What should be the maximum permitted sentence for a 14-year-old offender? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:33:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should be the maximum permitted sentence for a 14-year-old offender? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Death

Life imprisonment

50 years imprisonment

40 years imprisonment

30 years imprisonment

20 years imprisonment

Juvenile incarceration until age 21

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What should be the maximum permitted sentence for a 14-year-old offender?  (Read 4347 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

Rehabilitation until 18 (not f**king evil)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »

uh, i wouldn't have any problem granting full legal rights to 14 year olds. in the past we had no such social construct as 'adolescent' or 'teenage.' people got apprenticeships and were productive instead of living bizarrely long chunks of their life doing nothing in particular and being isolated from socialization with adults. 'teenage rebellion' wasn't really a meme pre 20th century for a reason. actually if you dig through my posts that's a recurring theme, the destructive infantilization of the public.

Fair enough, maybe you're consistent in treating them as adults, but many are not.  When 14-year-olds could be executed in the US, 21 was the voting age.  Clearly, adult policy-makers did not view adolescents as sensible enough to vote, but they were certainly viewed as old enough to work like adults and receive adult punishments.  That's having the responsibilities of adulthood without the rights or dignity of adulthood.

That actually hasn't changed, since 16 year olds are legally able to work but not legally able to vote. Which we fought a war over, if I do remember correctly.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »

Rehabilitation until 18 (not f**king evil)

You have pretty strong views, and and in your world agreeing with you on about 60% is just as awful as agreeing with you not at all.

If a 14-year-old brat murdered your mom in cold blood, you would support having that kid completely free at 18, correct?

Sick burn bro.

Yes, I would favor that person being legally off the hook at 18, provided that he spent the four years in between at some kind of mental institution or rehabilitative facility, with continued monitoring of him until he was not deemed a significant threat to society anymore.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

I'm assuming those voting for life imprisonment or death are doing so tongue-in-cheek....  Tongue

Twenty years maximum is what I voted for.  Unlike most offenders in adult prisons, juveniles can still be rehabilitated. 

Any particular reason why you think that's the case? I don't see why an adult would be un-reformable beyond the fact that prisons tend to cause more problems then they're worth.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies