Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.  (Read 5702 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 07:00:44 PM »

FUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I've been dreading this day for four years, and it finally happened.  Of course it would be in 2020!

Does the election even matter anymore? The right has won for an entire generation even if they lose these next four years in the White House. Get your coat-hangers ready.

This has officially ruined my year, not that it was a very good one to begin with.

This makes the election even more important.  Democrats now absolutely must win the Senate so they can pack the Court.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »

First off, RIP to a true American hero.

Second, the election is over. Trump won today.

Even if he doesn't pick a new justice now, all he has to do is win in November, and pick a new justice in January, and Conservatives will go to the polls to get that done.

This also probably puts all of the battleground Senate seats, with the exception of Colorado and possibly Maine, in the Republican column.

In short, it's a magic bullet for Republicans.

In fact, it's so good for Republicans, that I'd almost suspect foul play if I didn't know how bad Ginsburg's health had been beforehand.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2020, 07:13:13 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

FUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I've been dreading this day for four years, and it finally happened.  Of course it would be in 2020!

Does the election even matter anymore? The right has won for an entire generation even if they lose these next four years in the White House. Get your coat-hangers ready.

This has officially ruined my year, not that it was a very good one to begin with.

This makes the election even more important.  Democrats now absolutely must win the Senate so they can pack the Court.

Democrats are never going to be able to get away with that, and if it does happen  it's going to bite us  in the ass when the GOP becomes the majority again.
Cyrusman
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »

Does trump have enough time to pick someone else?
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »

The reason it helps Trump is because now right-wingers are going to be extremely motivated to turn out.  Roe v Wade is basically on the ballot now since once Trump confirms his nominee, the only way legal abortion can be saved is by the Democrats winning a trifecta and packing the court.

Abortion is horrible.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:15 PM »

Even if he doesn't pick a new justice now, all he has to do is win in November, and pick a new justice in January, and Conservatives will go to the polls to get that done.

This also probably puts all of the battleground Senate seats, with the exception of Colorado and possibly Maine, in the Republican column.

In fact, it's so good for Republicans, that I'd almost suspect foul play if I didn't know how bad Ginsburg's health had been beforehand.

Oh FFS...
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »

This makes the election even more important.  Democrats now absolutely must win the Senate so they can pack the Court.
Will Manchin and Sinema vote for a court pack? Dems might need to win a 52/48 senate, possibly more depending on who the 51st/52nd are (do Gross or Bollier vote for a court pack?).
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »

RIP

Definitely helps increase turnout for Biden.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »

First of all, RIP to an American hero who was inspiring for the whole word.

Secondly, someone really need to tell me who the voters are that change their mind because of this or turnout because of this. It doesn't make any sense
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2020, 07:07:20 PM »

F&CK F&CKITY F&CK
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

The reason it helps Trump is because now right-wingers are going to be extremely motivated to turn out.  Roe v Wade is basically on the ballot now since once Trump confirms his nominee, the only way legal abortion can be saved is by the Democrats winning a trifecta and packing the court.

Abortion is horrible.

Then why can't you convince women to not have them of their own accord?

If it's so indisputably horrible, then you should be able to rationally persuade them not to do it.

But you can't so you'd rather use the heavy hand of government to control what families look like.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »

Abortion is horrible.

If it's so indisputably horrible, then you should be able to rationally persuade them not to do it.

But you can't so you'd rather use the heavy hand of government to control what families look like.
That’s...a hella bad argument.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »

Well, if anything could have restored my fervor for Biden...
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »

Does trump have enough time to pick someone else?
One and a half months until the election but three and a half months until the new senate takes office and four months until the next president takes office.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »

Conservatives are already going to turn out. Trump is maxed out for turnout and that has never been a concern. His problem is that he has alienated moderates in places that Republicans have never alienated them before. There are no Trump voters left to energize, because they are already insanely obsessed with seeing Trump re-elected. This only makes reluctant Democratic voters more like to turnout to vote for Biden.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »

I've called both of my Senators and left messages demanding no hearings for a new Justice until after the inauguration and will be calling on again on Monday so I can speak to actual people as well.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »

Kelly will not be seated until Jan. now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2020, 07:11:20 PM »

Abortion is horrible.

Stop talking about abortion. It's a personal issue, it should be left alone
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »

I've called both of my Senators and left messages demanding no hearings for a new Justice until after the inauguration and will be calling on again on Monday so I can speak to actual people as well.

McConnell whom obstructed Garland said he will confirm a new justice before election if Ginsberg died
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »

Conservatives are already going to turn out. Trump is maxed out for turnout and that has never been a concern. His problem is that he has alienated moderates in places that Republicans have never alienated them before. There are no Trump voters left to energize, because they are already insanely obsessed with seeing Trump re-elected. This only makes reluctant Democratic voters more like to turnout to vote for Biden.

First of all, RIP to Ruth Ginsburg, a great woman.

Then, electorally, I also think that Trump's base is energized enough. But will there be any effect on more swing-y voters?
MysteryMan
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »

If the GOP pushes through a replacement, then pack the court or declare that Marbury vs Madison is invalid, because a 6-3 conservative majority with three being Trump picks will devastate any attempt to fix the problems of this nation
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2020, 07:16:04 PM »

That's not up to Mitch. Once AZ certifies his win, he's the Senator.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »

If Trump picks Merrick Garland would that be okay?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »

First of all, RIP to Ruth Ginsburg, a great woman.

Then, electorally, I also think that Trump's base is energized enough. But will there be any effect on more swing-y voters?

That’s the question.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »

First off RIP RBG, she was a boss.

Secondly,  I don't see how this benefits Trump.

But I also don't see how it benefits Biden.

One of the arguments liberals used to try to persuade Bernie or Busters (already a small minority though) to vote dem was to prevent another Trump pick on the Court.

That's gone now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies