Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 07:48:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Parliament Election, 6th May 2021  (Read 43205 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: May 20, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »

Lib Dems hold Shetland on a 19 point swing to the SNP.

And then on the other side of the coin Rennie won East Fife with a large personal vote that consolidated the unionist behind him.

Wow, Methil is not a place you'd expect the lib dems to do well in.

As a North East Fife voter, I have to tell you that Methil is actually just over the constituency border in the Kirkcaldy constituency.

If Methil was in the seat, we'd be as safe SNP as Glasgow Kelvin.

It's the university voters in St Andrews, and the memory of Menzies Campbell in the more prosperous fishing villages of the East Neuk that generally keep the seat Lib Dem.

Willie Rennie has been a high-quality MSP over the last five years. He's turned up all over the place, and been good at replying to constituents. I even ran into him at a 50th birthday party of a local SNP activist (parent of a friend) - the man is just eager to engage with the community. (Whether that's political or genuine is immaterial if he's providing a decent public service0.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:52 PM »

And then on the other side of the coin Rennie won East Fife with a large personal vote that consolidated the unionist behind him.

As a North East Fife voter, I have to tell you that Methil is actually just over the constituency border in the Kirkcaldy constituency.

I wonder how Sutherland voted - if it is SNP that means all the communities in Letter to America voted SNP (Lochaber, Sutherland, Lewis, Skye, Bathgate, Linwood, Methil, Irvine). I'd guess it likely did.

Sutherland is part of a marginal SNP-Lib Dem swing district (LibDem MP, and SNP MSP) so it could have gone either way...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 07:51:55 PM »

I wonder how Sutherland voted - if it is SNP that means all the communities in Letter to America voted SNP (Lochaber, Sutherland, Lewis, Skye, Bathgate, Linwood, Methil, Irvine). I'd guess it likely did.

Sutherland is part of a marginal SNP-Lib Dem swing district (LibDem MP, and SNP MSP) so it could have gone either way...

Yeah, my reasoning was that I seem to recall the Sutherland portion of the seat voted for Jamie Stone both times (though I'd have to check) so it could've been close with the SNP this time.

That tracks. How did you get regional data for the seat results? Would be genuinely curious. Are you going off of recent council election results, or was there county data reported?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:08:38 PM »

Its worth reading Oryxslayer's post very carefully, and then thinking about Methil's football team...

Ah. The East Fife team.

Apologies, my football knowledge is about as poor as my attempts to play the game. Even though they’re technically our local team, I’ve never heard them mentioned. At school, anyone one had an interest in the game was either bought into one of the Old Firm teams, or the Premier League.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies