Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:10:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 42121 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 01, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
« edited: July 01, 2012, 01:54:30 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

My pick is John Thune.  I'm glad you didn't include Marco Rubio, despite the broken-record speculation.  He doesn't want it, and even if he did, he isn't ready for it.  That's the problem for most of these guys: people are trying to pick them before they're ripe.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

3)  John Kerry lost an election because of accusations of hypocrisy that were arguably not true. What makes you think that accusing a Massachusetts politician of hypocrisy that manifestly is in fact a thing would go any better for the target?
Mitt Romney hasn't flipped on national health care at all (he implemented a state plan)
1) Which is a distinction most Americans won't notice.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
2)  Mitt Romney also appears to be pretty incoherent/out-of-touch.

1) The issue is noticeable.  Romney has campaigned on the issue of repeal for 2 years now.  Nobody cares about what happened in Massachusetts 10 years ago.  All bringing it up does, is make him look centrist and reasonable.   

2) I don't know what you mean by "appears" exactly, but he obviously isn't incoherent and he is less "out-of-touch" than Obama is or Kerry was/is.   

3) I think it is interesting how leftist-ish democrats always come up with simple/wrongheaded excuses (usually involving some supposed republican dirty trick) as to why they lost an election.  Kerry didn't lose because of "flip-flopping" and Dukakis didn't lose because of "Willie Horton."  They can never accept that they were wrong on dozens of important policy positions and america correctly rejected them on their merit, so they invent folklore.       
I would argue that presidential candidates lose when they run as hard ideologues (e.g. Gore and Kerry as hard liberals and Goldwater as a hard conservative) and win when they campaign as centrists.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies