TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:28:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 54834 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« on: March 01, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »

Interesting. He’s no Beto, but I don’t think Castro is a potential candidate to completely overlook.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »

Eh Idk about Castro tbh. I’d rather have Hegar.

Agreed.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »

Joaquin Castro to enter the Senate race soon, sources say.

I've always thought that a combo of Castro running for Senate (either, but Joaquin is the stronger candidate) & Beto also on the ballot- Texas really does become dead even.  Castro will naturally increase Latino turnout to some degree.  And Trump & Cornyn have much lower approval ratings than Cruz (which is shocking for most ppl outside of Texas). 

So if you start at Beto's 3% loss.  Add a bump in Latino turnout, factor in Trump & Cornyn being less popular than Cruz (& Abbott who was also on the ballot in 2018)- and add a small bump if Beto in the nom/ for being the home state candidate...

This could be the year Texas finally falls. The Texas quinnipiac poll from a couple of weeks ago had Beto:46 ... Trump:47 (and I would imagine Castro vs Cornyn is pretty much the same).

You forgot that 2020 will easily be 3-5 points more Republican than 2018, so even with tour parameters, that is a 3-5 Cornyn/Trump victory, but I feel you are being way too generous to Democrats, it seems like a competitve state, but i doubt it actually flips, I see it being like NC/FL for a while and then going the way of VA, but these changes won’t happen overnight

I think Lean R is appropriate for this race
Sure 2020 will likely not be as Democratic as 2018 for the country as a whole, but certain states like Texas, Arizona, and Georgia could still swing towards the Democrats because swing is obviously not uniform everywhere in the country. Maybe not enough to actually flip the states (especially Georgia and Texas), but enough to actually make Republicans sweat.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »

Until further notice, Hegar has my endorsement.  Smile
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »

The reason Beto lost was because he failed to increase Hispanic turnout to the same level as he did among other voters. That is why Castro was the best candidate.

Assuming Castro would've been able to replicate Beto's performance in every other demographic.

Yep, that’s a big if which is part of the reason I think Hegar is likely better than Castro.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »

The reason Beto lost was because he failed to increase Hispanic turnout to the same level as he did among other voters. That is why Castro was the best candidate.

Assuming Castro would've been able to replicate Beto's performance in every other demographic.

Yep, that’s a big if which is part of the reason I think Hegar is likely better than Castro.
WHy would Hegar replicate it?

I mean the main reason is that she already did well in TX-31 last year. It’s not guaranteed, but it won’t hurt to actually try.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »

Cornyn is undefeated in overall elections since 1984: Primary, Runoff & General elections.

And Nelson was undefeated from 1972 to... you know what happened.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »

Cornyn is undefeated in overall elections since 1984: Primary, Runoff & General elections.

And Nelson was undefeated from 1972 to... you know what happened.
Not true. Nelson lost the 1990 Democratic primary for governor.

Ah, my mistake. But even then my point remains that something can continue happening until it doesn’t happen anymore.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 03:27:32 AM »

To end over a month of silence on this thread:

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »

So neither Cornyn nor Hegar are raising huge amounts of money especially for a race and state like this.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to: