Did you vote today? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Did you vote today? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: vote yes if early vote
yes

no

prefer not to say

other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Did you vote today?  (Read 3609 times)
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« on: November 07, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »

Illinois only has school board elections today and I don't feel quite right about voting in school board elections when I don't have any kids in school.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »

Illinois only has school board elections today and I don't feel quite right about voting in school board elections when I don't have any kids in school.

How come? Education is a public good and it has an effect on what the people in your area will know in the future.

Agreeing with Siren, where I live a house valued at $100,000. will pay approximately $2,500 a year in school taxes compared to about $350. in county taxes.

Considering how much of a tax burden schools place on homeowners, everyone should care who serves and how they spend your money.

Y'know what, these are really good points; I hadn't quite thought of it that way.

I apologize if my comment came off as perhaps not caring about the direction of public education nearby. Instead, it's more that I don't really have the knowledge to know if my current board reps are performing their duties well enough for me to endorse the current direction. And to me, that knowledge and forming an opinion on strategic direction comes easier when one has kids in a school district.

Anyways, it can't hurt to try to read up on some of the issues and form enough of an opinion to cast a vote.

Thanks, both of you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies