufacturing; Government; Tourism; Sales
EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT: Postgraduate degree, 25%; Bachelor's degree, 24%; High school, 28%; Less than High school, 21%
REGION: Midwest (not to be confused with the Great Plains)

This town seems incredibly Democratic given racial diversity, high LGBT population, high educational attainment, and biotech presence. I am inclined to think a place like this only exists in the NYC / Boston / SF / LA metros, but you said Midwest, so I'm guessing it's near Chicago, or otherwise some sort of liberal college town (but then education would be a major industry)?

I am going to skip adding a new one because there are a few that nobody has done either of these  yet:

Population: 43,202 (declining)
Demographics: 66% White, 27% Black, 5% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 1% Native American
Religiousness: Church attendance slightly above average, with 35% of the population being Methodist, 30% of the population is Methodist, 20% of the population is Catholic
Median Household Income: $38,700
College graduation rate (over 25 y/o): 18%
Density: Urban-Suburban mix
Dominant Industries: Manufacturing, Tourism, and Insurance

Population: 7,800 (decreasing)
Demographics: 96% White, 1.6% Hispanic, 0.7% Black, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% Native American
Median Household Income: $55k
Population Density: Dense suburban
College graduation rate (over 25 y/o): 24%
Religiousity: About the national average for Church attendance. The population is majority Protestant, but with a higher Catholic population than the national average
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies