Queen Elizabeth's successor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:12:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Queen Elizabeth's successor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Who will succeed her to the throne?
Prince Charles
Prince William
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth's successor  (Read 9713 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2022, 01:49:12 PM by President Johnson »

Somehow I feel like Charles is going to die before her. Definitely think she should hand over the crown to Charles.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »

I think she'll live to see her 70 year Jubilee in 2022, but probably not much longer.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »

I think she'll live to see her 70 year Jubilee in 2022, but probably not much longer.

The Queen Mother didn't have to start using a cane 'til 94 & she still made it to 101 on a daily diet of gin & cigarettes; HM, with a dedicated medical team on call, only just had to begin using a cane at 95, so she may yet beat her mom's longevity.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 02:02:31 PM »

The Queen Mother didn't have to start using a cane 'til 94 & she still made it to 101 on a daily diet of gin & cigarettes; HM, with a dedicated medical team on call, only just had to begin using a cane at 95, so she may yet beat her mom's longevity.

Perhaps, but I imagine Elizabeth is in a more stressful position than her mother was (Philip's death, Andrew's crimes, the ongoing saga with Harry and Meghan, the political comedy of errors). She certainly seems quite tired in the photos of the Jubilee. I wouldn't count on her making it to 100.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 02:06:06 PM »

Her health has visibly deteriorated rapidly since she lost her husband of seven decades last year.* She has lost a lot of weight, her colour isn't good and she can't manage public events longer than about an hour or so, even sitting down. It isn't entirely clear what the issue (or issues) are because The Palace is notoriously opaque about the health of senior Royals (last year they were insisting that Philip was fine, really, when it was extremely obvious that he was dying), but she's not a well old lady and people need to be realistic.

*This is a really common thing to happen, of course.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2022, 09:41:38 PM »

Her health has visibly deteriorated rapidly since she lost her husband of seven decades last year.* She has lost a lot of weight, her colour isn't good and she can't manage public events longer than about an hour or so, even sitting down. It isn't entirely clear what the issue (or issues) are because The Palace is notoriously opaque about the health of senior Royals (last year they were insisting that Philip was fine, really, when it was extremely obvious that he was dying), but she's not a well old lady and people need to be realistic.

Some of the most haunting pictures I've ever seen are those pap snaps of Phillip when he was going home from the hospital just about two or three weeks before his death. He looked as though he would be lucky to last two or three hours, let alone weeks.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2022, 11:29:25 PM »

You think this is (maybe) her last year among the living? 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2022, 03:56:58 AM »

Yeah, though she akready outlived the timespan HW Bush had left after his wife of over 73 years died.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2022, 08:04:37 AM »

I think she makes it to the 70th anniversary of her coronation (a year from now) but not a lot more.

A few years ago it looked very possible she might outlive her mum, not so much now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if she manages a few more years - but it's fairly clearly only going to be a few, at most. We're definitely being conditioned to getting used to seeing Charles front up public - and now even constitutional - events rather than her and, actually, to seeing William have the sort of public role that Charles used to. There was also an unmistakable valedictory air to the Jubilee celebrations - think of those final images of the entire line of direct succession on the balcony at the end. I'm a republican (albeit of the old-fashioned mild 'civic' variety) but that was rather poignant on a human level.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2022, 06:45:45 AM »

I was anti-Charles not just because his creepy, snobbish vibe but because of Camilla/Diana

To me a man simply having spontaneous sex with a random attractive woman he stumbles upon during a night out or at a party-  is one thing. While not being “right” it can be forgiven and even understood. But carrying on a full blown relationship with someone else - being emotionally unfaithful - devoting yourself to someone other than your significant other ….. is DRAMATICALLY worse.. In this the case of Charles/Diana it wasn’t just that - it was also the relentless torment Diana endured.

HOWEVER. Charles has grown on me. And his speech the other night at the Jubilee celebration was really heartfelt and to me was delivered perfectly. So despite Camilla I wouldn’t mind Charles.

With that said I think it’s a missed opportunity- William and Kate taking the throne while still being young, attractive, somewhat charismatic, immensely popular and more than anything else MODERN - is a chance for a rebirth or rejuvenization for the institution of the monarchy.

As for what WILL happen? I think Elizabeth lives longer than most expect her to - and Charles will be next, he’s been eager to be king - unlike Elizabeth who kind of fell into the role. So Charles will definetly not abdicate. How long he reigns is the question. At least 10 years would be my guess
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2022, 08:11:32 AM »

I'm a republican (albeit of the old-fashioned mild 'civic' variety)

what does that even mean in a modern context?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »

It means I think that 'Republic' are cringe.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2022, 08:38:01 AM »

Definitely Charles, and if only to give William a few extra years to take care of his family and not become king while is children are still minors.

That said, it's very possible Charles won't be monarch for much longer than a decade, if even that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2022, 08:46:52 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2022, 08:50:00 AM by NewYorkExpress »

It won't be Charles. He likes being outspoken on political issues and probably would prefer to keep being outspoken, rather than being constrained by being King.

It probably will be William, though I can see him abdicating just to screw with Harry. Giving him and Meghan that sort of spotlight (as regents for the kids, presumably) when they really don't want it seems like something they might pull after Harry and Meghan tried to leave.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2022, 09:17:31 AM »

no comprende
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2022, 12:43:26 PM »

It won't be Charles. He likes being outspoken on political issues and probably would prefer to keep being outspoken, rather than being constrained by being King.

It probably will be William, though I can see him abdicating just to screw with Harry. Giving him and Meghan that sort of spotlight (as regents for the kids, presumably) when they really don't want it seems like something they might pull after Harry and Meghan tried to leave.

… what in the

Please, just stop posting your thoughts on things.  Please.  I am literally begging you to stop.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »

no comprende

Republic is the name of an organization that has been campaigning for exactly what it sounds like.  Their messaging and methods are… well, Al said it best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_(political_organisation)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2022, 05:48:03 AM »

Elizabeth II today becomes officially the second longest reigning monarch ever. This is limited to "fully sovereign" countries, and those whose tenure can be precisely dated - still impressive.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2022, 12:51:57 PM »

Well, at the sight of the sad news ... do you think Prince Charles is going to abdicate the throne?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2022, 12:55:02 PM »

Of course not, though its still not confirmed what his regnal name will actually be.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2022, 12:55:11 PM »

I previously thought he may let William take the throne early, but I do not believe its likely at this time.

I'm going to throw in my prediction he will choose the name King Philip.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »

I think she makes it to the 70th anniversary of her coronation (a year from now) but not a lot more.

A few years ago it looked very possible she might outlive her mum, not so much now.

She didn't make it to the anniversary of her coronation, but she did at least make it past the 70th anniversary of her accession. So you were almost right.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »

The Prime Minister's statement appears to have revealed that he will be known as King Charles III.

(I wouldn't be shocked if she jumped the gun in assuming his name. But that statement had to be run by many many people.)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2022, 01:48:10 PM »

That's confirmed. William has become Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge. Cornwall was one of his father's titles that was deactivated when he became King.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies