2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:32:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results  (Read 61452 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« on: September 22, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »

No one mentioning Carol Hughes?  Fully bilingual, was Deputy Speaker of the House.  Would do well in Quebec (has that Quebecker attitude even though she's from Kap, ON).

She's a pretty solid MP. Would likely tap into the same vein of support that Charlie Angus did, but my question is whether that's enough to win the leadership. It seems the NDP has moved away from its rural populist roots and is now a party of university-educated leftist urbanites. I wanted them to win a seat in Saskatoon and Regina partly to shift that balance back, but they fell short
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:15 PM »

Yes to all of the above; also general unionization would be high I think from public sector workers (Victoria the BC capital being on the island) General west coast progressive-old hippie, new young "woke" vibe. Environmentalists and a solid Indigenous community.

Yes this is all there as well, though has been as liable to help (once) Liberal and (now) Green candidates as Dippers. But it all adds up to a landscape in which, for once, the NDP often benefit as the comparatively middle of the road option between relative extremes, at least on the sort of issues that are particularly sensitive on the Island...

Outside of Victoria, is Vancouver Islands population still more working class than hippies/migrants from urban areas?

Indeed. E.G., based on census data, compared to BC as a whole North Island--Powell River has a higher percentage of people employed in forestry/agriculture, mining, and health care and social assistance. Also a higher unemployment rate and a lower median income. As another example, Courtenay--Alberni is similar although with a decently sized retail sector and less mining presence.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 09:07:48 AM »

re: P'boro -- I find it interesting that Bay of Quinte also flipped though. Could it be a regional thing?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies