Gun control supporters - Local gun control (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:58:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun control supporters - Local gun control (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are local(city/county) gun control measures good or bad?
Good

Bad

Not a gun control supporter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Gun control supporters - Local gun control  (Read 9378 times)
The 2nd Constitarian
deadeyeaim
Rookie

« on: October 26, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »

I am against all gun control.  The second ammendment not only was made to prevent the national government from passing gun control but the constitution also says that if a state passes a law that contradicts the constitution that law is void.

Sorry, but that's wrong.

The Second Amendment:  A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm tired of people misreading the Second Amendment.  The Amendment refers to allowing people to own guns to protect the nation since the first citizens of the new nation were to form a militia in the case of war.  Back when the Constitution was drafted, the standing Army of the US was very small and built of very few professional soldiers.  In order to meet the manpower demand to protect the nation, yet at the same time not bankrupt the poor young country, the nation needed militias. 

Additionally, the Amendment does not say that the government has no right to put limits on the types of weapons a citizen can possess.  It says the government cannot deny you the right to own a weapon, since, referencing above, the government needed armed citizens to protect the new nation. 

So, if the government says "ok, you can't own fully automatic weapons," your Second Amendment right is not being infringed upon, since you can still own all other non-banned weapons.

The sencond amendment was put there so that is our government becomes tyrnanical we have the right to bear arms, as that would be the necessity to the secruity of the free state.  People seem to think that a tyranical government is one with a single despot ruling, but elected legislators can trample your freedoms just as easily.
The 2nd Constitarian
deadeyeaim
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:24:35 PM »

That said, federal gun control laws are unconstitutional simply for the reason that the Constitution does not enumerate the power to make them. When arguing about federal assault weapons bans, we need not trouble ourselves with the meaning of the Second Amendment; the case that there is no enumerated power is, I think, a much easier one to make.

I think that is the cheap way out of the debate.  Just because the Constitution does not mention a particular power or ability for the government doesn't mean the government cannot take action without being Constitutional.  So, in this case, laws regarding gun possession is Constitutional, since the right to own guns still stands.  There is a difference between having the right to own a gun, and the right to own any type of gun you want.  Just because you cannot own gun type A, doesn't mean you cannot own gun types B-Z.  The right to own a gun still exists.

What your saying is that if the government says you can not say word A it is not infringing on your freedom of speech because they allow you to say word B-Z

I am in favor of strict construction, anyone who agrees with loose construction agrees with a government who can pick and choose how to best interpret the constitution to coincide with their political beliefs.
The 2nd Constitarian
deadeyeaim
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »

You are a ****ing idiot. I don't think you realize how dumb you are. Absolutely no one, without any exception whatsoever, on any court in the land has made the argument you are making.

Some do argue that the Commerce Clause authorizes gun control. You are simply too clueless to argue any constitutional matter on a legitimate basis, and so you instead claim that Congress is not bound by its enumerated powers: a joke position, contradicted by the plain text of the document.

You're a fool. Go get a brain.

All gun control laws are unconstitutional, if therr was a way to bring the founding father back to life they would agree with me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies