GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:52:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)  (Read 59198 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 27, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »

GA Republicans have run pretty crappy campaigns this year and I hope they get their act together in the runoff election.

Loeffler and Collins are trying to out-Trump one another in a way that is seriously turning off moderate and even moderately conservative suburbanites. I hope whichever of the two emerges from the first round tones down their rhetoric for the runoff if they care at all about winning.

As for Perdue, he seems to be giving off the impression that he's a career bureaucrat with skeletons in the closest. His Kamala gaffe was also entirely unnecessary and gave the impression that he was mocking her name.

Loeffler will be stuck if she tries to pivot at this point. She has been so transparent about pandering to the far right in order to stave off her primary challenge, that no amount of "toning it down" can help her appeal to moderates.  She is honestly one of the most pathetic politicians I have ever seen in my life. She clearly will do and say anything to get elected. It's crazy how she started her term as traditional, low profile, conservative Senator and then immediately pivoted to employing racist dogwhistles and embracing unhinged conspiracies the minute Doug Collins entered the race. I get it. A politician needs to win in order to accomplish anything, and all politicians pander. But the fact that she did a damn near complete 180 and is now courting conspiracy theorists and racists by using god awful, divisive rhetoric is just a shame. Doug Collins is a bigot too, but at least he seems to genuinely believe what he says. Stacey Abrams royally screwed up by chosing not to enter this race. She could have beaten either one, especially Loeffler, quite easily.

QAnon Kelly has become by #1 least favorite Senator, and that's an accomplishment.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #676 on: October 27, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »

With respect to runoffs - do only valid votes count towards setting the 50% threshold? There's still a write-in section despite no write-in candidates having filed for this race and I'd be interested to know if votes for Zell Miller/Elmo etc. were considered part of the total - if not, only Shane Hazel can cause a runoff.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #677 on: October 27, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

gave the impression that he was mocking her name.
Impression? That's exactly what he was doing lol
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #678 on: October 27, 2020, 03:53:03 PM »

So if this goes to runoff, does Perdue technically have to be appointed for a few days because the runoff is after the new Senate term begins?

From what I've gathered, the seat will just be vacant for a few days.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #679 on: October 27, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »

So if this goes to runoff, does Perdue technically have to be appointed for a few days because the runoff is after the new Senate term begins?

Would he lose all his seniority even if he's re-elected? Sometimes people make an argument for re-electing because of seniority. It'd be funny if he couldn't use that argument.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #680 on: October 27, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »

Did that happen when Saxby Chambliss had his runoff in 2008?

Why would they schedule the runoff so late?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #681 on: October 27, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »

No, because that election was on December 2.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #682 on: October 27, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »

Imagine if Georgia adopted instant runoff voting and we could know the results of both seats on Election Night. What a waste of time and money to string everyone along for 2 extra months.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #683 on: October 27, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »

Imagine if Georgia adopted instant runoff voting and we could know the results of both seats on Election Night. What a waste of time and money to string everyone along for 2 extra months.

It would suck if we don't know control of the senate until January because of these 2 seats. At least in that case they would get a lot of media which would increase turnout, since Democrats tend to do very poorly in off elections in GA.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #684 on: October 27, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »

That would usually mean higher turnout in the second round. There's no way the GAGOP would support that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #685 on: October 27, 2020, 09:39:52 PM »

That would usually mean higher turnout in the second round. There's no way the GAGOP would support that.

Too bad. I guess they'll have to convince people with strong arguments instead of manipulating turnout.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #686 on: October 28, 2020, 01:09:07 AM »

Am I wrong in assuming that runoffs and Jim Crow are related?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #687 on: October 28, 2020, 10:51:08 PM »

Ossoff is going to win.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #688 on: October 28, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »

No, you aren't wrong.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #689 on: October 28, 2020, 11:52:49 PM »

My dad told me when I was little that, in the deep south, if you notice anything weird in literally any sphere (government, infrastructure, sports, education, culture), the answer is always race. Hasn't been wrong yet.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #690 on: October 29, 2020, 01:17:41 AM »

My dad told me when I was little that, in the deep south, if you notice anything weird in literally any sphere (government, infrastructure, sports, education, culture), the answer is always race. Hasn't been wrong yet.

That said, some of it was put in place after the end of Jim Crow when the south had to bend the new rules to maintain white dixicratic rule, rather than relics of the era when the rules guaranteed racial segregation. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2020, 02:20:22 AM »

If Ossoff wins he'd be the youngest senator elected in 40 years (Don Nickles was 32 when he won in 1980).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2020, 06:09:57 AM »

Objectively speaking, Ossoff blew Perdue away in that debate. Whew.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #693 on: October 29, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 06:23:45 AM by ibagli »

Why would they schedule the runoff so late?

The Obama DOJ sued them for holding runoff elections too quickly for compliance with UOCAVA. They need 45 days for that, plus a couple weeks to certify the results (and keep the runoff from being right in the middle of Christmas).

Some runoff jurisdictions send ranked-choice ballots to overseas voters to eliminate the need for a long runoff campaign, but Georgia doesn't.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #694 on: October 29, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »

Ossoff has been at around 25% chance of winning on 538 always; in the last day it's shot up to the closest race in their tracker.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #695 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »

I have to admit, I've been pretty cool to Ossoff all along--he always seemed more sizzle than steak to me.  But that debate moment...damn.  This guy has a big future ahead of him, regardless of how things turn out on Tuesday.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #696 on: October 29, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #697 on: October 29, 2020, 04:23:39 PM »

LMAO Perdue did so bad in the last one that now hes bailing.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #698 on: October 29, 2020, 04:33:39 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 04:36:51 PM by Farmlands »

I have to admit, I've been pretty cool to Ossoff all along--he always seemed more sizzle than steak to me.  But that debate moment...damn.  This guy has a big future ahead of him, regardless of how things turn out on Tuesday.

I've been down on Ossoff since the 2017 election. Although, I now see some of it may have been undeserved, as there were some factors he couldn't really control, like the nationalization of the race. But after his great performance in the primary and this, I'm quite optimistic about his chances.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #699 on: October 29, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »

I have to admit, I've been pretty cool to Ossoff all along--he always seemed more sizzle than steak to me.  But that debate moment...damn.  This guy has a big future ahead of him, regardless of how things turn out on Tuesday.

I've been down on Ossoff since the 2017 election. Although, I now see some of it may have been undeserved, as there were some factors he couldn't really control, like the nationalization of the race. But after his great performance in the primary and this, I'm quite optimistic about his chances.

My thoughts exactly. And it corresponds with the momentum that all major statewide Democratic candidates seem to be having.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies