Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:46:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 192828 times)
super6646
Canada

« on: August 30, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Intersting the Cons continue to hold a narrow lead in the PV (about 2%) while the Libs hold a slight edge in the seat count. If this happens, it would be the first time since 1979 (I believe) that the party that won the PV did not become the leading party in parliament.

Collapse in Ontario has absolutely been killing the Cons though. I can't see them gaining too many additional seats in the west at this point, so a breakthrough is going to have to occur at some point if a win is feasible. There are only two candidates over the last 40 years that have won when losing the PV vote in Ontario (Harper 06 and Mulroney in 88), and only one candidate has lost the seat count in that province and still won the election (Harper again in 2006). Odds are stacked against Scheer at this point in time.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »

Example A of how gun control does not stop mass killings.  

The empirical record says otherwise. I’m not a gun hater by any means, but less guns generally correlates with less crime.

Anyways what a shame these scum killed themselves. They should’ve rotted in prison for a long time
super6646
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 02:02:48 PM »

Just thinking ahead to the next election, I genuinely hate all the parties in their present standing. LPC and their godawful immigration platform, the CPC with crypto know-it-all-nothing pollievre… and then just the NDP which is the libs with an openly antagonistic platform against Alberta’s O&G.

Genuinely thinking the LPC is the best of 3 godawful options right now.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 04:55:01 PM »

LPC and their godawful immigration platform

The last few weeks Canadian posters here have been saying this all the time and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Considering Canada's macroeconomic position I think it's essential.

Rich large anglophone countries should be in a strong position in a services-based economy, but they all have to complete with the United States, where wages and purchasing power are much higher. It is not within the power of any government to change this, so they have to find ways to compensate. Britain has an attractive world city and cultural power; Ireland has European Union membership; Australia has a favorable location relative to Asia and apparent freedom from the vagaries of the business cycle.

Canada will always have the issue of brain drain because American wages are so much higher and life in America is basically the same. At work I sit next to a Canadian citizen and I work closely with someone else who will move from Canada to the United States as soon as his work authorization comes through. Canada's only comparative advantage is loose immigration policy: the United States will always get the best talent, but Canada can compensate by drawing from a wider pool.

If I were a Canadian voter I would not vote Liberal at the next election under any circumstances, but immigration policy is something this government has gotten right.

Halving our present immigration levels would still net Canada over 2x the per-capita migration the United States sees. We’d still be casting a “wider pool” while also allowing for a more manageable housing situation. It is frankly ridiculous that with 7% interest rates (offered by the banks) housing prices are still projected to increase. Canada has also been notorious for failing to take advantage of the skills immigrants have had to offer..

Sorry, I don’t buy it. Even the BOC has stated higher immigration than expected has played a role in the current housing situation (though they have been diplomatic in their language to date).
super6646
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 11:36:57 AM »

Libs losing pretty much every demographic lol. That 18-29 spread is stunning
super6646
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 07:08:21 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2023, 07:11:56 PM by super6646 »

Ottawa has to respond with more than just expelling a diplomat. If that's the only price for conducting an assassination, then other countries will be emboldened to do the same. Russia can send agents to assassinate pro-Ukraine activists, China can send agents to assassinate anti-CCP activists, the Mossad can assassinate pro-Palestine activists. And if Trump gets in next year, he can send agents to assassinate anti-Trump activists. So there must more greater retaliation.

Perhaps, perhaps, collecting a dossier of senior BJP members with houses in Canada bought with stolen money would be a good start, and then leaking it two weeks before the Indian election. I don't know.

It's a good thing that the upcoming public inquiry into foreign interference is tasked to examine all nation-states, and non-state actors. It's also very sus why the Conservatives were reluctant to expand the inquiry's mandate. Could it be??? 🤔

The harsh reality is there isn't much we can do unless the US is seriously willing to back Canada on this one and impose serious retaliatory measures against India. With the US' aim to try and contain China in Asia, I don't think they will risk hampering relations with India. Tough reality of international relations really, but there are no good guys here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies