Day 37-Oregon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Day 37-Oregon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 37-Oregon  (Read 7962 times)
bejkuy

« on: October 02, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

Great Analysis Alcon.

Even though I lived in Oregon the majority of my life, I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you had to say. 

Regarding the question of why curry county was more Rep than coos county I have these thoughts. 

Coos county has a very large Weyerhauser (timber company) presence.  Most Weyerhauser employees are union. 

The majority of timber industry workers in Lane and Coos county are union.  Roseburg forest products, the biggest employer in Douglas county is non-union.  Most of the mills in the republican counties are independant and non-union.

This trend holds in Washington as well.  The two counties with the highest percentage of Weyerhauser employees (not white collar) are Pacific and Gray's Harbor counties, both solidly Democrat and also the only counties to vote for Jimmy carter in 1980.  Cowlitz county has quite a few union forest products industry employees as well and votes accordingly. 

Lewis county, where I live has an active timber industry but most outfits are independant.  Lewis county was 64% rep in 2004.

Regarding Salem, Marion county (OR): I believe continues to be Republican because of it's higher than average (for oregon) church attendance.  By demographics, Salem should vote like Eugene.  (lots of government employees, universities).  I've lived in both towns and I don't know the exact figures, but I know that there are FAR more churches in Salem than Eugene (similar sized cities) and the the local culture is much more socially conservative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies