UK General Discussion: Rishecession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:17:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 252581 times)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« on: September 05, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
« edited: September 05, 2022, 02:39:27 PM by MABA 2020 »

Before we move on to Truss I just want to say at the end of the Boris Johnson era, what an anticlimax that was. I honestly thought Johnson would end up being a fairly significant PM, especially after the 2019 election, but not really.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »

As for Truss, victory speech today was a bit awkward. (Love the thread title btw)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 05:00:20 PM »

As for Truss, victory speech today was a bit awkward. (Love the thread title btw)

Has she ever given a speech that isn't

Fair point, I largely avoided the leadership contest, didn't watch any hustings (why would I subject myself to that) and so watching her victory speech my main take away was "hey, she's not very good at this"
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:46:23 PM »

You know, in the olden days the death of a monarch would automatically trigger a general election. The Conservatives have to be glad this isn't still the case.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »

I'm glad his sticking with Charles, these kind of superstitions surrounding names are dumb and I hope King Charlie can dispel any ideas of "Charles" being unlucky
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 04:32:57 PM »

Yeah the fuss some are trying to make over the pen is ridiculous, if anything it humanises him.

I've always liked Charles, though I suppose I should be against the institution of the monarchy I still hope Charles is successful as king
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »

I took a week off and then come back to all this chaos, is the Truss government really imploding already?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 05:32:28 PM »

Can't imagine this level of chaos lasting for two years, the party will have to tell Truss to u turn or threaten to remove her which will be a humiliating choice for Truss. Admit you entire economic philosophy and reason for being in politics is nonsense or become the shortest serving PM in history.

MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 03:08:37 PM »

Lol at the Palace now going to war with Truss.

What’s happened? Struggling to find anything.

I think he’s referring to Truss telling the King not to deliver a speech at COP27.

If I was him I wouldn't cancel the flight, Truss might be gone by November
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 05:40:31 AM »

Semi-serious question - can the Tories genuinely recover from such a bad loss? Especially given it appears their support for anyone under the age of 50 at this point has to be close to non-existant?

British politics is very volatile at the moment, it was less than three years ago when Labour was facing extinction with a loss most people thought would take them several terms to come back from.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »

Gove is also fascinating- it is forgotten that he was a devout part of the modernising movement around Cameron and while the Cameron set certainly birthed Trussism in a way (spin over substance, a wilful disregard about what cuts to public spending does etc) it equally can be said that Gove comes from the modernising tradition and understands that politics has changed- as it did in the 2000s and as it did now.

Could Gove also be motivated by the possibility of bringing down Truss and putting himself forward as a unity candidate?
(I don't think this is likely, just raising it for fun)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 05:26:38 PM »

Todays u-turn was funny, but also the right decision if she wants to make it to next year
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 06:45:42 PM »

Obviously Truss will lead Tories over cliff edge if she remains leader so to have any chance of winning, need change in leader.  But do people here think Tories have even an outside chance of winning with a new leader or are they finished?  It is almost feeling like people have decide they are ready for a Labour government.

Truss clearly cannot win an election at this point, but I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of another new leader changing things. Definitely not likely but not impossible either. British politics is very volatile at the moment and there's still two years on the clock.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »

I can definitely believe Boris did this on purpose to screw Truss. Even though he may have preferred Truss to Sunak, he's still clearly seething at being removed in the first place and is probably glad to see his replacement struggle. I'm sure he thinks the failure of the government opens the door for his return too.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 03:54:55 PM »

F**kin' ay:

Nothing gives me more joy than Tories briefing anonymously about how screwed they are, it always makes my evening.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »

Unlike the Prime Minister, I'm not into being humiliated or dominated.

That being said, everybody can feel free to mock me for supporting Liz for Leader.

It's okay, I supported Corbyn in 2015, we all make mistakes.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »

Sacking Kwarteng has destroyed the purpose behind the Truss government and ensured her demise but I don't see how they could replace her with anyone who would be any better? The party seems too divided for a coronation and certainly don't think Sunak works as a unity candidate, the right of the party won't go along with that.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »

Mad this thread has 56 pages already. British politics needs a break.

Yeah I'd appreciate it if Liz hangs around as a zombie PM for a while, the idea of having another leadership election sounds exhausting. Or I guess the best option would be if the Tories somehow pull off a coronation of someone boring and uncontroversial.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 05:55:14 PM »

I swear yesterday things felt like they might calm down a bit, so much for that.

What the country needs is an election as the Tories are clearly incapable of running a functioning government at the moment. But the only people who can make that happen are also the only people who's interests an election are not in. It's a pickle.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »

Thats two Charles, thirteen to go

Seriously though after the chaos of yesterday this is not the most surprising outcome
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »

You called it, well done
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »

I’ve got a very important surgery on the 28th. Bets on whether there’ll be a new PM in office by then?

As it turns out, the 28th has been announced as the date on which the final members' ballot (if it ends up going that far) will close, the results will be announced, & Truss & the new leader will successively head over to the Palace Sad

I appreciate that they're doing the leadership election on fast forward this time
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 12:25:28 PM »

Guarantee this takes a big cut into Labour at the next GE.

Labour is favored but I’d say around 340-350 seats. Nowhere near the landslides

He'll get a honeymoon bounce I'm sure, but with all the economic problems facing the country and the party still fairly divided, I still think we'll be looking at something closer to 400 seats for Labour.

MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2022, 09:53:26 AM »

So how long do we think Braverman will last now? Cos I'd say not long
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2022, 02:00:51 PM »

LMFAO.

Have the Tories become addicted to leadership coups? I think the party needs an intervention.

(obviously I wouldn't take this particularly seriously)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies