HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:40:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: HB 27-04: Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act (Passed)  (Read 4416 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:10:35 AM »
« edited: January 23, 2021, 01:37:34 AM by Representative Joseph Cao »

Sticking a Middle Finger to Big Brother Act

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress assembled,
Section 1. Cur-phew
a. "Curfew laws" are defined as all laws prohibiting people of any age group, or in general, from being in public areas during a certain time (usually at night), outside of a state of emergency as declared by either the President or local authorities.
b. All existing curfew laws in Atlasia are hereby repealed.
c. No jurisdiction may implement curfew laws in the future.
d. All persons cited for violating curfew laws shall have their records expunged.

Section 2. Saving Face
a. A "facial recognition camera" is any camera which includes a feature to recognize a person's face.
b. All facial recognition cameras, with the following exceptions, are hereby banned in the Republic of Atlasia.
  i. Smartphones, tablets, and other personal, mobile devices not permanently mounted to a surface shall be exempt from this law.
c. Owners of such devices shall have until July 1, 2021 to dispose of them.
d. Manufacturers of such devices shall immediately cease production of all such devices.
e. Any person or entity found in violation of parts 2c and 2d may be fined an amount not to exceed $5,000, and shall have such device confiscated.

Sponsor: FalterinArc
House Designation: HB 27-04

72 hours to debate.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2020, 12:52:16 AM by Rep Jessica »

Mr.Speaker

I reject to curtailing the governments power to issue curfews as that would allow our cities to be burnt to the ground by certain treasonous groups be they right or left wing. Lets say my  labor friends there's a huge right wing milita violently protesting near or inside our universitys or massing around our congress and white house. Would you mr.president want to have the ability to force them to go back into their homes to cool down? See my friends this works both ways and this is simply a bad idea. This summer our cities were on fire and curfews helped calm things down and helped regain stability within our cities. I hate to see what would happen if our government didn't have this power.

Not only that but such powers are good if a real virus comes around that demands such severe action. Now I don't believe covid is that virus but this would be a major blow to any government in the future.

Lastly, I oppose to the idea of limiting anyone's ability to buy consumer products and such a.i.

This bill seems to be insane too me.

I yield
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:06:48 AM »

Looks to me that there are exceptions to curfew laws in the event of an emergency as declared by federal or local authorities, so the concerns of the gentlewoman from Mississippi seem moot.

Regarding facial recognition cameras, I see the need for privacy but my views are more nuanced - I'll wait for other Reps to comment before coming to a final decision here.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:42:17 AM »

I wrote this bill. So basically it targets 2 things. First off are curfew laws. So usually these were put into place during the tough-on-crime era of the 90s targeting teenagers from going outside after a certain time. While it's been abolished in at least one region these laws still are in place. Not only are they a massive violation on freedom of speech and movement but they are also a drain on police departments who waste many time prosecuting teenagers who go outside at night instead of, you know, actually solving crimes.

Also the state of emergency point ends all of Jessica's concerns.

Second - and most importantly - facial recognition is a major problem. Cameras which detect faces are being installed throughout this country at a seemingly unstoppable pace. This is perhaps the greatest gift to Big Brother that we've ever seen. If you go to any sort of major city or store there's a strong chance your face is being entered into a database. It's such a huge infringement on people's privacy and it's crucial we stop it before it's too late.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »

Section 1.C seems to contradict section 1.A, "No jurisdiction may implement curfew laws in the future."
You are setting yourself up for a future court fight here.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »

Section 1.C seems to contradict section 1.A, "No jurisdiction may implement curfew laws in the future."
You are setting yourself up for a future court fight here.
It seems to me that the way the bill defines "curfew laws" that scenarios like a state of emergency are excluded, so I'm guessing 1C doesn't affect those statutes.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 12:57:32 AM »

Curfew laws are a regional issue, not a federal one.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 01:09:29 AM »

I urge passage of this bill.

I also urge against these broad characterizations of certain issues as "regional issues".
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 01:16:53 AM »

your entire party platform is just "leave it to the regions"
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »

your entire party platform is just "leave it to the regions"
my party doesn't currently have a platform in this game.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »

I don't know if the regions should have some space to make laws on curfews. Do regions already have laws on curfews. I guess 1b. repeals even regional laws on the topic. Could we get section 1 to apply to the federal level only?

I was a bit confused with section 1c. but with MB's explanation I think I forgot the definition in 1a. It's outside of a state of emergency. I propose to add the specification in 1c. I also propose to change the spelling of section 1 title, unless there is more than one way to write curfew. This is an amendment:

Section 1. Cur-phewCurfew
a. "Curfew laws" are defined as all laws prohibiting people of any age group, or in general, from being in public areas during a certain time (usually at night), outside of a state of emergency as declared by either the President or local authorities.
b. All existing curfew laws in Atlasia are hereby repealed.
c. No jurisdiction may implement curfew laws outside of a state of emergency in the future.
d. All persons cited for violating curfew laws shall have their records expunged.

Section 2. Saving Face
a. A "facial recognition camera" is any camera which includes a feature to recognize a person's face.
b. All facial recognition cameras, with the following exceptions, are hereby banned in the Republic of Atlasia.
  i. Smartphones, tablets, and other personal, mobile devices not permanently mounted to a surface shall be exempt from this law.
d. Manufacturers of such devices shall immediately cease production of all such devices.
e. Any person or entity found in violation of parts 2c and 2d may be fined an amount not to exceed $5,000, and shall have such device confiscated.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »

Yeah I think that amendment is good to clarify 1a. Personally, I think curfew laws as defined in 1a can clearly be defined to exclude states of emergencies (quote: ""Curfew laws" are defined as all laws prohibiting people of any age group, or in general, from being in public areas during a certain time (usually at night), outside of a state of emergency as declared by either the President or local authorities.), but a little extra clarification never hurt anyone.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »

I agree. Adding extra definitions to this bill certainly improves the quality. Amendment is friendly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »

a little extra clarification never hurt anyone.

Indeed. 24 hours to object to the adoption of Poirot's amendment.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2020, 05:23:44 PM by Rep Jessica »

SO this would end the lockdowns and covid dictatorship stuff? IF so I may vote for it.

So fight for an amendment doing that if not.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 12:27:42 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 12:30:46 AM »

SO this would end the lockdowns and covid dictatorship stuff? IF so I may vote for it.
I assume you mean lockdown by "covid dictatorship stuff". If that is what you mean, no this bill as it is currently written will not end any lockdowns. It would only end curfews.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 12:46:19 AM »

I assume you mean lockdown by "covid dictatorship stuff". If that is what you mean, no this bill as it is currently written will not end any lockdowns. It would only end curfews.
Concur with this. Also, I will vigorously oppose any amendments that would do that.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 02:04:40 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 02:20:01 AM by Rep Jessica »

Amendments

Section 1. Curfew
b. All existing curfew and lockdown laws in Atlasia are hereby repealed.
c. No jurisdiction may implement curfew or lockdown laws outside of a state of emergency in the future.
d. All persons cited for violating curfew or lockdown laws shall have their records expunged.
e. All state of emergencies shall be declared by the federal or state legislators and signed off by the president or governor.

Section 2. Saving Face
e. Any person or entity found in violation of parts 2c and 2d may be fined an amount not to exceed $51,000, and shall have such device confiscated.
Section 3: All presidential and governor executive orders shall be limited when it comes to items enforced on the population.
i. Limits executive orders on the general population having to do with items or body coverings such as facemask or other strange orders.
ia. This congress removes all power wielded by executive agencies to enforce such mandates(example; cdc or state health agency).
ii. limits presidential or state or regional governors executive powers to order lock downs on stores and businesses.
iia. Except with an order by federal or state legislative majorities.  

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 02:13:03 AM »

Objection.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »

I object as well. Amendment is unfriendly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »

I'm not fully sure if we instituted any lockdowns back in February/March on the federal or regional level (that was before my time), but even if we did, I'm sure the few people who violated those laws have by now worked their way through the justice system. If they served any fines or community service or whatever, does this amendment intend to repeal those retroactively?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

I'm not fully sure if we instituted any lockdowns back in February/March on the federal or regional level (that was before my time), but even if we did, I'm sure the few people who violated those laws have by now worked their way through the justice system. If they served any fines or community service or whatever, does this amendment intend to repeal those retroactively?

Yes, no one shall have anything on their record for being free. Smiley Freedom to walk, freedom to go to the store and freedom to eat turkey with family!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 12:03:55 AM »

Since there have been objections to the amendment – a vote is open on the question of its adoption.

72 hours to vote. Representatives, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 12:09:44 AM »

Aye,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies