538.com map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:58:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  538.com map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538.com map  (Read 52587 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 11, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »

Thanks for doing this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »

538 doesn't give Michigan to McCain, at least I don't think so.

Their regression model (weight 0.69) does.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »

Good to know.  Have never really sorted out what exactly 538 claims to do Smiley.

So, what exactly do these regression maps mean?

Regression Q&A  Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2008, 11:00:46 PM by Alcon »

Good to know.  Have never really sorted out what exactly 538 claims to do Smiley.

So, what exactly do these regression maps mean?

Regression Q&A  Smiley

So, just to clear this up....given the polling data he gets (national & statewide), he fits this model of his to that data...and the 'regression map' gives the prediction of that regression model?  Pretty cool.

Yep, you got it.  It is pretty cool.

Just to clarify:  The regression map is actually just created (and not used on the site) from his listed regression model.  The regression data is weighted to 0.69, as you can see in the state data area on the 538 page.  Its composition of the total depends on the number of polls, their size, their age and the quality of the pollster.  In D.C., it's 100% of the prediction, because there are no reasonably recent polls.  In Ohio, his model bows heavily to poll data; the regression is weighted to 6% of the prediction.  So, the regression is only (an often-small) part of his projection model.

Poll data is also partially trend-adjusted (not sure at what weight) relative to national polls.  If anything, it's an overly conservative system -- it takes about a week, by my estimates, to fully appreciate a trend and consider it "real."

It's basically all the stuff we tried to account for in our heads, quantified, except it obviously doesn't check for whack internals.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »

The Snapshot includes the regression, but also includes the polling averages, which factor into the regression.  The regression is just another data point, not a prediction of any kind.  Just for clarity's sake Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »

Today's update brings Obama's win chance to 90.5%.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »

Nate assumes a poll is good until it's proven bad, not vice-versa.  I disagree, but whatever.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »

WHY THE HELL DID NATE SILVER WEIGHT THE LA TIMES POLL SO DAMN HIGH?!

I'm thinking of taking the site off of my bookmarks.  It's becoming freaking aggravating.

Nate's methodology has its screwy points, one of which is probably over-emphasizing polls with limited track records.  But he can't weigh based on how much he likes a poll.  That being said, I wish he included more past record stuff from Presidential elections so as to down-weigh that sort of thing.

But he can't just go, "LA Times, kerplunk," or anything.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:05 PM »

How would you suggest he adjusts for internals?  That's pretty damn complicated stuff -- although I agree using primary performance as the exclusive baseline is a bad idea.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

Image Link
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies