What's your occupation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:40:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What's your occupation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 8906 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2004, 06:44:43 PM »

Okay, answer this then: how do you know that all Democrats are lazy, unemployed people if you don't trust exit polls?
People tend to vote what works best for them.  People receiving financial aid will vote for whomever will give them more.  People in jail will vote for whomever will get them out faster.  (In most cases.)

For both of those, Democrats is the party of choice.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2004, 06:44:52 PM »

Not all Democrats. A lot of poor people in cities vote Democrat, though.

Poor people != unemployed people.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2004, 06:46:03 PM »

There are a lot of really lazy poor people in this country, and a lot of hardworking poor people as well. But the lazy ones are overwhelmingly Democrats.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2004, 06:46:06 PM »

Not all Democrats. A lot of poor people in cities vote Democrat, though.

Poor people != unemployed people.
Unemployed is a subset of poor.  Try to use some logic here, ok?  Any claim made for poor people automatically goes for unemployed, because in general, all unemployed people are poor.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2004, 06:47:37 PM »

Okay, since all people who vote Democratic are lazy, unemployed slobs, surely CNN's exit polls will show that, right?

Do you work full time?

Yes (60%) - Bush 53% Kerry 45%
No (40%) - Bush 51% Kerry 49%

Oops!  Nope, sorry, try again!
The exit polls also showed Kerry winning.  Dude, I will have a degree in statistics.  Try again.

Bush won both of the above demographics.  I'm not exactly sure what your point is.  Should more of the "No" voters have gone to Kerry?  Surely if the exit polls were tilted in Kerry's favor, that would just mean that Bush would get a higher percentage in either or both of those two categories.

What evidence exactly will you listen to?  Evidence that supports your hypothesis?  You've rejected both polling and a spot check.  Do you just "know" that all Democrats are lazy, unemployed people, and did you pick that up through osmosis or something?

Not that I agree with Richius, but I don't think a quick examination of the poll proves anything, especially since it make no distinction between those who work part-time and those who don't work.  And it doesn't make a distiction between those who don't work because their spouse works and those who are truely unemployed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »

Okay, answer this then: how do you know that all Democrats are lazy, unemployed people if you don't trust exit polls?
People tend to vote what works best for them.  People receiving financial aid will vote for whomever will give them more.  People in jail will vote for whomever will get them out faster.  (In most cases.)

And for the greedy rich, they will vote Republican. For those who want to shoot people, Republican, too. Hate groups against minorities? Republicans - they're against affirmative action.

I can play that game too, but the point is I don't care. Those people are such a minority of the votership that I don't bring it up in every argument.

Crackdown on those who refuse to work, absolutely. While screwing over those who do work but can't feed their family? No way.

You can say whatever you want, but honestly I don't care until you give me proof. Sure, those who want welfare tend to vote Democratic because to them the big issue is welfare. That doesn't mean all Democrats are lazy anymore than I'd say Republicans are racists.

Maybe you should stop stereotyping.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2004, 06:49:06 PM »

That would maybe be true if every unemployed person voted on economic issues (assuming that all Democrats want to throw endless amount of money at unemployed people, which is false - I don't), but I would imagine that there's at least a sizeable chunk of unemployed people who vote on social issues, and given that socially conservative unemployed people do exist, this would imply that not all unemployed people vote Democratic.

Even if everything you've said were true, that doesn't prove what you're trying to assert: all unemployed people being Democratic does not imply that all Democratics are unemployed.  The latter is what you're attempting to assert.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:08 PM »

I think it's rather ironic that a lot of the posters on here are students (young ones at that), yet they're writing about how easy it is for anyone who wants a job to get one!
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:28 PM »

And for the greedy rich, they will vote Republican. For those who want to shoot people, Republican, too. Hate groups against minorities? Republicans - they're against affirmative action.
Yes you're right.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep the money you earned, wanting to defend yourself, and being against racism (such as AA).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Absolutely.  There are charities out there that are very generous.  The government is not the solution.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No, it doesn't mean all Democrats are lazy.  It means that all lazy people are Democrats.  (In general.)  There is a difference.

And by the way, the KKK folks over at Stormfront endorsed Kerry.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2004, 06:52:41 PM »

Not that I agree with Richius, but I don't think a quick examination of the poll proves anything, especially since it make no distinction between those who work part-time and those who don't work.  And it doesn't make a distiction between those who don't work because their spouse works and those who are truely unemployed.

Yes, I suppose you do have a point there; I hadn't thought of that.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2004, 06:53:03 PM »

I think it's rather ironic that a lot of the posters on here are students (young ones at that), yet they're writing about how easy it is for anyone who wants a job to get one!
That is because out of 6 co-op semesters, I've always found one.  My dad has been through 6 companies in the last 5 years, and he has always found a job.  And my mom has always been employed too.  The economy is booming in both Canada and the United States and employment is plentiful.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2004, 06:55:14 PM »

No, it doesn't mean all Democrats are lazy.  It means that all lazy people are Democrats.  (In general.)  There is a difference.

Yes, and you were trying to assert the former:

Working is such a foreign concept for Democrats

If you want to now assert something different, I think we can then safely consider your first point refuted.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2004, 06:55:23 PM »

That is because out of 6 co-op semesters, I've always found one.  My dad has been through 6 companies in the last 5 years, and he has always found a job.  And my mom has always been employed too.  The economy is booming in both Canada and the United States and employment is plentiful.

I've always found one, too.  Graduates of my university, though, usually have a tough time finding employment in their field.  They end up doing something completely different in which they're not happy in.  It might be easy to find any kind of work, but sometimes it is very difficult to find the right work for you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2004, 06:56:25 PM »

It means that all lazy people are Democrats.  (In general.)

Oh, so now we don't have all Democrats being lazy, we just have all lazy people being Democrats, and with a qualifier attached to the statement.

Your assertion seems to be shrinking. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2004, 06:57:08 PM »

It means that all lazy people are Democrats.  (In general.)

Oh, so now we don't have all Democrats being lazy, we just have all lazy people being Democrats, and with a qualifier attached to the statement.

Your assertion seems to be shrinking. Smiley
Yes.  That is the problem with generalizations.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2004, 07:23:33 PM »

JMann if you know what you are looking for it is NOT hard to find a job.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

JMann if you know what you are looking for it is NOT hard to find a job.

I would say that it depends on what you're looking for.  If you want any job, yes, it's not hard.  If you want to be a nuclear physicist, I think it would be slightly more difficult to find an opening.
Tory

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »

Pension is welfare.  People receiving pension are people that are too lazy to work and think they're entitled to sit on their asses and get money.

I appear to be seeing things... have you just accused the elderly of being:

"too lazy to work and think they're entitled to sit on their asses and get money."

Huh??

Great logic, innit?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2004, 10:15:36 PM »

And while we're at it...people in comas. They are obviously faking. I mean, c'mon! They need to work just like the rest of us. Aneurysms my rear end!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2004, 11:28:42 PM »

And while we're at it...people in comas. They are obviously faking. I mean, c'mon! They need to work just like the rest of us. Aneurysms my rear end!

Hey, you're right, maybe we could put the dead to work.  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies