Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:51:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 343691 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2021, 09:45:04 PM »

Safe D (sane, normal)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #601 on: May 10, 2021, 10:03:46 PM »

Between tomorrow and Nov 2nd, Glenn Youngkin has the resources to blast the airwaves, digital ads, and mailers.. literally 24 hours a day.. which does scare me.

Duke of York

« Reply #602 on: May 10, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2021, 10:37:55 PM by Duke of York »

Between tomorrow and Nov 2nd, Glenn Youngkin has the resources to blast the airwaves, digital ads, and mailers.. literally 24 hours a day.. which does scare me.

it is concerning however outside groups and super pacs will raise tons of money too and air ads. Youngkin has all but embraced the big lie and Trumpism. That's not going to play well in the state.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #603 on: May 10, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »

So did Jaime Harrison…
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #604 on: May 10, 2021, 11:01:54 PM »

Yeah Im sure an ex DNC chair and former governor will have no resources.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #605 on: May 10, 2021, 11:48:13 PM »

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #606 on: May 11, 2021, 04:46:49 AM »

After last night I have two predictions.

1) Terry McAuliffe will be he next governor of VA. He won't win by much but he will win. Sticking with by 3 to 5%.

2) There will not be any pandemic restrictions nor any mask mandates whatsoever past June 15th.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #607 on: May 11, 2021, 06:25:32 AM »

And cool! 25 pages. Would be funny if we get to 100 pages.
JMT

« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »

What do folks think about the claim that Youngkin was the GOP establishment’s favored candidate? Did establishment groups prefer Youngkin over Snyder?

Even if they preferred Youngkin over Snyder, it seemed that Kirk Cox was the most “establishment” candidate, given his long legislative career and list of endorsements.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »

What do folks think about the claim that Youngkin was the GOP establishment’s favored candidate? Did establishment groups prefer Youngkin over Snyder?

Even if they preferred Youngkin over Snyder, it seemed that Kirk Cox was the most “establishment” candidate, given his long legislative career and list of endorsements.

If true that only shows just how Trumpy the Virginia GOP has become.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #610 on: May 11, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »

Different groups of elected GOP types supported different guys. Cox had the support from years of legislative experience in and around VA, Snyder had the backing of GOP party types, and Youngkin had the backing of evangelical politicians. There was no proverbial consolidation unless you mean in opposition to Chase.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #611 on: May 11, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »

I didn't realize that Amanda Chase's district only voted for Trump by 4 points. I'm surprised it would elect someone as crazy as her.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #612 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »

Also, if you guys want a good city to look out for on election night, It's Radford. While Radford is tiny, it's been within a point or just over a point of the statewide vote in the past three presidential elections with a slight tilt to the GOP compared with the statewide vote. A Republican can lose statewide while winning Radford, but a close Radford could mean a very competitive election.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #613 on: May 11, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »

For some reason, Youngkin doesn't have a Wikipedia page yet.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #614 on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »

This is extremely relevant to my interests. I'd forgotten about that companies involvement with the whole masters sale issue.

For some reason, Youngkin doesn't have a Wikipedia page yet.
They rejected a draft version of it 44 days ago, because it didn't show him as notable. An improved version of the article was re-submitted before the convention and is awaiting approval.

Random business people, even CEOs with a lot of power and influence, have a hard time getting Wikipedia article because you have to show how their worthy of an article. By contrast, every state legislator is inherently notable on Wikipedia, even if they're not very important in an objective sense.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #615 on: May 11, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »

Anyway, it looks like Winsome Sears will be the nominee for Lt. Gov. She's running a close second in the appropriate bases for Hugo and Davis, and then doing will across the southside an Richmond.

Sears is a peculiar candidate. She has prior government experience, but ran as an outsider vs Hugo and Davis's recent time in the HoD. She is closer to the democratic position on some issues, but then is ardent supporter of GOP 'election integrity' efforts. She is endorsed by Bob Good and E.W. Jackson, but also argued GOP voters should write in her name in the 2018 Senate race because Corey Steward was the GOP nominee.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #616 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »

When mostly unknown businesspeople get a nomination 4 gov instead of well established politicians, isn't that an obvious sign no serious officeholder wants him/herself get embarrassed in an inevitable loss?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #617 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »

The nomination of Youngkin could end up good for Democrats really. They have woken up since last night!

I could easily see Cox potentially having winning this November under sleepy Democrats.

This race should be fun but I worry about the potential of violence between Youngkin and McAufflie supporters this November.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #618 on: May 11, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »

Virginia was a state where the old establishment vs. Tea Party divide was really strong, and towards the mid-2010s the Tea Party largely "won" (in the sense of normally winning statewide nominating contests). The old establishment's choice was Cox. The old Tea Party/modern establishment's choice was Snyder. National Trumpy groups mostly avoided this race but those who got involved also backed Snyder. Chase tried to paint herself as the most right-wing candidate, but she didn't really have a lot of resources even though she got free media, and ended up going far enough to alienate most of the party.

Youngkin wasn't really affiliated with anyone (really, he's more of a Texas GOP establishment candidate), but he spent way more than everyone else and managed to come up the middle because the primary between Snyder and Chase got really nasty. At the very end the establishment backed him to avoid bad blood if either Snyder or Chase were nominated (by far his strongest source of preferences, ultimately, was Cox).

The primary strategy reminds me of Rick Snyder 2010, actually, or maybe Bill Haslam. Been a while since someone successfully bought a Republican gubernatorial nomination by outspending everyone massively and coming up the middle between two feuding very-right candidates.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #619 on: May 11, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »

The group I am in called REOPEN VIRGINIA are very sad and disappointed that Chase is not the nominee but they are all predicting like double digit wins for Youngkin and Miyares and 15 + seat gain in the HOD.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #620 on: May 11, 2021, 12:10:18 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2021, 08:50:36 PM by Virginiá »

My first Mason-Dixon poll prediction:

46% T-Mac (D)
44% Youngkin (R)
  1% Other
  9% Undecided
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #621 on: May 11, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »

The group I am in called REOPEN VIRGINIA are very sad and disappointed that Chase is not the nominee but they are all predicting like double digit wins for Youngkin and Miyares and 15 + seat gain in the HOD.

Again, the group you are in is a bunch of idiots.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #622 on: May 11, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »

First Mason-Dixon poll:

46% T-Mac (D)
44% Youngkin (R)
  1% Other
  9% Undecided

Link?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #623 on: May 11, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »

First Mason-Dixon poll:

46% T-Mac (D)
44% Youngkin (R)
  1% Other
  9% Undecided

Link?

Prediction.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2021, 12:39:04 PM »

My predictions:

This thread will end up with 100 pages.

And Terry Mcaufflie will win by 3%. Basically the destined result this entire time
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies