Darwin or Lincoln? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:35:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Darwin or Lincoln? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Both men were born on this date in the same year (1809).  Which do you pick?
Charles Darwin

Abraham Lincoln

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Darwin or Lincoln?  (Read 4882 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »

Lincoln. Darwin's work was a lot more far-reaching, but it is also a lot more easily manipulated to support some truly evil causes. See Hitler's Germany.

That's a gross oversimplification. Nazi Germany would likely have still come about in a similar form even without evolutionary theory being available. Hitler also used religion to manipulate people, and it's not like using Jews as a scapegoat for social ills was a new phenomenon in Europe.

Also, you can't blame the manipulation of legitimate science to fit into some twisted ideology on the scientists when they aren't the ones manipulating it.

It's worth noting that Nazi racial theory was technically Lamarckist if anything. In terms of Hitler’s racial theory Darwinism or any concepts associated with it are not found in Mein Kampf. The core of his views of the difference between the Aryan and the Jews is essentially biblical. He was attracted to the idea of progeny, not in Darwinian terms but through the concept of ‘blood lines’ and associated blood libel.

“I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

Guidelines from ‘Die Bucherie’ in 1935 placed, ‘writings of a philosophical and social nature whose content deals with the false scientific enlightenment of primitive Darwinism and Monism’ in a list of banned books. As well as ‘all writings that ridicule, belittle or besmirch the Christian religion and its institution, faith in God, or other things that are holy to the healthy sentiments of the Volk.’
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies