Longwood University Vice Presidential debate @ 9pm ET **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:20:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Longwood University Vice Presidential debate @ 9pm ET **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Longwood University Vice Presidential debate @ 9pm ET **live commentary thread**  (Read 9697 times)
PeteB
Canada

« on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
« edited: October 04, 2016, 02:49:59 PM by PeteB »

The VP debate tonight is probably more important than a veep debate in a normal election year, so I figured we should have proposed strategies for both Pence and Kaine.  Let me start, with some thoughts:

Pence's proposed strategy

If I was advising Pence, I would suggest that he does NOT defend Trump. He should deflect those questions, take the initiative and present a conservative vision of America, throwing in Trump's red meat pieces (border security, jobs, lower taxes, etc.). He should also remind voters about Clinton's negatives and try and get a point across that "she has as many or more negatives and deficiencies as Trump". That would give Trump a chance (which he probably won't take Smiley) to deliver a strong performance next week, and catch up with Clinton. If he has the opportunity, Pence should say something like this:

"Senator, your candidate Secretary Clinton, represents everything that is wrong with America today. I would actually consider voting for you, but not for her. None of us is perfect, including myself or Mr. Trump, but at least the Trump/Pence ticket offers change and the chance to make America great again."

Kaine's proposed strategy

If I was advising Kaine, I would suggests that he engages in shadow boxing (i.e. ignore Pence and go against the invisible opponent in the room - Trump). He should argue against Trump's vision, and tie any reasonable Pence arguments into Trump's unreasonable ones. If he has the opportunity, Kaine should say something like this:

"Governor, I disagree with you on a lot of issues, but I think that you are a capable leader who, in your own way, believe in some important values. Unfortunately you are not the Presidential candidate and Mr. Trump, who is, is NEITHER capable, nor does he subscribe to those values. I am sorry to say but there is only one option in this election and it is Secretary Clinton."‎
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »

Of course, if you are not a policy wonk, this is what you probably think of the VP debate:

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »

i pray kaine doesn't bomb totally...he clearly is no biden and i guess he also doesn't have HRC's killer instinct.

the more boring the better for kaine i guess.

I actually think Kaine is a pretty capable speaker, but Pence may be a better debater, by virtue of his radio experience.  Realistically, Kaine has the easier job but also has more to lose. 

Clinton/Kaine is ahead right now, and Trump is perceved as unsuitable - Kaine has to demonstrate that Pence is just "Trump redux" to win - no easy feat.

Pence (if he takes my advice above Smiley), and does not try to waste time explaining and justifying Trump's words, could  gain a lot, simply by showing up and having a decent debate.

I suspect that, if there was a choice, the Clinton Kaine team would take a draw and skip the debate.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »

Kaine has to demonstrate that Pence is just "Trump redux" to win - no easy feat.

Not sure why that's necessary.  There's no need to attack Pence, since Trump's the one people care about.  I assume that Kaine will mostly attack Trump and Pence will mostly attack Clinton.  People don't usually vote on the basis of who the VP nominee is, so it seems like a waste of time for them to attack each other.

It is not. If he keeps Pence on the defence, trying to explain Trump's positions, he will at least draw. Which was the preferred strategy I proposed fo him.

However, for the type of win Clinton had against Trump, he will have to get Pence to agree with Trump's crazier ideas.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »

Clinton/Kaine is ahead right now, and Trump is perceved as unsuitable - Kaine has to demonstrate that Pence is just "Trump redux" to win - no easy feat.

Kaine can bring up Pence's extremist views on Planned Parenthood and those religious freedom bills as well. Those aren't mainstream positions.

He definitely could. But Pence may actually welcome that (for him it's probably a much easier argument to have, than Trump's taxes). 
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

Well, now that we know that Pence won, I can go to bed Smiley.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:05:07 PM »

Kaine answers first.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

No one is winning - this is live action Atlas overreaction.

I'm pretty sure this will be called a tie, give or take.

Even a tie is probably a win for GOP. But so far Pence is more presidential.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »

With all due respect, Pence is driving his points (whatever you may think of them) while Kaine seems all over the place. He really should focus on Trump's biggest faults, not try to rebutt everything Pence says.

And FTR, whoever convinced Trump to pick Pence was smart. He is definitely helping him.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 09:22:05 PM »

Lol nobody cares about North Korea. Kim Jong Un is watching this and fuming!
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »

Kaine's answer on the faith question is the best so far. Pence decides to stick abortion in the debate here. Kaine gives a very good answer and finally goads Pence for a moment into explaining Trump's inconsistencies.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »

CNN spinning for Pence right away with Jake Tapper.

No doubt that Pence won. In fact, given the Trump BS he had to work with, he was very good. Will it matter? Only if Trump hits it out of the park in the next debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies