Moderate Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:11:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Moderate Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moderate Republicans  (Read 12015 times)
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

Any moderate Republicans on here? I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the present state of the Republican Party.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

By moderate Republican, I also mean those who can compromise, even if they are strongly right wing (thinking of Ike Eisenhower types here, also Ronald Reagan to a lesser extent). That's the major problem in my opinion.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »

I don't think of myself as too moderate, but if I were a US politician, the Tea Party would probably label me moderate. I have a couple moderate positions, and also am pro-compromise, which is becoming a big "no-no".

Kind of like me. There has to be compromise, especially with thing like tax and spending. I hold fairly conventional social conservative views, but I don't obsess about "gays", "immigrants" and abortions, which seems to have pretty much taken over Republican Party thinking.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Today, if you compromise, you lose to a guy named Mourdock and end up like this:

Poor Dick Lugar Sad
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

I think we've stretched the definition of "moderate" a bit too far in some cases, like Dick Lugar. Sure he's not that conservative, but he's also not a moderate.

He cooperated on a bill with Democrats in one instance. That makes him a RINO.

Quite pathetic they would chuck him out for that. I would agree that the Republican far-right e.g. Bachmann, Cain and Palin, have taken over the party and castigated anyone who is not 100% with them as a RINO. Although the Democrats did the same to Lieberman, despite him agreeing with the Party 70% of the time or so.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:00:16 AM »

I seem to read two quite different views of "moderate" on this thread. In one case it is a set of values that is somewhere between right and left so the positions can seem mushy to those inclined to a strict ideology. In another case it is a set of values that might be firmly to the right, but a recognition that policy is not the same as principles, and policy compromises can exist that maintain one's principles. I personally don't consider this second case "moderate" but rather an example of practical politics.

Well that's the point. People don't look or sound extreme if they can compromise. Ronald Reagan was never really viewed as an extremist by a majority of people because he did compromise, unlike Gingrich who did not in the 1990's. In the 90's, I doubt that Bob Dole was that much further to the "centre" than Gingrich, but he knew when to be pragmatic, which made him seem less extreme.

Extremists, by definition, use extraordinary methods to achieve their aims. This is what happened with the budget shutdown of 1995. Moderates on the other hand, like to try and compromise to achieve their aims. Examples at this present point are people like Harry Reid, and (on a good day) Mitch McConnell. I would class Romney as one of these as well.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

There are no moderate Republicans. There all out to repress the people in favour of greedy big business and outdated religious beliefs.

Wut?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies