White students riot against racist NJ Sec. of State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:05:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  White students riot against racist NJ Sec. of State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: White students riot against racist NJ Sec. of State  (Read 6541 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2005, 01:10:01 AM »

Riddle me this Percy: why do Kenyans win every major marathon?

Their "culture?"

LOL

To an extent, yes. 

What's so special about a country, genetically, that was created less than 45 years ago?  Why don't the bordering countries also produce marathon winners, if it's purely a matter of genetics? 

Some of it has to do with the value and respect given to marathon runners in Kenya.  Some of it has to with that there isn't a particulary good highway system and cars are rarer in Kenya.  People have to walk or run to get anyplace.

Some of it has to do with climate; there is no snow at lower altitudes to bog people down.  It's a sunny relatively flat country that is ideal for running (unlike Norway, for example).

There are a lot of other factors than genetics; genetics might not even be a major.

lol it doesn't matter what that area is CALLED, it still produces all the top runners.

It has nothing to do with culture and anyone with half a brain knows it. Americans and Westerners in general have every advantage... training, diet, everything.

no highways LOL all the top runners should be from the Congo. They have no highways AND have to deal with murdering hoards roaming the land.

It does make a difference as to what it's called and to how it functions.  Clearly, if it was racial function, you would be seeing other Africans, from different regions, dominating the sport.  

One factor, which is cultural, is the local prestige runners are given.  The world record holders in several track events (100, 200, 400 M, as of October 1) are held by Americans, but I couldn't name them unless I looked them up.  If a culture puts greater value on running, it is likely to encourage runners.

Do you know the name an nationality of the women's record holder in marathons?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2005, 01:13:24 AM »

This is one of those things where you might just lack the basic fundamental knowledge to understand why you are so clearly wrong.

Since an incentive structure exists to win marathons, and since humans have a maximum level of physical performance, it stands to reason marathon winners will simply be the people whose natural abilities are the greatest.

Sure, they train, but so do all the other runners. The difference between them and the winners is genetic ability.

Literally, and I mean literally, every single exercise physiologist in the world would agree with me. Every single one. If you can find one that doesn't, I'll leave the board. If not, you admit to being wrong. Deal?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »

Based on the quote, it appears the statements were made with some relation to each other. They were not. I KNOW that, but that's not the way it appears. In other words, dishonesty on your part.

If you can't use a legitimate quote, then either don't do it, or admit you basically are misquoting me.
I think it's no different than comparing what the ACLU had to say about school vouchers and federal funding for abortion: taking two quotes that clearly contradict each other and comparing them.  But at your request I have edited my signature.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:44 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your point on the ACLU (I didn't quote them??), but thank you.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2005, 01:25:29 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your point on the ACLU (I didn't quote them??), but thank you.
I was referring to a thread I created today in this same forum (see "Do you hate the ACLU?").
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2005, 01:25:56 AM »

This is one of those things where you might just lack the basic fundamental knowledge to understand why you are so clearly wrong.

Since an incentive structure exists to win marathons, and since humans have a maximum level of physical performance, it stands to reason marathon winners will simply be the people whose natural abilities are the greatest.

Sure, they train, but so do all the other runners. The difference between them and the winners is genetic ability.

Literally, and I mean literally, every single exercise physiologist in the world would agree with me. Every single one. If you can find one that doesn't, I'll leave the board. If not, you admit to being wrong. Deal?

I believe we had this discussion and I posted some material.

You've claimed in you previous posts and in what you claiming here is different.  You have claimed previously that thios genetic trend is tied to being Kenyan or being of a particular race.  Do you deny that claim?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2005, 01:30:22 AM »

You don't HAVE to be Kenyan to run well.

But the genetic distribution in that region greatly benefits marathon runners.

Plenty of the people there are nothing special. But their BEST are at the high end of a skewed-left normal distribution of marathon-running ability.

Thus, they produce most of the world's top runners.

We previously discussed a specific element of physical performance in oxygen utilization, but understand why Kenyans win the marathons doesn't even require that specificity.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2005, 01:39:50 AM »

4.) If I, as heterosexual, am sexist, so is everyone else who is not a bisexual.

This ranks up there with the funniest thing ever said on this forum.

I must add that I find it funny how easy it is to throw the word, "racist" around here on this forum.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2005, 01:51:14 AM »

4.) If I, as heterosexual, am sexist, so is everyone else who is not a bisexual.

Oh?  I believe the fact that being a heterosexual means being labelled a sexist is quite ridiculous, so you'll have to excuse my statement.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2005, 01:52:01 AM »

You don't HAVE to be Kenyan to run well.

But the genetic distribution in that region greatly benefits marathon runners.

Plenty of the people there are nothing special. But their BEST are at the high end of a skewed-left normal distribution of marathon-running ability.

Thus, they produce most of the world's top runners.

We previously discussed a specific element of physical performance in oxygen utilization, but understand why Kenyans win the marathons doesn't even require that specificity.

So now your saying that this statement:

Riddle me this Percy: why do Kenyans win every major marathon?

Their "culture?"

LOL

has to do with a regional genetic distribution and not with race?  Does the reason that this genetic distribution have to do with geography.

Why don't you give the name and nationalities of the female marathon record holder (as of October 1, 2004)?  
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2005, 02:03:50 AM »

Right, the distribution is regional and subracial.. happens to correspond mostly with what is known as "Kenya."

There is genetic variation at the racial, ethnic, and individual level. I never said otherwise. Just because Germans and Italians are white doesn't mean they are identical-- it just means they are much, much, much more similar than Germans and Nigerians.

How should I know the top female runner? The best male athlete in VO2 terms of all-time was actually Scandinavian, but the FREQUENCY of elite runners is the issue; out of 6 billion non-Kenyans, obviously some are going to be on the extreme right of the distribution.

However, that still makes Kenyans 1,000,000+ times more likely to be elite runners, which is, needless to say, far beyond the highest level of statistical significance.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2005, 02:46:33 AM »

Right, the distribution is regional and subracial.. happens to correspond mostly with what is known as "Kenya."

There is genetic variation at the racial, ethnic, and individual level. I never said otherwise. Just because Germans and Italians are white doesn't mean they are identical-- it just means they are much, much, much more similar than Germans and Nigerians.

How should I know the top female runner? The best male athlete in VO2 terms of all-time was actually Scandinavian, but the FREQUENCY of elite runners is the issue; out of 6 billion non-Kenyans, obviously some are going to be on the extreme right of the distribution.

However, that still makes Kenyans 1,000,000+ times more likely to be elite runners, which is, needless to say, far beyond the highest level of statistical significance.

It's interesting, because the fastest women is Paula Radcliffe, of the UK (her family currently lives in Bedford).    Could make the English 1,000,000+ times more likely to be elite runners, which is, needless to say, far beyond the highest level of statistical significance?  I wouldn't say so.

Now, I say that the East African population, there is perhaps a slightly greater chance of producing a record marathon runner, but that area has about twice the population of the UK. 

Ironically, no Kenyan has ever won an Olympic Gold Medal for a marathon, though several Ethiopians have. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »

...how easy it is to throw the word "racist" around here on this forum.

I appreciate that statement.  Seems like there's been quite a bit of this sort of mocking and intolerance lately.  Maybe it's just the time of year, spring break and all, with lots of repressed liberals home from college with nothing better to do. 
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2005, 12:35:44 PM »

Oh?  I believe the fact that being a heterosexual means being labelled a sexist is quite ridiculous, so you'll have to excuse my statement.
It is amazing how hypocritical you are.  You want to give yourself the right to have a preference for certain humans (women), but you yell and scream at AuH2O if he wants the same courtesy from you: the right to have a preference for certain humans (whites?).

You're nothing but a wacko sexist by your own standards, if you call AuH2O a racist for doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »

It is amazing how hypocritical you are.  You want to give yourself the right to have a preference for certain humans (women), but you yell and scream at AuH2O if he wants the same courtesy from you: the right to have a preference for certain humans (whites?).

You're nothing but a wacko sexist by your own standards, if you call AuH2O a racist for doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
Dude, the argument was like... over.
Cashcow

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2005, 05:54:53 PM »

On an unrelated note, I'm probably the only one here who isn't afraid of Camden city. How intriguing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies