Republican Landslide 2012: What Causes It?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:54:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Republican Landslide 2012: What Causes It?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican Landslide 2012: What Causes It?  (Read 5419 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »

Let's pretend we live in republican dreamland and this is the map:

(Not correct Electoral Votes, just to lazy to change them)

What causes it? Who are the Republican candidates? Who are the Democratic candidates?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »

Nothing can cause that. CA will go R before WA.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »

Maybe if we lost a war or we discover that Obama has destroyed any hope of having a good economy ever again. That being said....very unlikely.
biggzcorey
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »

If Obama is running again, this won't happen.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »

how so? there are so many more votes to switch in CA than in WA.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »

how so? there are so many more votes to switch in CA than in WA.

Because CA has more flexible voters than WA. OR has more flexible voters than both. The reason GA wasn't going to go to Obama/Chambliss won is because the voters just aren't very flexible.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »

I'd love to have Califronia turn blue again Hamilton, but can we do it?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »

I'd love to have Califronia turn blue again Hamilton, but can we do it?

I think people like us are good candidates to win CA. If we can find good candidates that are loaded and likable, definitely.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »

Will CA turn blue within the next 50-75 years, more than likely.  It's just a matter of who runs and what their positions are.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »

I wouldn't say this map is impossible; however if Washington is on there, Delaware, Maine and California will all go republican too.   We are well on our way to a republican landslide in 2012.  Everything that has happened in the last 9 months is fodder in a general election campaign against Obama.  We do have to have the right candidate - maybe someone we don't know of yet.  We need to create a candidate with:

Palin's tenacity, youth, beauty and her ability to galvanize our base. (and speak for us)
Romney's intellect, minus the smarm and mormon.
Huckabees communication skills.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:59:54 AM »

I wouldn't say this map is impossible; however if Washington is on there, Delaware, Maine and California will all go republican too.   We are well on our way to a republican landslide in 2012.  Everything that has happened in the last 9 months is fodder in a general election campaign against Obama.  We do have to have the right candidate - maybe someone we don't know of yet.  We need to create a candidate with:

Palin's tenacity, youth, beauty and her ability to galvanize our base. (and speak for us)

Pawlenty? Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »

I don't think Pawlenty can be it, he's too bland.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:03:36 AM »

I don't find him bland. He makes a lot of sense when he speaks.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 01:05:03 AM »

Pawlenty? Tongue
If you are referring to him bringing back his magically powered mullet Tongue right back - Not even Obama can fight the mullet.  Seriously though, that equals an Obama win, Pawlenty is the single most boring politician I have ever seen on television - he's just boring normal.  Would lose in a landslide.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:23 AM »

Maybe I need to listen to him more then, he just sems like a boring candidate to me. Nothing really sticks out, like McCain has his military background, Giuliani had 9/11, Romney had his exciting aristocratic father and economic career. Palin has her kids. Pawlenty, well, what's he got?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »

Maybe I need to listen to him more then, he just sems like a boring candidate to me. Nothing really sticks out, like McCain has his military background, Giuliani had 9/11, Romney had his exciting aristocratic father and economic career. Palin has her kids. Pawlenty, well, what's he got?

He has a great record, he basically said fuck the MN legislature so he could get things done (not dawdling around letting Reid and Pelosi ruin your agenda, eh?), and he balanced the budget quite a bit.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19:50 AM »

Pawlenty didnt intervene and help Coleman either - and I think he took the full stimulus money amount.  Palin at least opposed it and her state legislature voted it in.  Anyone who didn't resist or took stimulus money should not be our candidate.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »

Pawlenty didnt intervene and help Coleman either - and I think he took the full stimulus money amount.  Palin at least opposed it and her state legislature voted it in.  Anyone who didn't resist or took stimulus money should not be our candidate.

Because at that point it was a lost cause- it's not worth it for Pawlenty to give up his entire political future for Norm Coleman (a guy who lost to Jesse Ventura, tied Al Franken, and beat Mondale).
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »

Because at that point it was a lost cause- it's not worth it for Pawlenty to give up his entire political future for Norm Coleman (a guy who lost to Jesse Ventura, tied Al Franken, and beat Mondale).
Early on it was not a lost cause - MN voters only soured on Coleman after it dragged out.  Pawlenty had the ability to break that race, with little consequence because he was retiring anyways and a presidential candidacy wouldn't be broken by a senate debacle.  Now we have one of the most disgusting people to ever exist in the senate - and sadly, Franken fits in with the gaggle of freaks (Pelosi, Reid, Waxman, Brown, Kerry, Boxer and Murray) Yes I know Pelosi and Waxman are in the house.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 01:28:36 AM »

Early on it was not a lost cause - MN voters only soured on Coleman after it dragged out.  Pawlenty had the ability to break that race, with little consequence because he was retiring anyways and a presidential candidacy wouldn't be broken by a senate debacle.  Now we have one of the most disgusting people to ever exist in the senate - and sadly, Franken fits in with the gaggle of freaks (Pelosi, Reid, Waxman, Brown, Kerry, Boxer and Murray) Yes I know Pelosi and Waxman are in the house.

Sherrod Brown, right? I HATE HIM.

Franken does the good deed of being one of the most visible Democrats, and at the same time, an idiot. So he helps Republicans in that respect.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 01:31:08 AM »

Sherrod Brown, right? I HATE HIM.

Franken does the good deed of being one of the most visible Democrats, and at the same time, an idiot. So he helps Republicans in that respect.
Yes, and I forgot to mention Barney Frank too in that group of people.  All *sses, and Frank enjoys being in the company of a lot of *sses.  Brown is a nasty man.  I can't believe how unbelievably vile he can be - he's not even friendly, at any time. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

I think you should nominate Palin. Her tenacity, youth, beauty and 'maverick'-ness will be a sure winner in 2012. You betcha!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

I think you should nominate Palin. Her tenacity, youth, beauty and 'maverick'-ness will be a sure winner in 2012. You betcha!

Says the guy with McGovern in his sig. Get outta here.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

Only if Barack Obama turns out to be another Jimmy Carter.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

We have rapid inflation as China backs away from buying debt, this hurts the baby boomers a lot, and they vote heavily for the Republican. The overly-idealistic youth have become cynical with Obama's failures on health care, immigration, and cap-and-trade and vote anti-establishment for the sake of voting anti-establishment.

Gingrich, the ideas man, is the nominee.

Of course, there's very little chance Obama would do that badly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies