Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.  (Read 5668 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »

On the 2020 implications, I don't think it changes much. It just energises both bases even more, though they are both already super energised. It might marginally hurt Democrats in Senate races like Montana, but Tester did win in 2018 right after voting against Kavanaugh so even this is doubtful. Most likely Biden will still win and have a Democratic trifecta, and they will still be able to do a lot of good stuff (and just be much, much better than Trump). It is a setback having a conservative 6-3 Court though.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »

If anything this might demoralize Dems. Beating Trump would be a hollow victory if none of their legislative accomplishments can survive or get through.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »

First off RIP RBG, she was a boss.

Secondly,  I don't see how this benefits Trump.

But I also don't see how it benefits Biden.

One of the arguments liberals used to try to persuade Bernie or Busters (already a small minority though) to vote dem was to prevent another Trump pick on the Court.

That's gone now.

It doesn’t really help either candidate in the Presidential race.  It might make a difference in some Senate races depending of how they play it.

Could Republicans save Susan Collins if they coordinated a way for her to cast the deciding vote against filling the seat?
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »

One of the arguments liberals used to try to persuade Bernie or Busters (already a small minority though) to vote dem was to prevent another Trump pick on the Court.

That's gone now.

It doesn’t really help either candidate in the Presidential race.  It might make a difference in some Senate races depending of how they play it.
In the end this election is about Trump, and his record. He is unpopular, his record is unpopular. This won't change that.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »

First off, RIP to a true American hero.

Second, the election is over. Trump won today.

Even if he doesn't pick a new justice now, all he has to do is win in November, and pick a new justice in January, and Conservatives will go to the polls to get that done.

This also probably puts all of the battleground Senate seats, with the exception of Colorado and possibly Maine, in the Republican column.

In short, it's a magic bullet for Republicans.

In fact, it's so good for Republicans, that I'd almost suspect foul play if I didn't know how bad Ginsburg's health had been beforehand.

Conservatives are already going to turn out. Trump is maxed out for turnout and that has never been a concern. His problem is that he has alienated moderates in places that Republicans have never alienated them before. There are no Trump voters left to energize, because they are already insanely obsessed with seeing Trump re-elected. This only makes reluctant Democratic voters more like to turnout to vote for Biden.

First of all, RIP to Ruth Ginsburg, a great woman.

Then, electorally, I also think that Trump's base is energized enough. But will there be any effect on more swing-y voters?

In this election it seems as if there are fewer swing voters than ever since there are such glaring differences between the candidates.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2020, 07:31:35 PM by Yank2133 »

D's are going have to expand the court.

This sh**t is just not sustainable. If R's bitch about it, well tough luck. McConnell broke the courts.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »

First off, RIP to a true American hero.

Second, the election is over. Trump won today.

Even if he doesn't pick a new justice now, all he has to do is win in November, and pick a new justice in January, and Conservatives will go to the polls to get that done.

This also probably puts all of the battleground Senate seats, with the exception of Colorado and possibly Maine, in the Republican column.

In short, it's a magic bullet for Republicans.

In fact, it's so good for Republicans, that I'd almost suspect foul play if I didn't know how bad Ginsburg's health had been beforehand.

For once, we agree!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:18 PM »

If anything this might demoralize Dems. Beating Trump would be a hollow victory if none of their legislative accomplishments can survive or get through.

That's literally never how it works in American Politics...ever.   The public almost always seeks to put a check on the side they view as having too much power.  From the national level down to the state level, America is fervently anti-tyrannical.  

It's probably the key reason why midterms go poorly for the party that holds the White House.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:39 PM »

I've called both of my Senators and left messages demanding no hearings for a new Justice until after the inauguration and will be calling on again on Monday so I can speak to actual people as well.

McConnell whom obstructed Garland said he will confirm a new justice before election if Ginsberg died

McConnell can go screw himself, he can't do anything if we can make enough of the Senate Republican conference decide not to follow him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »

I don’t know why we are just talking about abortion. This being back the right to contracts and the finding that the ACA violates that God given constitutional  right.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »

How would one add seats to the court?  Wouldn't that require a constitutional amendment?

Democrats are just screwed.  There's no two ways around it.  Trump and Mitch are going to shove through some far-right activist 45-year-old and the court will fulfill all of right-wingers' wildest dreams for the next twenty years.
Nope, you need a majority. FDR tried it way back.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »

That's literally never how it works in American Politics...ever.   The public almost always seeks to put a check on the side they view as having too much power.  From the national level down to the state level, America is fervently anti-tyrannical.   

It's probably the key reason that midterms go poorly for the party that holds the White House.

People demand a check on the president and then they complain nothing gets done.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2020, 07:30:54 PM »

My two cents

First, my grief. RBG was a titan of jurisprudence and a great legal (Jewish Smiley ) mind. Very sad.

As for the Political consequences I don't think that the seat will be filled or that it will effect the election. I don't believe this will convince any voters to change their mind, nor do I believe that turnout gained from this will be unevenly disputed. Neither do I believe the seat will be filled, as Murk has already announced her speedy opposition, and the pressure on Republicans running in 2020 will be immense (especially Collins).
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

lol, she will cave.

They are going to confirm someone in the lame duck sessions. McConnell doesn't care about norms what so ever.

Expand the court and ditch the filibuster. If the court ends up being a delegitimatize mess for the future then oh well. Republicans would have no one to blame but themselves. 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2020, 07:35:13 PM »

It is very hard for me to think clearly right now.

I’m gonna try to be as rational as I can here anyway.

I think that if McConnell rushes through a nominee, there will be a MASSIVE uproar and backlash among Democrats that even many independents will sympathize with. And he almost certainly will. In fact, I can see the GOP deliberately choosing to nominate a SCOTUS justice even if they know it sinks Trump over trying to help Trump get re-elected.

Even if they did leave the nomination open for the election, well, part of the reason Scalia’s seat may have helped motivate Republicans to vote is that voters fear a loss more than they hope for a gain, generally. So it still might be a net gain to Democratic momentum in this case over Republican momentum.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »

That's gone now.

Breyer or Thomas could still bite it, or the latter could retire in favor of a younger justice if Trump won again.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »

This election just got a whole uglier
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:37 PM »

*gives Bernie Sanders and his Bros the biggest, fattest middle finger on Planet Earth*
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »

*gives Bernie Sanders and his Bros the biggest, fattest middle finger on Planet Earth*

Yeah, we wouldn’t be in this position at all without the “aCcElErATioNisTs.”
woodley park

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »

lol, she will cave.

They are going to confirm someone in the lame duck sessions. McConnell doesn't care about norms what so ever.

Expand the court and ditch the filibuster. If the court ends up being a delegitimatize mess for the future then oh well. Republicans would have no one to blame but themselves. 

If McConnell declines to raise a nominee now, he isn't going to raise one during the lame duck session, especially if Trump has lost and it is obvious that the GOP has lost the majority.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »

If the GOP tries to replace her there will be a massive uproar.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2020, 07:39:38 PM »

lol, she will cave.

If McConnell declines to raise a nominee now, he isn't going to raise one during the lame duck session, especially if Trump has lost and it is obvious that the GOP has lost the majority.

Yeah right. I can almost see them waiting until then to prove their “respectability” and hope it helps get Trump elected again.

But if he isn’t anyway, they will absolutely shove a nominee through in the lame duck session as one last middle finger to America on their way out.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2020, 07:40:18 PM »

I mean it wasn’t Bernie himself man lol. He did 39 rallies for Clinton in 2016.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2020, 07:40:22 PM »

lol, she will cave.

I don't think McConnell gives a sh**t. He might not think Democrats won't have the balls to go through with their court-packing threat if they get the majority.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies