Worst 20th century dictator? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:51:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Worst 20th century dictator? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Worst 20th century dictator?
Stalin

Hitler

Mussolini

Franco

Kim Jong Il

the guy from cambodia( sorry for my ignorance)

Saddam

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Worst 20th century dictator?  (Read 4864 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« on: May 30, 2005, 12:20:32 AM »

I'd rank those:

Hitler
Pol Pot
Stalin
Mao
Kim Jong-Il
Idi Amin
Saddam Hussein

As bad as Idi Amin was, you can't put him up that high above Stalin, Mao and Hitler, although he should've been included on the poll.
I may have mentioned this some time before, but:
Don't forget Masie Nguema of Equatorial Guinea or Fernando Romeo Lucas Garcia of Guatemala...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:41:12 AM »

I really know nothing about those guys other than that I will never try to pronounce their names.

I got the name of the first one slightly wrong...

Good old Wikipedia:

Francisco Macías Nguema.

Wikipedia has very little on Lucas and the History of Guatemala article is rather biased - Montt's regime was NOT the most violent in the Guatemalan civil war, for why else would the Mayan countryside VOTE for him in actual free elections?!

Suffice it to say that Romeo Lucas was the bastard mostly responsible for the genocide against the Mayans in Guatemala - despite revisionist attempts by left and right alike to put all the blame on Montt. Angry
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 02:15:13 AM »

hmmm, that first guy sounds pretty loopy, unfortunately that's not too uncommon in Africa.

And like I said earlier there should've been a mention of Enver Hoxha, who'd I put right after Mao. North Korea today is based on that guy more than anything else, plus he was basically Stalin-lite, he only doesn't have as much noteriety because he had a much smaller country, regardless he was able to transform it into a mini-1984 completely cut off from the rest of the world.

And there was also Ceausescu. OK he may not exactly rank up with the rest of them but I've always been "fond" of him because as far as all dictators' stories go, his has the most dramatic and happiest ending Smiley

Hoxha and Ceausescu are both fine choices. Kiki
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies