DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:43:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40733 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »

There should be no territories, and there shouldn't be any part of the United States where citizens don't have representation in Washington.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »

And do Puerto Rico too.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »

Unlike Puerto Rico, you can arguably do DC through reconciliation depending on how cute you want to get with the Senate rules.

What is actually required to make both states?

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

(Apologies if I'm showing my stupidity.)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »

Unlike Puerto Rico, you can arguably do DC through reconciliation depending on how cute you want to get with the Senate rules.

What is actually required to make both states?

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

(Apologies if I'm showing my stupidity.)

The Puerto Rico government which is currently anti-statehood has to draft a constitution and everything.

That too Tongue

Sooo probably not gonna happen.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »

Halfway home! It took 3 months from Biden's inauguration to get this far. I think July 22 is a great over/under for DC becoming the 51st state. July 4 would be a nice symbolic date, given the "taxation without representation" aspect of this issue.

Is there really any chance of it happening though?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »

Halfway home! It took 3 months from Biden's inauguration to get this far. I think July 22 is a great over/under for DC becoming the 51st state. July 4 would be a nice symbolic date, given the "taxation without representation" aspect of this issue.

Is there really any chance of it happening though?

One

Hundred

Percent

(Minus the chance that Democrats somehow lose control of a chamber over the next few months, so really high-99s)

I thought Democrats need 60 votes in the Senate to make it happen?

I mean, unless they somehow do away with the filibuster before then.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »

Unless the filibuster gets removed or modified, DC Statehood is unfortunately not going to pass the Senate.

Also, Manchin is non-committal/undecided on DC Statehood. Sinema has been silent on this as well.

There's a case that DC statehood doesn't require filibuster

What’s the case?

I want it to happen, I just don’t see it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:08 PM »

I don’t want to be a doomer, but I really don’t see it happening.

Republicans will do absolutely everything they can to stop it.  And it’s possible not all Democrats are even on board.

I hope I’m wrong.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 07:22:54 PM »

I don’t want to be a doomer, but I really don’t see it happening.

Republicans will do absolutely everything they can to stop it.  And it’s possible not all Democrats are even on board.

I hope I’m wrong.

except you are a doomer...

Okay, but explain why my dooming about this is uncalled for.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 06:32:40 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 08:01:05 AM by The Trump Virus »

Some people on this forum are gonna have reservations about DC unless the Filibuster is lifted, it's not called being a Doomer

Sorry King Purple heart, but you’re wrong on this one.

I want to be wrong.  Does that still count as dooming?

I’m also still waiting on someone to explain how it’s gonna happen when we all know Republicans will do everything they possibly can to fight it, and Democrats won’t be able to get 60 votes.

But yea, go on with your forum circle jerk.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »

The filibuster is the only thing standing in the way here.  Republicans would abolish it in a heartbeat if it meant passing their agenda.  Democrats need to start playing by the GOP's take-no-prisoners approach to passing legislation.

If DC and PR were Republican strongholds they would've been states long ago.  McConnell would've seen to it and he would have knocked down whatever barrier he needed to accomplish it.  I wish we had a liberal with the guts of a turtle.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

King, Kelly, Manchin, Sinema, have all expressed reservation about statehood so I would celebrate yet

No they haven't. They've all said something along the lines of "i have to look more into it" which is nowhere near a reservation and especially nowhere near opposition.

“I’m going to look into it,” is a nice way of saying “No.”

In this context, not really.  It's more like, I'll support it once it has the requisite support to pass, but I won't stick my neck out if it won't pass anyway.

And that would require 60 votes, which won’t happen.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »

On one hand I find it hard to believe the administration would put out a statement endorsing the position without knowing it’ll pass. However I just can’t see how that happens. I think the right is going to put the fear of god and the praise from Republicans is a drug Manchin just can’t stop
(let’s be honest it’s Manchin, Sinema would fold like a tent if it was just her).

Careful, people will call you a doomer for being cautious and realistic.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 10:00:34 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/swing-state-dems-come-against-122820450.html

Here is an important development, swing state D's come out against Crt packing Bennett, CCM and KELLY, even if New states are added keep it at 9 even if DC Statehood is added

D's are stick with 9, I think some would argue against Crt packing due to Federalize LGBT rights

Not to derail the thread, since this is supposed to be about DC, but this is exactly why Democrats are pussies once they're in power.  Republicans would've already packed the court by now, if the situation were reversed.

Say what you will about McConnell, but he knows how to work the system.  He does it better than any Democrat I've ever seen, because every single Democrat caves in the end.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 02:51:05 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 02:54:58 PM by The Trump Virus »

Just look a few posts back to see people calling me a doomer for daring to suggest DC statehood wouldn't happen.

The only way we'll get anything significant passed is to abolish the filibuster.  There's no other path.

I know it's counterproductive but I really hope Manchin loses his next election.  I'd be fine losing this seat and even losing the majority just to have him out.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »

Foolish, even if you ignore the fact that DC residents are not properly represented in congress. Two extra senators would give Manchin and Sinema cover to vote with Republicans on certain issues without derailing the Democratic agenda.

That's why I'm still mad for Gideon and Cunningham not winning. Or Bill Nelson.

Yea, why didn't anyone claim they lost due to voter fraud?

Republicans would have said this, so why didn't we?  Sure, there's no evidence of it but that doesn't matter anymore.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »

If something ever seems too good to be true, it probably is.

People here were waaay too optimistic about this.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »

So now we all think Manchin is going to play a bit a 4D chess?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies