Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:41:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Hillary Feels that the BLM Movement > Police Endorsement. Do you agree?
No. Cops enforce the law. BLM advocates breaking the law.

No. All Lives (and endorsements) matter.

Yes. Who cares what the cops think?

Yes. Black Lives Matter. Cops lives (and endorsements) do not.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Hillary to Police: Don't Endorse Me  (Read 2000 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »

How can people call themselves pro-labor and pro-worker while disparaging police unions?

Easily. Policemen aren't workers.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »

How can people call themselves pro-labor and pro-worker while disparaging police unions? Policing is a thankless profession that is essential to civil society and their natural home, in my opinion, is the Democratic Party. It is a mistake to push them away.

In what way is policing "thankless"? If you want to hear about someone who performs work that is vital to our way of life and who is rarely publicly acknowledged, talk to a construction worker. Talk to a logger. Talk to a farmer. Talk to someone who works on a fishing boat.

Police have lower rates of work-related mortality than many other active, blue-collar professions and receive far more public acclaim. No one campaigns on promising to "protect our loggers." No one thanks construction workers for their service. People who don't know people with these jobs rarely even think about the fact that there are people out there doing them every day.

Yet we rely on them. We expect for them to do their jobs without needlessly killing people, through either negligence or malice. And we would not tolerate a union that dismissed deaths caused by shoddy work as unavoidable collateral damage for which no one should be held responsible.

See I'm not even a raging law enforcement defender, but comments like this make me sick and it's one of the significant problems with your party.

You sit there and try and snub the law enforcement that has your ass in the heat of the moment at all times and time of the day, leaving their family to answer to any call day by day, and then compare their daily courage with a farmer or a fisher? Take a hike you piece of s  h  i  t,  you are whats wrong with the current police relations in the United States. You bet your sweet ass you owe them a "thank you".
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »

1) Saying that she won't seek an endorsement isn't saying she doesn't want them to.

2) Police officers aren't thanked enough for the job they do. They can never be thanked enough because most of them are trying to do something honorable.

3) BLM is trying to do good things, and we shouldn't judge all of them too harshly for their more crazy members, as that is what they are doing to police officers. (As in, their more crazy members are judging all cops too harshly for the more racist/trigger happy cops.)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »

How can people call themselves pro-labor and pro-worker while disparaging police unions? Policing is a thankless profession that is essential to civil society and their natural home, in my opinion, is the Democratic Party. It is a mistake to push them away.
I have a deep dislike of public sector unions.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »

The issues of the treatment of black suspects by law enforcement, and of policing, in general, as it applies to the way blacks in our population are treated by police, are legitimate issue.  BLM, however, is not, IMO, a legitimate organization; they are folks that use tactic of intimidation and bullying to there own political ends.  They also advocate the idea that persons somehow have the right to resist a lawful arrest (e. g. Eric Garner).  This idea, taking hold in the mind of lawbreakers, ramps up the danger for law enforcement officers.

Bill Clinton was 100% correct in calling out Sister Souljah in 1992.  She was calling for the murder of police officers; in what universe is that OK and deserving of a pass?  If Hillary were intellectually honest, she'd be honest with the African American constituencies within the Democratic Party about the fact that, in reality, blacks have less to fear from police officers then they do from remorseless criminals, many of whom are criminal gang members, who are armed to the teeth, that are living in their communities and have used terror to intimidate law abiding people into silence.  Indeed, this is something Barack Obama needs to say as well, even if he has said these things before.  If Hillary has really come to the conclusion that a Police Union endorsement is a negative thing, then something is either really wrong with her, or really wrong with much of America.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »

BLM are total thugs and should not be legitimized as the Dems are doing.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »

Yes, perfectly legit movement. It's not like they've openly chanted for killing and frying cops before, after all. It should be a much bigger deal that the Dems are giving a national platform to these racial anarchists.

https://youtu.be/05qQDD14r9w

Can we just have that discussion about about the lime-green avatar being the worst colour on Atlas? But it's also reflective of the issue with 'Independents' being, you know... not at all independent.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »

Is every member of BLM a total thug, or just the ones you heard about on Fox News? They should be legitimized, and your attitude isn't helping anything get done.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »

Yes, perfectly legit movement. It's not like they've openly chanted for killing and frying cops before, after all. It should be a much bigger deal that the Dems are giving a national platform to these racial anarchists.

Can we just have that discussion about about the lime-green avatar being the worst colour on Atlas? But it's also reflective of the issue with 'Independents' being, you know... not at all independent.
Hey now, not all of us are using it as a smokescreen.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »

Can we dispel with this fiction that you cannot stand with both BLM and police officers? Both aim to accomplish good things, but the worst members of both are souring the relationship between them. Maybe they could work together to get things done if some people stop calling them racial anarchists and thugs.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »

Hey now, not all of us are using it as a smokescreen.

Apologies, but unfortunately, you've chosen to bunch yourself with an unsavory grouping.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 07:29:27 PM »

1) Saying that she won't seek an endorsement isn't saying she doesn't want them to.

2) Police officers aren't thanked enough for the job they do. They can never be thanked enough because most of them are trying to do something honorable.

3) BLM is trying to do good things, and we shouldn't judge all of them too harshly for their more crazy members, as that is what they are doing to police officers. (As in, their more crazy members are judging all cops too harshly for the more racist/trigger happy cops.)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »

Banning all unions would be an easier pill for me to swallow than allowing police unions to continue to exist.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »

Can we dispel with this fiction that you cannot stand with both BLM and police officers? Both aim to accomplish good things, but the worst members of both are souring the relationship between them. Maybe they could work together to get things done if some people stop calling them racial anarchists and thugs.

This.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2016, 08:07:56 PM by cinyc »

Somewhat off-topic, but 'Hillary!' might be the worst nickname for a candidate I've seen on this forum. Ever. It was funny and relevant for ¿Yeb? because that was literally his logo. But trying to use the nickname for Clinton as well robs it of all context and the entire reason why Jeb was even called that so constantly.

You mean to say that Seriously? has a strange habit of welding punctuation onto words that shouldn't really have them?

I seem to recall Hillary Clinton using the "Hillary!" moniker herself, perhaps back in her 2000 campaign for New York Senator.  This article seems to confirm that - but I can't find any Hillary! images online.  Thar might be because the Internet was in its infancy in 2000 or it's just plain impossible to do a Google search for a term that ends in an exclamation point without also getting results for the term without the punctuation mark.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:10 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but 'Hillary!' might be the worst nickname for a candidate I've seen on this forum. Ever. It was funny and relevant for ¿Yeb? because that was literally his logo. But trying to use the nickname for Clinton as well robs it of all context and the entire reason why Jeb was even called that so constantly.

You mean to say that Seriously? has a strange habit of welding punctuation onto words that shouldn't really have them?

I seem to recall Hillary Clinton using the "Hillary!" moniker herself, perhaps back in her 2000 campaign for New York Senator.  This article seems to confirm that - but I can't find any Hillary! images online.  Thar might be because the Internet was in its infancy in 2000 or it's just plain impossible to do a Google search for a term that ends in an exclamation point without also getting results for the term without the punctuation mark.
Jeb actually pasted it onto a sign and used it for years. Hillary hasn't done that.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »

Jeb actually pasted it onto a sign and used it for years. Hillary hasn't done that.

I seem to recall Hillary using "Hillary!" on at least some signs during the 2000 campaign for New York Senator, and perhaps later.  I remember it being as dumb as the "Jeb!" signs were this cycle.  If you need to add an explanation point, you're not that exciting a candidate.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 11:51:12 PM »

All of this is true, but it doesn't oblige me to defend the actions of a few racist idiots.  It feels like there's no middle ground whatsoever on this issue.  It seems that about 10-20% of police officers are regularly doing racist/inappropriate things, while the other 80-90% are just decent people who want to keep their communities safe.  Can't anyone take a step back and distinguish this? 
Police and police unions should not be exempt from scrutiny or criticism. In fact, because of their position of public trust and authority, police should be subject to more scrutiny than the average public sector worker, if anything. I just believe that actively shunning police endorsements is divisive and only fans the flames of racial tension.

Wow, what a sensible, bridge-building comment from Santander (no sarcasm).
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »

She's not seeking the endorsement of Black Lives Matter, such as it exists as an organization. Sure, she sought the endorsements of the Mothers of the Movement, but they have little to do with Black Lives Matter.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:59 AM »

I seem to recall Hillary using "Hillary!" on at least some signs during the 2000 campaign for New York Senator, and perhaps later.  I remember it being as dumb as the "Jeb!" signs were this cycle.  If you need to add an explanation point, you're not that exciting a candidate.

To be fair though, do you really expect Seriously? to actually know that happened?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies