Federal Government Working to Remove Sovereignty of States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal Government Working to Remove Sovereignty of States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Federal Government Working to Remove Sovereignty of States  (Read 3856 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »

And if one were to believe that, presumably they would want it banned everywhere.

Not if they believe in Constitutional, limited government.  There are a lot of conservatives who believe it is an issue that should be left to the states.

Because the sanctioning of murder by Constitutional, limited government is a good idea.

Conservatives who believe in state sovereignty usually recognize that there is serious contention over whether or not abortion really is murder.  They believe it is, but respect the rights of people in other states to make their own laws.  They recognize that the Constitutional purpose of the federal government is not to prevent murder.

Well, if these conservatives have no issue with the sanctioning of what they believe to be murder, then I for one have no respect for them.

They're not the ones sanctioning it. They're just letting the people of those states govern themselves. If you had your way, we would all live under a planetary dictatorship.

They are letting the people of those states condone murder?

But yes, if I had my way, murder would be illegal everywhere.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »

You authoritarian bastard.

Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »

And if one were to believe that, presumably they would want it banned everywhere.

Not if they believe in Constitutional, limited government.  There are a lot of conservatives who believe it is an issue that should be left to the states.

Because the sanctioning of murder by Constitutional, limited government is a good idea.

Conservatives who believe in state sovereignty usually recognize that there is serious contention over whether or not abortion really is murder.  They believe it is, but respect the rights of people in other states to make their own laws.  They recognize that the Constitutional purpose of the federal government is not to prevent murder.

Well, if these conservatives have no issue with the sanctioning of what they believe to be murder, then I for one have no respect for them.

They're not the ones sanctioning it. They're just letting the people of those states govern themselves. If you had your way, we would all live under a planetary dictatorship.

Generally one can either accept that it is okay to legislate morality for others, in which case action an authoritative national or global government is ideal, or one can reject that it is okay to legislate morality for others, in which case anarchy is ideal. Federalism is very much a compromise position for people who reject legislating morality for others, but who also reject anarchism. You also have fair-weather federalists who make up the bulk of the U.S. Republican Party, but they are not particularly relevant to my point.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

Problem is, there's a bit of contention over whether or not abortion is murder.  Some people believe it's about a woman's right to choose, and if people who believe this constitute a majority of the population in a state, they should be able to make their own laws on the matter.

Lief's argument for centralization of power sounds to me like the perfect argument for internationalism and meddling in foreign affairs.  He said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why stop there?  Maybe we should go around the world toppling regimes to ensure human rights.  Maybe we should stop other countries, democratic countries even, from doing things that we don't like because we feel it violates human rights.  Localism or the beliefs of the people be damned.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »

State's rights? Why stop there?! We should let each city do whatever it wants to its people, civil rights and the well-being of the citizens be damned! But hey, why should people in the north part of the city get to force their opinions on people in the south part of the city? Surely what we need is neighborhood governments. Let each neighborhood define what murder is! But you know what, maybe I have a different idea of what rights mean than my neighbor does. Each person needs to be their own government, so that no one's opinions are forced on anybody!

See, I can do stupid slippery slopes too.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »

State's rights? Why stop there?! We should let each city do whatever it wants to its people, civil rights and the well-being of the citizens be damned! But hey, why should people in the north part of the city get to force their opinions on people in the south part of the city? Surely what we need is neighborhood governments. Let each neighborhood define what murder is! But you know what, maybe I have a different idea of what rights mean than my neighbor does. Each person needs to be their own government, so that no one's opinions are forced on anybody!

That's exactly my argument in favor of decentralization. What's wrong with letting people live their lives without social engineering?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »

You and Franzl fail at arguing against decentralization.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

American states haven't been sovereign in even so much as a semi-meaningful way for a long time now.

True, thanks to the "greatest" President ever.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »

Problem is, there's a bit of contention over whether or not abortion is murder.  Some people believe it's about a woman's right to choose, and if people who believe this constitute a majority of the population in a state, they should be able to make their own laws on the matter.

If I were to believe that abortion is murder, I would not tolerate the allowing of murder anywhere. Is this so hard to understand?
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »

Centralization, to some extent, is a necessity of the modern world. That said there is a balance to be achieved and centralization isn't always better and vice-versa. Its really a case by case thing and the extremes of both arguments (think Anarchism and Stalinism respectively) are clearly negatives.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies