Employee Free Choice Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:41:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Employee Free Choice Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If you were a legislator, how would you vote on it?
Democrat: Aye

Democrat: Nay

Democrat: Abstain

Republican: Aye

Republican: Nay

Republican: Abstain

independent/third party: Aye

independent/third parrty: Nay

independent/third party: Abstain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Employee Free Choice Act  (Read 6750 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »

A majority of members being able to force unionization is no more unfair than a majority of Americans being able to force taxation.

In both cases the minority that doesn't want to pay still enjoys the benefits (the fact that unions exist at all helps all workers, even non-unionzed ones, as everyone's pay and benefits are higher because employers must keep them high in an effort to keep a union from forming).

So is this true in any case where there is a danger of free-riderism?

Let's take the example of an environmentalist lobbying organization that succeeds, from the donations of its members, in curbing pollution in a way that in no way costs the taxpayers any money.  Should I be morally or legally obligated to contribute to them?

I'm not sure if I accept that the social contract automatically applies to the workplace...

No, I don't support all workplaces being forced to unionize, of course. But allowing individual members to opt out would destroy the entire system, just as it would with taxation. If that's someone's goal, fine, but at least be honest about the motive. Smiley

So keeping the system intact is an important enough goal that people should be forced to pledge their allegiance (& a small percentage of their paycheck) to a labor union or else lose their job if a majority of their coworkers want to do the same?

I disagree with workers being forced into collectivism for the sake of allowing the labor unions to survive.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 02:19:27 AM »

I guess my complaint is a little more specific.  I'm fine with the majority of workers negotiating a contract with the business that requires all workers in the business to be due-paying union members, but that would be part of the negotiations and not something mandated from the state.

It seems more than a little backwards to say that because everyone benefits everyone should be legislatively forced to contribute -- like my example of an environmentalist lobby that succeeds in pressuring the government to improve the environment for everyone, using the dues of only its members, for no significant additional cost.  A union is not the government.

It's more than dishonest to say that the only reason to oppose this is the complete destruction of worker's ability to organize. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »

Democrat: Aye
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »

Strong Nay.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »

$14/hour's good money down there.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Nay (R), the process is fine as it is now, no reason to change it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »

I guess my complaint is a little more specific.  I'm fine with the majority of workers negotiating a contract with the business that requires all workers in the business to be due-paying union members, but that would be part of the negotiations and not something mandated from the state.

It seems more than a little backwards to say that because everyone benefits everyone should be legislatively forced to contribute -- like my example of an environmentalist lobby that succeeds in pressuring the government to improve the environment for everyone, using the dues of only its members, for no significant additional cost.  A union is not the government.

It's more than dishonest to say that the only reason to oppose this is the complete destruction of worker's ability to organize. 

Well no, not everyone should be forced to contribute; as I mentioned, I don't support mandatory unionization, even though all workers, even those in workplaces that don't have a union, get greater pay and benefits due to the existence of unions in other workplaces.

Ok, so I went a little over the line in my bad attempt at humor about the only motivation against it. Smiley
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:52 AM »

Aye (D) GA
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies