Is premarital sex immoral? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:44:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is premarital sex immoral? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pretty straight-forward
Yes (Left-leaning)

No (Left-leaning)

Yes (Right-leaning)

No (Right-leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: Is premarital sex immoral?  (Read 5863 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: February 07, 2019, 04:36:03 AM »

Lean no, but it's still best not to do it outside serious and lasting relationships. The more people you have it with, the more it is "cheapened" in terms of meaning. But it is difficult in this day and age, when people marry very late.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »

Lean no, but it's still best not to do it outside serious and lasting relationships. The more people you have it with, the more it is "cheapened" in terms of meaning. But it is difficult in this day and age, when people marry very late.

This. Huh, guess there are still things we agree on.
It makes sense, given that we're both not (or in your case not really, correct me if I'm wrong) Christian, but have grown increasingly communitarian and skeptical of certain aspects of the modern world, including individualism (and the interaction between capitalism and individualism).

You probably forgot to include "consensual" here...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:06:32 AM »

"It's between consenting adults" works well as a legal argument, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see at least some posters restraining themselves to using it as one, but as a moral argument it's too presuppositional of a generally libertarian and individualistic moral framework to convince anybody who doesn't share those presuppositions.
I'm far from a libertarian, whether from a political or from a moral standpoint, but when it comes to the issue of premarital sex I still have trouble finding it immoral for this reason.

Immoral is a strong word. For someone who is not a Christian (or Muslim, or Orthodox and Orthoprax Jew - but I think Jews would overall be less likely to emphasize the immoral aspect of it-), consent just seems the most logical basis on which you can judge the morality of it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies