Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 190377 times)
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« on: March 24, 2023, 06:27:26 PM »

I hate our entire system.  The NDP will break soon and we'll get a no confidence vote, another election, and another liberal minority now with the added uncertainty of Chinese interference.  There's really nothing preventing Trudeau from running indefinitely.  No term limits or way to impeach.  67% of Canadians who voted did not back our PM in 2021. It's frustrating.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2023, 09:30:05 AM by BasedSanta »

Ontario's election watchdog wants opinion polls banned in run-up to voting day

In the wake of record-low turnout for an Ontario election, the province's chief electoral officer is calling for a ban on publishing the results of political polls for the final stretch of the campaign.

The recommendation is one of many in a new post-election report from Elections Ontario.

Under the heading "a call for legislative change," the report recommends disallowing published reports of political polls two weeks in advance of election day

"Political polls have the potential to influence election results," says the report. "The Chief Electoral Officer recommends that no public opinion polling results stating political party favourability ratings be published in the final two weeks before election day."

Link to full article

I don't think I need to explain why this is a bad idea...
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 09:28:57 AM »

Vancouver man, Paul Stanley Schmidt, 37, stabbed to death outside Starbucks in Vancouver.

Some moron posted a video of himself on TikTok at the crime scene, with the man's body in the background.  Other people were just filming it on their cameras. I swear to God people are losing touch with reality more and more by the day.  Canada, the "friendly" country.  What a f**king joke.  SMH.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 11:52:22 AM »

Vancouver man, Paul Stanley Schmidt, 37, stabbed to death outside Starbucks in Vancouver.

Some moron posted a video of himself on TikTok at the crime scene, with the man's body in the background.  Other people were just filming it on their cameras. I swear to God people are losing touch with reality more and more by the day.  Canada, the "friendly" country.  What a f**king joke.  SMH.

Tbf, rubbernecking existed long before social media or even the internet.

That’s true.  Nor is filming horrible crimes and posting them on the internet unique to Canada.  But it is a societal failure and it’s definitely been made worse through social media.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 09:02:47 AM »

Some moron posted a video of himself on TikTok at the crime scene, with the man's body in the background.  Other people were just filming it on their cameras. I swear to God people are losing touch with reality more and more by the day.  Canada, the "friendly" country.  What a f**king joke.  SMH.

Tbf, rubbernecking existed long before social media or even the internet.

That’s true.  Nor is filming horrible crimes and posting them on the internet unique to Canada.  But it is a societal failure and it’s definitely been made worse through social media.

Yeah, the video was disgusting (that's why I never posted it) as most people were just filming the event as opposed to helping the guy.

It was a very different crime for most Canadian's to confront.

Tw: mentioned a suicide
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 09:38:04 PM »

Looks like Twitter is dying even faster than anticipated.  Elon's latest stunt involves Canada so I'll post it here.

It's sadly not inspect element. 
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 10:39:28 AM »

I've been voting Conservative ever since I was old enough to vote and intend to vote for them in the next election, but stunts like this by Poilievre disappoint me. Regardless of what you think of the CBC and whether or not you think it should be privatized, there is obviously a difference between a public broadcaster with a slight liberal bias and actual state propaganda networks in authoritarian regimes. The designation on Twitter blurs the line between the two and presents them as it they were the same. CBC has its issues with bias, but it is not a state propaganda network with government controlled content like RussiaToday, CGTN, Al Jazeera, etc.

I agree with you 100 percent.  I am really losing my faith in Poilievre, and I'm starting to doubt he has what it takes to win. But we shall see..
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 03:34:30 PM »

I can't see this holding together until 2025.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 12:35:06 PM »

I can't tell if the reporter is really stupid or the Politician is really smart.

Pierre Poilievre

Interview with False Questions

https://youtu.be/CmbAPfKJMRU?feature=shared

I saw this video a couple of days ago and shared it with some friends to point out how much of a narcissistic smuck Poilievere looks like here. Painfully insufferable. And everyone pretty much agreed he looked horrible here.

Of course you thought it was a good look. Cheesy

Yet he’s still winning by Mulroney/Reagan esque margins in the polls.  Curious?
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »

I can't tell if the reporter is really stupid or the Politician is really smart.

Pierre Poilievre

Interview with False Questions

https://youtu.be/CmbAPfKJMRU?feature=shared

I saw this video a couple of days ago and shared it with some friends to point out how much of a narcissistic smuck Poilievere looks like here. Painfully insufferable. And everyone pretty much agreed he looked horrible here.

Of course you thought it was a good look. Cheesy

Yet he’s still winning by Mulroney/Reagan esque margins in the polls.  Curious?

I mean, even by the worst polls 60% of Canadians are voting for parties on the "left or center-left" (the liberals clearly have centrist elements)... But yes, FPTP is a terrible system and Trudeau is also pretty 'insufferable' himself, albeit at least he isn't trying to emulate the worst parts of the populist conservatism in my country.

This is the result of having a multi party system.  No one has got a true majority (50% of the vote) since 1984. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies