Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:15:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193041 times)
Agafin
Cameroon

« on: July 27, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
« edited: July 27, 2023, 11:50:06 AM by Agafin »

2.Canada's real GDP per capita is growing, contrary to what the recent headline article said. The article contradicted itself but pointed out that Real GDP per capita is growing at about 0.4% a year, which is very low.

From the TD Bank report: Jul 13, 2023 — Canadian real GDP per capita has grown at a meagre rate of only +0.4% annually, paling in comparison to the advanced economy average of +1.4%.

I think what the headline meant to say is that there has been a slowdown in the growth rate of real GDP per capita. This is similar to the distinction between disinflation (a decline in the rate of inflation) and deflation (a decline in prices.)

Assuming we're all talking about this article, then it's pretty damning for Canada tbh. US GDP per capita has increased by 11.7% in the same time period that Canada's increased by 2.4%. These immigration levels are starting to look like a gigantic ponzi scheme.

I used to think of Australia and Canada as mirror countries from the two hemispheres but it seems like Australia is more reasonable here. They have much more sustainable levels of immigration which have allowed their GDP per capita to increase in tandem with other advanced economies.

Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 04:38:49 AM »

Can a nationwide election even be held in canada right now? If the governement collapses for some reason and elections are called, how will the citizens of NWT even vote when over half of them have been evacuated? VBM?
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 04:35:54 AM »

Is there a thread on here on the reapportionment that will likely be in place for the next election?

If not, is there a general consensus on how reapportionment will affect party standings? Did any incumbents in particular get kind of screwed over? Where is the lost seat in Quebec?

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=467200.0

There is no lost seat in Quebec, they amended the law so it wouldn't happen.

Textbook Malapportionment. What will happen as the rest of Canada keeps growing faster than Quebec? I guess a system like India where their ratio is arbitrarily "frozen" might happen due to their distinct culture?
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 05:00:21 AM »

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/millennials-nearly-twice-as-likely-to-vote-for-conservatives-over-liberals-new-survey-suggests/article_7875f9b4-c818-547e-bf68-0f443ba321dc.html

Congrats to Trudeau for making Canada the first anglo-country where millenials might vote to the right of boomers.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 05:35:26 AM »

This is going to sound like "he was no angel" deflection but is it true that the organisation Nijjar was part of (Khalinstad or something) was openly calling for the assassination of indian diplomats in Canada? That's what I'm seeing bombarded in every indian subforum (on reddit) that I occasionally visit. They seem to be pretty universally on India's side (except the sikh specific ones).

Honestly, the world would be a better place if immigrants just left behind whatever their native countries' issues were once they go to another country. Be it middle eastern muslims trying to bring their religious cultures or indian sikhs trying to bring their seperatist movements and the like. You came to a new country for a better future, just keep the other stuff for when you go back home. I know that this goes against Canada's idea of a "salad bowl" or whatever their concept of multiculturalism is, but I'm sure some canadians would agree. 
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 10:02:44 AM »

Honestly, the world would be a better place if immigrants just left behind whatever their native countries' issues were once they go to another country. Be it middle eastern muslims trying to bring their religious cultures or indian sikhs trying to bring their seperatist movements and the like. You came to a new country for a better future, just keep the other stuff for when you go back home. I know that this goes against Canada's idea of a "salad bowl" or whatever their concept of multiculturalism is, but I'm sure some canadians would agree. 

But in the real world, this is pie in the sky and disregards human nature. I mean, we Brits also had it with "Irish Americans" (whose ancestors sometimes emigrated ages ago) ignorantly boosting the IRA.

Yeah but like 2952-0-0 said above, the issue wouldn't be as bad if political leaders didn't try to pander to seclusive communities because inevitably, they'll then bring these issues to the forefront. That's exactly what seems to have happened with Trudeau. Why couldn't he come out as strongly against this khalinstan movement like his US and UK counterparts did? Fear of losing sikh votes? Though I guess every country has these kind of issues (looking at US and cubans in Florida).
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 12:09:41 PM »

Poilievre picking a fight with David Eby is really dumb. Boost the BC Cons by all means, but there's no reason to specifically go after a premier who is fairly popular in his province and is all but certain to win a full 4-year mandate this fall. The combative tone works against Trudeau because he's unpopular, it doesn't work against a popular leader. I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve here. Maybe he's trying to get Eby in line with the other premiers (and apparently Bonnie Crombie!) on the carbon tax issue. It's not gonna happen, Eby's like the one Anglo premier who doesn't feel the pressure to axe the tax, both because of his province's inclination towards environmentalism, and the fact that the opposition to him is very fragmented.

Mainstreet has just released a poll showing the conservatives only 6 points below the BCNDP. Poilievre knows what he's doing.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 06:09:52 AM »

So based on latest polls, the conservative lead is actually now surging into the 20%+ range. This is downright terrible for liberals. A party polling as well as the conservatives so far away from an election always run the risk of "peaking" too early. But given that the conservatives' lead has only risen since it surged past the liberals, this might actually be a situation similar to the Ontario liberals in 2018: people are just sick of them no matter what happens. Almost as embarassing is the failure of the NDP to capitalize on the drop of the liberals. The ABC vote is dead.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies