Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:31:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing  (Read 10774 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: January 23, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)

Might happen in South Carolina long-term as well.

That would surprise me as South Carolina lacks the very large city / tech hubs you need to trend D with a Trumpish GOP. It's still too rural, too many retirees, small-city conservative, Evangelical.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »

I was there and following the news when Jim Gilmore rode his signature promise to cut repeal the car tax all the way to the Governor's Mansion in 1997.  

He was only partially successful.  So in effect, he cut rather than repealed the car tax.  Quite substantially too even if he failed to honor his promise (though it wasn't for lack of trying).   

A notable moment for me was the 2001 election where everyone was excited that Mark Warner had won the governorship after a long drought for Dems, but he only won narrowly and meanwhile the Democrats got slaughtered in the HoDs as the Republican transition took root with new maps.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies