Things Get Nuttier in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:56:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Things Get Nuttier in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Things Get Nuttier in 2020  (Read 60486 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

Of you intend to have Christie lose, Id rather the nominee be Sestak, Edelen or Kind. But if Chrisie wins, I hope Booker wins and loses in a landslide.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »

Definitely supporting Kind over Sestak now, but I like them both Smiley And I'm glad Edelen carried SC, he seems to be an interesting choice.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:14 PM »

Of you intend to have Christie lose, Id rather the nominee be Sestak, Edelen or Kind. But if Chrisie wins, I hope Booker wins and loses in a landslide.

Honestly, I have no intentions on where to go with Christie, that's a long ways away Tongue.

Definitely supporting Kind over Sestak now, but I like them both Smiley And I'm glad Edelen carried SC, he seems to be an interesting choice.

Going for the underdog I see.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »

It's the natural inclination of Democrats. Kiki
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

I'm actually rooting for Edelen! Moderate Republican vs Moderate Democrat in the GE.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

It's the natural inclination of Democrats. Kiki

True.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »

This sounds like an excellent group of Democratic candidates; I would strongly support all 3 of Booker, Sestak, and Kind in a general election and though I don't know Edelen that much he seems likable.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

Nevada Drama!

Matheson wins endorsement of Former Republican Mayor Bob Cashell

"I believe in Governor Matheson, as he showed a lot of the promise that Governor Christie showed when he was running. Unfortunately, as soon as Christie became President, he became completely tone deaf, something Governor Matheson is clearly not.

After mixed to low support all around and even in Nevada, Matheson is starting to get some momentum with independents by gaining the endorsement of Moderate Republican former mayor of Reno Bob Cashell. This endorsement looks like it will shake up some support with independents, but it may not be enough for Matheson.

Governor Miller endorses Governor Joe Sestak

"We need someone who can sufficently challenge the President while at the same time standing in the middle and having the executive experience to show for it. As a fellow executive, I believe Joe Sestak is the only choice."

In a bigger and more important endorsement to Democrats, Governor Miller has thrown his hat behind Joe Sestak, after seeing the merit of both Cory Booker and Joe Sestak for a long while. He had met with Ron Kind but didn't think much of it. This is a big boost for Governor Sestak in the state.

Edelen skips Nevada, throws his weight into Florida

"Our campaign is certainly an underdog campaign. We need to, like a family, evaluate our resources smartly. Therefore, I am moving my resources into Florida."

Last Poll of Nevada: Sestak and Matheson up, Edelen and Kind down

Nevada Poll:
Governor Joe Sestak: 30%
Senator Cory Booker: 24%
Governor Jim Matheson: 20%
Senator Ron Kind: 13%
Senator Adam Edelen: 8%
Undecided: 4%

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

Joe Sestak
Cory Booker
Jim Matheson

BLACKJACK!

Sestak wins Nevada, Booker edges Matheson for third

Nevada Poll:
Governor Joe Sestak: 32.3%
Senator Cory Booker: 24.4%
Governor Jim Matheson: 22.8%
Senator Ron Kind: 13.7%
Senator Adam Edelen: 6.8%

Governor Jim Matheson ends Presidential ambitions, endorses Edelen

"I still believe there is a model for leadership and job creation in Utah, and I stand by that, but I must bow out of this race. I endorse Adam Edelen, who feels the same way I do about a need for Democrats to hold a local and moderate sense about their politics."

After weeks and weeks of spending time in Utah, Matheson's final momentum in the state came a bit too late, as he managed to soar from low double digits and high single digits to 20%, in some polls, beating Booker for second after a major endorsement from a Republican mayor. Nevertheless, Matheson was pushing for a very good second place finish or an all out win, and with neither under his belt, Matheson decided to drop his campaign. Most pundits believed that his choice of endorsement, Adam Edelen, only made sense considering Mathesons blue dog credentials and Edelen's generally moderate tenure as the Senator of Kentucky.

Delegates:
Governor Joe Sestak: 50
Senator Cory Booker: 36
Senator Ron Kind: 27
Senator Adam Edelen: 24 (Including 7 from Jim Matheson)

Sestak takes his first lead nationally

National Polls:
Governor Joe Sestak: 32%
Senator Cory Booker: 29%
Senator Adam Edelen: 24%
Senator Ron Kind: 13%
Undecided: 3%

Florida:
Senator Cory Booker: 32%
Governor Joe Sestak: 28%
Senator Adam Edelen: 26%
Senator Ron Kind: 8%
Undecided: 6%

Minnesota Poll:
Senator Ron Kind: 30%
Senator Cory Booker: 27%
Senator Adam Edelen: 10%
Undecided: 5%

Missouri Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 31%
Senator Ron Kind: 18%
Senator Cory Booker: 15%

Colorado Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 25%
Senator Ron Kind: 21%
Senator Cory Booker: 20%
Undecided: 6%

As many will notice, the Edelen endorsement from Matheson helped significantly. Edelen, before, was polling in last in Colorado at 10%, behind Matheson's somewhat more sturdy 15%. With that endorsement, Edelen gets catapulted to second place, ahead of Ron Kind and Cory Booker, but still behind a surging Sestak, The race ahead looks much like a proverbial mess, but Sestak has a lot of advantages in the road ahead that Senator Booker may not have.

Senator Booker heavy in Florida, looking tough to beat

"Florida needs a strong leader who understands the legislative process and doesn't just shout at people like President Christie has done. I would be a willing and able leader in that process."

Edelen wins Bob Graham endorsement

"I believe Senator Edelen has the right local temperament to be the President, something none of these candidates have."

Coming up: Can Booker hold on to his lead in Florida? Can Sestak or Edelen make an upset in the state? Is Ron Kind still relevant? and most importantly, can ANY of these candidates beat President Christie in the general? Find out next on...

Things Get Nuttier in 2020.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »

Money's on Edelen in Florida. Graham will help big time.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Economies is boomin'

Unemployment dips below 6% for the first time in years

"Not sure what I can tell ya, but we did it!"

Do you approve of the job President Chris Christie has done?
Yes: 53%
No: 44%
Not Sure: 3%

General Election Polls:

President Chris Christie: 49%
Senator Cory Booker: 47%

President Chris Christie: 51%'
Governor Joe Sestak: 45%

President Chris Christie: 49%
Senator Adam Edelen: 42%
Undecided: 9%

President Chris Christie: 48%
Senator Ron Kind: 39%
Undecided: 13%

With Christie's approval rating at +9, the strongest he's been since he became President, he is now leading all of the Democratic candidates by at least 2 and by as much as 9. He's above 50 against Joe Sestak, not a great sign for his campaign. The other candidates he edges 50 but that's not necessarily a sign he will win. He beats Booker by 2 (49-47), Edelen by 7 (49-42), and Kind by 9 (48-39). However, a lot of the lower numbers for Edelen and Kind are still due to name recognition. Not very many non-Democratic voters know who Adam Edelen is, similarly to Ron Kind. These numbers aren't necessarily too helpful for anyone not named Chris Christie, but its a decent indicator of who has a shot and who doesn't.

Booker wins Senator Sink's endorsement

Governor Iorio endorses Sestak

Last Poll before the Florida Primary

Florida:
Senator Adam Edelen: 30%
Senator Ron Kind: 6%

Cory Booker looks like he'll win the Florida primary, but once again, one has to look out for the surging Edelen campaign, who has been very insurgent in areas where his campaign has decided to stand. News of Sestak not being able to beat Christie has hurt him more than the others because his name recognition has started to get to the level of Cory Booker. Kind has obviously shifted money out of Florida and into Minnesota, where he needs a win or else his campaign  ends.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »

Cory Booker
Adam Edelen
Joe Sestak

OH NOOOOOO

Booker barely holds on to Florida

Florida Primary:
Senator Cory Booker: 33.0%
Senator Adam Edelen: 32.8%
Governor Joe Sestak: 28.5%
Senator Ron Kind: 5.7%

It seems like Cory Booker won the Florida on the strength of two of the most populous counties and within a point finishes in most of the other counties to Adam Edelen. Nevertheless, of the three candidates, Booker won the least amount of counties in the state of Florida, which should be troubling for his candidacy. Most of the media is reporting this in Edelens favor, saying that he came so close to pulling away with Florida even though just a week ago he was toiling away in third place. Mr. Bookers candidacy looks like it's some hot water after this skinflint win, and the harm is already being done: he's in third in the latest national poll (though he is within the margin of error of the electoral lead.

Delegates:
Senator Cory Booker: 108
Governor Joe Sestak: 102
Senator Adam Edelen: 84
Senator Ron Kind: 27

National Polls:
Governor Joe Sestak: 29%
Senator Adam Edelen: 28%
Senator Cory Booker: 27%
Senator Ron Kind: 14%

Minnesota Poll:
Senator Ron Kind: 29%
Senator Cory Booker: 25%
Senator Adam Edelen: 12%

Missouri Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 36%
Senator Ron Kind: 16%
Senator Cory Booker: 13%

Colorado Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 30%
Senator Ron Kind: 19%
Senator Cory Booker: 18%

Edelen takes the lead in Colorado and Missouri, but who is he?

Senator Adam Edelen is looking more and more like a dark horse who has managed to take over the Democratic party, but he has astoundingly low name recognition for a Democratic leader. Joe Sestak has upper 80s name recognition, while Booker has mid 90s name recognition. Edelen hovers around 40% right now: 23% Favorable and 17% Unfavorable. Among Democrats those numbers are obviously much more favorable and more noted, but he has the lowest name recognition of any democrats among other democrats. So how did he manage this campaign turn around?

Quite simply, he has managed to bridge a gap between conservative and moderate democrats, and he has brought his Kentucky democrat machine to a national stage, where his GOTV mechanism has been unusually successful in states where he stands as competitive. With these headlines, he's been able to push his name across the nation. It sounds quite similar to one other Democrat President, doesn't it?

Where does Cory Booker go from here? Michigan? Arizona? Maine? or does he build up his campaign for a strong Super Tuesday showing?

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

This is one of the best modern timelines I've ever read.

I'm guessing Edelen takes the nomination, and loses a squeaker to Christie in the general just based on things going too well to change Presidents. But I would not be surprised at all to see Edelen come back in 2024 and win it all. He'd only be in his 50s then.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »

The GE election map with Edelen would be beautiful:)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »

Keep up the good work!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »

Triple double!

Ron Kind stands with Former Republican Governor Arne Carlson

"Since I've finally left the Republican Party, I've stood as an independent fighting to help Minnesota. Ideology is too small a thing to create good communities. That's why, in spite of ideological differences, I endorse Wisconsin Senator Ron Kind for President."

Ron Kind has maintained many Democratic endorsements in Minnesota, most of them from state legislatures and from Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar, but tonight, he gets more of a general election endorsement from the aging Former Governor and Former Republican Arne Carlson. This might help his levels with independents, and possibly get him the Minnesota primary he so desperately needs to continue his candidacy.

Missouri: Sestak bringing big guns

"If there's one thing you gotta know about us Sestak's... we don't go out without a fight."

Sestak is being beaten on average by 5 points in polls in Missouri, a state crucial to his campaign. Knowing his ability, however, Sestak has the power to barrage Edelen with ads. The question: Will this technique work? Edelen has been underfunded this entire time, but has moved further and further due to good will, word of mouth, and fantastic GOTV. Sestak has a strong, somewhat inherited Clinton machine, but that machine is split to Edelen's team too, and unlike Sestak, Edelen's camp has been developing some techniques. Overall, Sestak's ad barrage may have some effect, but a lot of people are saying it won't be enough for him to swipe back Missouri.

Mark Udall stands with Sestak

"Governor Sestak has views and strengths as Governor I believe would benefit this nation in a way that the other candidates seem to miss me."

Senator Booker flies up to Maine to protect his spot

"We are not old news, in fact, we are moving the meter forward with our campaign."

Maine Poll:
Senator Cory Booker: 35%
Governor Joe Sestak: 25%
Senator Adam Edelen: 20%
Senator Ron Kind: 16%

Last Poll before the Triple Primary

Minnesota Poll:
Senator Ron Kind: 31%
Senator Cory Booker: 23%
Senator Adam Edelen: 12%

Missouri Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 37%
Governor Joe Sestak: 34%
Senator Ron Kind: 15%
Senator Cory Booker: 12%
Undecided: 2%

Colorado Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 31%
Senator Ron Kind: 18%
Senator Cory Booker: 17%

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2013, 02:29:26 AM »

Booker needs to hold Maine and squeak out a win in Michigan to keep his momentum. Otherwise everything becomes a toss up going into Super Tuesday...this primary is great!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2013, 05:19:06 AM »

Go not-Edelen!
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: March 15, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »

Not so Kind

Sestak swipes Minnesota, Edelen holds in Missouri and Colorado

Minnesota:
Governor Joe Sestak: 32.3%
Senator Ron Kind: 32.1%
Senator Cory Booker: 23.7%
Senator Adam Edelen: 11.9%

Missouri:
Senator Adam Edelen: 39.7%
Governor Joe Sestak: 35.2%
Senator Ron Kind: 14.5%
Senator Cory Booker: 10.6%

Colorado:
Senator Adam Edelen: 34.9%
Governor Joe Sestak: 33.2%
Senator Ron Kind: 16.6%
Senator Cory Booker: 15.3%

Ron Kind ends campaign, no endorsement

"This road is over for me, therefore I must leave this race"

Delegates:
Governor Joe Sestak: 191
Senator Adam Edelen: 147
Senator Cory Booker: 138
Unallocated: 64

National Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 36%
Senator Cory Booker: 26%

Maine Poll:
Senator Cory Booker: 33%
Senator Adam Edelen: 25%
Undecided: 12%

Arizona Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 40%
Senator Cory Booker: 29%
Governor Joe Sestak: 23%
Undecided: 8%

Michigan Poll:
Senator Adam Edelen: 27%

Joe Sestak's close run-ins in Missouri and Colorado combined with his win in Minnesota made him the winner of today's delegate count (89-85), but to say that the momentum is anyone but Senator Edelen's side is a lie for sure. Edelen now holds a seven point lead nationally, trumping Booker and Sestak. Worse yet, Cory Booker, who by most polls shows as the most likely candidate to beat President Christie, as at the bottom of this three way race, holding a ten point distance between him and Senator Edelen. However, this next contest does not show Senator Edelen too much in competition: he's an eight point distance from first with Sestak and Booker fighting for the lead in that state. However, Edelen does look like a lock in the state of Arizona, and if he upsets again in the state of Michigan, the race may already be over for Booker and Sestak. Only time will tell...

Booker moves massive resources to Michigan: This campaign is far from over

"I'm the only candidate who comes close to winning the White House!"

Joe Sestak eagerly awaiting Former President Obama's endorsement

"I think Former President Barack Obama will look at this campaign and say, these are the guys that represent the underdogs that I gotta stand for!"

Will Cory Booker win Michigan? Or will Joe Sestak? Most importantly, will there be a united liberal wing of the Democratic party to beat Adam Edelen? Find out next...

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »

Dammit, come on Sestak!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »

E-de-len! E-de-len! E-de-len!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »

I would probably vote for Edelen in the primaries were this to happen. That being said, with the way things are going, I'd certainly stand behind President Christie for reelection.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Edelen 2016!!!
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2013, 04:01:46 PM by bballrox4717 »

Booker seems on his way out. Here's hoping Sestak takes Maine, Michigan, and at least make Arizona close. I would definitely be open to voting for Edelen though, he's run a smart campaign.

Kind seems like an awesome VP candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies