Avenatti (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:45:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Avenatti (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Avenatti  (Read 7200 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 11, 2018, 06:23:09 PM »

Michael Avenatti obviously shouldn't be president, but don't immediately write off his candidacy. The guy is going to be a total clown at the primary debates if he runs and will get a lot of attention disrupting them when everyone else is playing safe. Also, cable news loves giving Michael Avenatti multiple twenty minute interviews a day, and that's a lot of free media exposure.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:13:38 AM »

Michael Avenatti obviously shouldn't be president, but don't immediately write off his candidacy. The guy is going to be a total clown at the primary debates if he runs and will get a lot of attention disrupting them when everyone else is playing safe. Also, cable news loves giving Michael Avenatti multiple twenty minute interviews a day, and that's a lot of free media exposure.

One thing that I think many pundits aren't really appreciating is the fact that primary debate stage space is limited, and it's far from clear who is actually going to qualify for the debate stage, since the vast majority of prospective candidates are completely unknown to the average voter, and so will start out polling at 0 or 1%.  This is actually pretty different from the GOP race of 2016, where there were a bunch of candidates running who already had decent national name ID even if they hadn't run for prez before, including Cruz, Rubio, Christie, etc.  There just aren't too many 2020 Dems in that category.

So the problem that might come up for the Dems is that a few "clown car" type candidates could end up following Trump's example by getting a bunch of media attention for the "wrong reasons".  That is, they say a bunch of outrageous things, and it generates media coverage, which in itself could give them higher poll #s, since those will be the candidates who voters are hearing about.

I'm not suggesting that someone like Avenatti is going to come anywhere close to winning the nomination.  But could he end up driving enough media coverage to get something like 3% in the polls?  Sure.  And that could be enough to be one of the ~10 or so candidates on the main debate stage.  Which means that he could take spot that would otherwise have gone to one of the more serious (but less "exciting") candidates, like Bullock or Hickenlooper or Klobuchar or Murphy or whoever.

Pretty much this. His constant "I'm on television multiple hours a day sometimes because CNN and MSNBC will just do multiple 20 minute interviews with me on a single day" exposure will give him huge name recognition advantages over the various small state governors Atlas loves. No way Steve Bullock outperforms Avenatti in polls, which means Bullock will be relegated to the Kiddie Table debate while Avenatti's at the big show with Harris and Sanders and Gillibrand and Dwane The Rock Johnson and Biden.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

I really think people are neglecting the effect on other candidates of him being on the debate stage. He'll interrupt and bully other candidates. Avenatti can absolutely make the debates all about him.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »

Slum lawyers from California don't scare me. He talks about morals. Do you really think he's been doing all this work for Stormy Daniels without fringe benefits? If anyone does, I have two tickets to the Warren/Waters inaugural ball I'd like to sell you.

Wait, really? You think that Trump can attack Avenatti for...having sex with Stormy Daniels?

Did you think this through?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »

So...lots of people with egg on their face in the last few posts.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2018, 10:28:27 PM by The Mikado »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies