HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:59:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed)  (Read 4436 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: November 24, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »

I don't know if the regions should have some space to make laws on curfews. Do regions already have laws on curfews. I guess 1b. repeals even regional laws on the topic. Could we get section 1 to apply to the federal level only?

I was a bit confused with section 1c. but with MB's explanation I think I forgot the definition in 1a. It's outside of a state of emergency. I propose to add the specification in 1c. I also propose to change the spelling of section 1 title, unless there is more than one way to write curfew. This is an amendment:

Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress assembled,
Section 1. Cur-phewCurfew
a. "Curfew laws" are defined as all laws prohibiting people of any age group, or in general, from being in public areas during a certain time (usually at night), outside of a state of emergency as declared by either the President or local authorities.
b. All existing curfew laws in Atlasia are hereby repealed.
c. No jurisdiction may implement curfew laws outside of a state of emergency in the future.
d. All persons cited for violating curfew laws shall have their records expunged.

Section 2. Saving Face
a. A "facial recognition camera" is any camera which includes a feature to recognize a person's face.
b. All facial recognition cameras, with the following exceptions, are hereby banned in the Republic of Atlasia.
  i. Smartphones, tablets, and other personal, mobile devices not permanently mounted to a surface shall be exempt from this law.
c. Owners of such devices shall have until July 1, 2021 to dispose of them.
d. Manufacturers of such devices shall immediately cease production of all such devices.
e. Any person or entity found in violation of parts 2c and 2d may be fined an amount not to exceed $5,000, and shall have such device confiscated.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 09:39:11 PM »

Aye on the amendment
(leaving aside the constituionality issue raised) If we expunge records for curfew might as well do it for lockdown.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »

aye
Not overjoyed to cross an entire section after clarifying it. There is a constitutional issue and there don't seem to be appetite to just make section 1 about federal cases.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 09:51:20 PM »

aye
I decided to vote aye but I don't like the penalty for police. Police should follow the law without having a penalty for not doing it.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »

I don't know how the face recognition works. The bill removes the camera. I'm wondering if the face recognition is a unit with the camera. Could we ban the software, application from selling to the public but leave the physical cameras to people who have bought them, or it's not possible to separate the two.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »

Nay
I don't agree with 100%, I'm not even sure of the need for 50%.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »

aye
I'm uneasy with giving financial penalty to police. It should follow the law not because there is a potential penalty.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:36 PM »

The federal agencies could use facial recognition for security. Could be for spotting terrorists at airports. That is different from a camera in a store.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 10:04:39 PM »

The threat of a penalty if police doesn't follow the law was removed earlier. Police should comply because it's the law, the use of a threat could be seen as the House viewing all police as rogue.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »

We don't put in all bills a financial threat to force police to do something.
If a police department somewhere doesn't comply you can take legal action.
Cutting half of funding would penalize the community.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:41 PM »

nay
The sentence was removed earlier so it is "unnecessary stalling" and there are pages of debate already.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 09:16:57 PM »

nay
The sentence was removed earlier so it is "unnecessary stalling" and there are pages of debate already.
It’s our goal to bring the sentence back and then pass the bill. It’s not stalling because I’m literally sponsoring it, that doesn’t make any sense.
It was a reference to another bill. I don't know what is stalling exactly, maybe when there are a few pages of debate you can't propose amendments anymore.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 10:05:45 PM »

Nay
because of the major funding threat that was added in the end after it was removed earlier.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies