Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:37:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread  (Read 16207 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »

I think, aside from Trump, there are always reports of candidates adding opposing party members to their cabinets. Didn't Obama also look at Republicans for his cabinet?

My point is, it rarely happens.

Obama had two in his initial cabinet, Robert Gates and Ray LaHood, and then added two others later: Chuck Hagel as Gates' replacement at defense and Robert MacDonald at Veteran's Affairs.

I recall there being whispers after the 2012 election that he considered Romney for the Commerce Department

Was there ever a losing presidential nominee who served under the president who defeated him? Franklin Roosevelt appointed Frank Knox, the 1936 vice presidential nominee, Secretary of the Navy during World War II. Wendell Willkie after the 1940 election also took informal roles as "Ambassador at large", but these are the only ones I can think of.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »

Atlas Dems be like "Progress is a bus, not a train! He's not perfect of course, but he's so better than Trump!"

N O T H I N G

(F U N D A M E N T A L L Y)

W I L L

C H A N G E
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2020, 02:18:27 PM »

The only one I really want to see is Sununu.  For much the same reason that Obama shipped Jon Huntsman Jr. off to China -- get rid of a potential political challenge down the road.  A Sununu Senate run could be very dangerous to a Democratic majority in 2022.  But Sununu doesn't seem like a guy who has a burning desire to overturn a Democratic Senate.  He probably just views that as the logical next step in his career -- and a high profile ambassadorship or cabinet post could be just as appealing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »

Atlas Dems be like "Progress is a bus, not a train! He's not perfect of course, but he's so better than Trump!"

N O T H I N G

W I L L

C H A N G E

I suppose there's no point in telling you this, but just to continue countering misinformation, that's not a real Biden quote.  People continue to use it out-of-context and assign it the opposite meaning of what he actually said.

Heaven forbid we have a Democratic administration with one or two moderate Republicans in the cabinet.  That's just as bad as a Trump administration with the Cabinet 100% far-right-wingers, mostly unqualified and/or corrupt!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »

Disgusting.

He better just be vetting them rather than actually picking them.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »

Heaven forbid we have a Democratic administration with one or two moderate Republicans in the cabinet.

The last one destroyed my parents' wallets, damaged my local economy, worsened foreign relations, strengthened corporate power, and opened the door for Trump nationalism, so yeah, I'm a little hesitant to it.

I'm not going to apologize for making basic observations about the Obama administration.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »

McRaven, who has now formally endorsed Biden, could well be a top choice for SecDef.

Eh, he'd still need a waiver like Mattis, & I really don't wanna make a habit of appointing recently-retired flag officers. Feels like being led down a bad path.

I think that's an overblown fear. Realistically, considering what the Defense Department actually does, recently retired flag officers are probably the most qualified for the job in most cases.
Brandern
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »

Good move. Some sane Republicans would be an addition to the cabinet. Especially John Kasich, Charlie Dent and Charlie Baker would be excellent. I'd love to have Arnold involved, but doubt he's interested in any official role.

Jeff Flake is still a very conservative guy, but I would offer him an ambassadorship abroad of his choice. I think he's a good person and was treated very unfairly by Trump.

KASICH IS NOT A GOOD GUY...
Brandern
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »

At this moment- America needs a great uniter-

We need LINCOLN! Chaffee...

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2020, 04:17:08 PM »

N O T H I N G

W I L L

C H A N G E

I suppose there's no point in telling you this, but just to continue countering misinformation, that's not a real Biden quote.  People continue to use it out-of-context and assign it the opposite meaning of what he actually said.

Heaven forbid we have a Democratic administration with one or two moderate Republicans in the cabinet.  That's just as bad as a Trump administration with the Cabinet 100% far-right-wingers, mostly unqualified and/or corrupt!

The Republican Party has proven to be fine with voter suppression, killing the environment, and giving the upper class whatever they like while stomping on the faces of of everyone else. Pardon us if we're not to impressed.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2020, 04:19:06 PM »

Ignore Politico. Anyway Biden nominating say, Baker, Sununu, or Scott would be smart since it gets them out of their governorships and makes a Dem pretty likely to be the next governor. Jeff f***king Flake is just speculation and never would happen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »

McRaven, who has now formally endorsed Biden, could well be a top choice for SecDef.

Eh, he'd still need a waiver like Mattis, & I really don't wanna make a habit of appointing recently-retired flag officers. Feels like being led down a bad path.

I think that's an overblown fear. Realistically, considering what the Defense Department actually does, recently retired flag officers are probably the most qualified for the job in most cases.

But the core function of the DoD is civilian control of the military, & one of the (obvious) ways this is (usually) ensured is by having somebody who's not connected to the military & its leadership - in having recently been a part of it - serve in a role suited for civilian oversight. The law exists to protect the country from a military interested in taking control, & I don't want our side helping to potentially enable the possibility of that happening even a little bit.
ExSky

« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2020, 04:54:02 PM »

But the core function of the DoD is civilian control of the military, & one of the (obvious) ways this is (usually) ensured is by having somebody who's not connected to the military & its leadership - in having recently been a part of it - serve in a role suited for civilian oversight. The law exists to protect the country from a military interested in taking control, & I don't want our side helping to potentially enable the possibility of that happening even a little bit.

Being a part of the military doesn’t not mean you are automatically an interventionist hell bent on utilizing the military outside of its true purpose. By all means McRaven seems like an intelligent man who would by pragmatic as defense Secretary. the fear of flag officers being named SecDef has always been puzzling to me and the reasoning you gave has always felt overly idealistic to me. People like Mattis and McRaven are the absolute best types of candidates to serve in that sort of position.

And at the end of the day, the Military and the defense Secretary will answer to the President.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »

I heard rumors he was considering Romney for Secretary of State. Those rumors died after the death of RBG with Romney saying he would vote on ACB.
ExSky

« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »

Haven’t you been desperately clinging to dubious polling regarding establishment Republicans?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2020, 05:03:42 PM »

Being a part of the military doesn’t not mean you are automatically an interventionist hell bent on utilizing the military outside of its true purpose. By all means McRaven seems like an intelligent man who would by pragmatic as defense Secretary. the fear of flag officers being named SecDef has always been puzzling to me and the reasoning you gave has always felt overly idealistic to me. People like Mattis and McRaven are the absolute best types of candidates to serve in that sort of position.

And at the end of the day, the Military and the defense Secretary will answer to the President.

It's not about fearing people like Mattis & McRaven. Yes, they'd individually be (& - in Mattis' case - generally was) good Defense Secretaries. But it's not about them. It's about not normalizing their precedents so that nobody gives a damn if people like Mike Flynn or Keith Kellogg were to be appointed. It's in those type of people that danger lies.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

Ignore Politico. Anyway Biden nominating say, Baker, Sununu, or Scott would be smart since it gets them out of their governorships and makes a Dem pretty likely to be the next governor. Jeff f***king Flake is just speculation and never would happen.
Well Sununu would save Hassan ass in 2022
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-considering-former-senator-182159332.html

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2020/10/massachusetts-gov-charlie-baker-floated-as-possible-cabinet-member-for-joe-biden.html

https://www.whio.com/news/local/former-ohio-gov-kasich-being-considered-biden-cabinet-if-hes-elected-report-says/IEYMGFQ3OVEDREWBMK6URMAAF4/

Already being discussed elsewhere, but Biden is considering Charlie Baker, John Kasich and Jeff Flake for cabinet positions.

Any ideas which ones (Kasich, for example since he was previously OMB director, might be Treasury or Commerce, but I can't think of what Biden could be considering Baker or Flake for.)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2020, 05:41:22 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-considering-former-senator-182159332.html

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2020/10/massachusetts-gov-charlie-baker-floated-as-possible-cabinet-member-for-joe-biden.html

https://www.whio.com/news/local/former-ohio-gov-kasich-being-considered-biden-cabinet-if-hes-elected-report-says/IEYMGFQ3OVEDREWBMK6URMAAF4/

Already being discussed elsewhere, but Biden is considering Charlie Baker, John Kasich and Jeff Flake for cabinet positions.

Any ideas which ones (Kasich, for example since he was previously OMB director, might be Treasury or Commerce, but I can't think of what Biden could be considering Baker or Flake for.)

Baker for something like Transportation/Energy & Meg Whitman for something like Commerce/Labor seem like the only legitimate possibilities. I don't imagine Kasich & Flake are actually legitimate Cabinet contenders.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »

Baker for something like Transportation/Energy & Meg Whitman for something like Commerce/Labor seem like the only legitimate possibilities. I don't imagine Kasich & Flake are actually legitimate Cabinet contenders.

Baker would be a 4D chess move. It would remove him from his popular position as Governor.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »

I wish he wouldn't, but I get why he feels like he has to. Democrats always have to be the adults in the room who take the higher road and have the responsibility or trying to get the country to do so also.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »

Disgusting.

He better just be vetting them rather than actually picking them.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »

Given the number of well-known Republicans supporting Biden and Biden's general message of unity and reconciliation, I think Republicans should at least be thrown a bone. And I'm pretty sure the sky isn't going to fall if (e.g.) Charlie Dent served as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2020, 10:40:31 PM »

Of course it'll have more Republicans than progressives. Both parties agree that progressives need nothing.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2020, 12:37:45 AM »

No Republican should be running the Labor Department.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies