Prediction thread: List of swing voters on economic stimulus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:13:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Prediction thread: List of swing voters on economic stimulus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prediction thread: List of swing voters on economic stimulus  (Read 2807 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

Collins was one of the key voices in the compromise team, she wanted 90 billion eliminated and Rahm did it, I can't see her and Snowe not voting for it.

As of now, Ronnie, your list doesn't have the bill passing since Franken isn't there and Kennedy probably won't be
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »

Eh, I'm not so sure that it will pass, but we'll see.  They should vote very soon.

“We have a deal” said one official, and Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Arlen Specter (R-Penn.), who were central to the negotiations, were expected to speak on the floor Friday night.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18508.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »

Don't Dems just need 59 votes to pass this?

No, the 2/3rds thing rounds upwards, they need 60 for the cloture
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »

Lunar, I need more convincing that Snowe will vote for it as well.  She was not directly involved with the negotiations, and seemed reluctant to vote for it the last time I saw her speak on the floor on CSPAN.

I have a feeling that Snowe will change her vote from Nay to Yay throughout the voting...just a gut feeling.

Maybe, I can't see her voting to the right of Collins and it's not like McConnell can give her some plum committee spot for being loyal.  I don't know her psychology or anything though, you could be right.

Somebody's gotta change their vote from no to yay if there is in fact a deal (as there seems to be). 

It wouldn't surprise me to see this passing with something like 64 or more votes once it's apparent it's going to pass
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

Perhaps I'm exaggerating with that high of a number, especially because I'm not sure if Ted will be there, but I think the votes are there

Too bad Obama couldn't arm-wrestle Gregg to vote on it
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »

I hear that it's Collins and Specter.  Kinda surprised about Specter - this is the type of thing that is likely to inspire Republicans to challenge him.

Just them?  Mm, guess it will scrape by after all, my bad.

It shows that Specter is more worried about the general than the primary - and the stimulus is likely relatively popular in Pennsylvania?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »

"Relatively" was the key word there Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »

Don't Dems just need 59 votes to pass this?

No, the 2/3rds thing rounds upwards, they need 60 for the cloture

It's 3/5ths.  And 3/5ths of 98 is 58.8, which rounds up to 59.  They only need 60 votes if there are 99 or 100 senators there.

Oops, yeah, brain fart.

Aren't there 99 senators?  TKen is voting
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »

Oh right, so the magic number is actually 59, great point.  This makes it all the easier for the Democrats.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

Oh God, I can't believe this is actually going to pass.

The economy is going to the freakin dogs and the Democrats hardly even care.

You can't believe the Democrats can't get a single Republican vote (all they needed to get to 59) to pass the type of bill that Democratic-leaning economists say we need?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »

Oh God, I can't believe this is actually going to pass.

The economy is going to the freakin dogs and the Democrats hardly even care.
More tax cuts!?

OH RLY?

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/stimulus-package/dems-house-gops-stimulus-plan-would-actually-raise-taxes-for-many-americans/

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

How the hell are we going to pay for this crap?

The way that we pay for everything. The economic arguments have been hashed and rehashed here on the forum and I'm sure you can find some people a lot smarter than you or I defending deficit spending as a way to deal with recession.  In order to do this effectively, of course, you have to plan to pay down that deficit after the recession is over.  I have little confidence in our government to do that.

The #1 thing disappointing for me is the lack of funding of public transportation, which, to me, is the most obvious short-term-intense-payment, long-term-productivity-boost item on the list.  Of course, Collins fought to remove what little of it that there was.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies