Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 08:02:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)  (Read 4094 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2023, 08:09:11 PM »

See you in November
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2023, 08:16:56 PM »

Senate passes stopgap bill to avert shutdown

The Senate has passed a stopgap funding measure within hours of its deadline to prevent a federal government shutdown.

The Senate vote was 88 to 9.

The Senate passed the measure Saturday evening after the House abruptly reversed course and passed a bipartisan bill to extend government funding earlier in the day just hours ahead of the deadline. The House vote came after days of uncertainty over whether a shutdown could be averted. The bill now goes to President Joe Biden’s desk for approval.

The bill would keep the government open through November 17 and includes natural disaster aid but not additional funding for Ukraine or border security. It also includes a measure to keep the Federal Aviation Administration operational.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-deadline-09-30-23/index.html
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2023, 08:53:41 PM »

No Ukraine funding is a hard no from me. I hope the Senate rejects the bill until it's added back.

Funding can always be restored separately.

That's good.

Joint leadership:

Money for Ukraine with thankfully be coming,  the question just will be how much. I assume the senate is penciling in the $300 million vote even though they would prefer more cause when the house reconvenes, they may have more immediately pressing concerns thanks to Gaetz and company.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2023, 08:56:15 PM »

TBH, McCarthy shouldn't have been allowed to do a 45-day bill. That just shows how he continues to have no control of the caucus, and we're going to be at the same juncture in 45 days. You either have a plan for spending or you don't. "Band aid" bills shouldn't be allowed, and this just shows how feckless and weak of a leader he really is.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2023, 08:58:49 PM »

So, McCarthy is definitely getting vacated, right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2023, 09:03:40 PM »

This might be a best case scenario. The government gets funded thanks to Democrats saving the day, McCarthy gets his just desserts, and Americans who are paying attention see what a dumpster fire Republicans are when they get to govern.

On the downside, McCarthy's replacement is going to be much worse somehow, almost certainly. But that still probably helps Democrats in the long-term too for pure optic reasons.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2023, 09:10:37 PM »

This is a certified pigpoopballs moment
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2023, 09:10:59 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 09:14:13 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

McCarthy is a Lame Duck Speaker anyways he is Rep of CA but his Caucus is TX and FL but FL and TX may vote D anyways.

All the swing Districts are in CA and NY and McCarthy keeps talking spending cuts but no new revenue for taxes and aid to Ukraine support refugees just like Welfare supports us in America taxes have to be raised and CA and NY have high property taxes

Trusting Ranch like Bakersfield like Costa Mesa have high property taxes just like CARILLO will beat Garcia in Anaheim this time

Families especially minorities bunk up more in CA to afford rents and whites are wealthy anyways  from relatives in Europe my Urologist had his daddy pay for Med School he makes 600 K as a Doctor
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »

So this is only good for 45 days, right? Then back to the clown show of a showdown?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2023, 09:25:07 PM »

Yes November 17 until they pass a budget or another CR before then.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2023, 10:03:24 PM »

Pulling out one of my favorite Simpsons quotes: "Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again.  What a bunch of clowns."
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2023, 10:10:16 PM »

This might be a best case scenario. The government gets funded thanks to Democrats saving the day, McCarthy gets his just desserts, and Americans who are paying attention see what a dumpster fire Republicans are when they get to govern.

On the downside, McCarthy's replacement is going to be much worse somehow, almost certainly. But that still probably helps Democrats in the long-term too for pure optic reasons.

Which is why I said earlier that something more creative than just "feeding the trolls" - the deal struck in January - is going to be needed if McCarty goes. Cause we'll just be back here in 45 days, and the resolution will be similar, only this time there actually will be a shutdown cause some of the GOP poison pills probably get passed to die in the senate. And then there will probably be yet another motion to vacate cause the new leadership will be forced by circumstance to disobey the trolls like McCarthy just did.

Basically, in order to avoid running in circles, whoever new comes in has to either be able to avoid the same trap that was just set and sprung, or has to be able to survive a motion to vacate. The trolls will be fine if they lose their power with no longer any viable recourse - they are quite used to spreading the mantra of victimization to electoral benefit from the base. Victimization is arguably better for them than partial authority, that's why they are the equivalent of online trolls.

Pulling out one of my favorite Simpsons quotes: "Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again.  What a bunch of clowns."

Remind me, was that from the episode they sent Krusty (the actual clown) to congress?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2023, 10:14:24 PM »

No Ukraine funding is a hard no from me. I hope the Senate rejects the bill until it's added back.

Funding can always be restored separately.

That's good.

Unfortunately, it's the best deal we have right now. We wouldn't have got anything with a government shutdown either. At least government stays open and people will still get their paychecks. Democrats can decide what to do later because McCarthy clearly does not have a governing majority. If we had a parliamentary system, we'd be heading into an election. (I think that's a strong argument in support of such a system.)
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2023, 10:35:01 PM »

LcLarthy
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2023, 10:37:37 PM »

The bill is law:

On Saturday, September 30, 2023, the President signed into law:

H.R. 5860, which provides fiscal year appropriations to Federal agencies through November 17, 2023, for continuing projects of the Federal Government and extends several expiring authorities.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2023, 02:18:47 AM »

They claim that Rs is safe from losing their Majority, no they aren't in 45 days when we go thru this again, if there is a shutdown they will be blamed but again it has nothing to do with welfare or SSDI checks so any shutdown won't have a long lasting effect

The Rs are wasting time on impeaching inquiry on Biden, that's because the Trump bar is so high with Treason in Russian Collusion and J6, just because Bidens has had business dealings, it doesn't rise to the level of impeachment.

No their majority isn't safe for from it
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2023, 02:27:50 AM »

They are.  Why are you voting GOP, then?

I'll vote for anyone who doesn't close national parks.

The Biden regime could have chosen to use the contingency plan for national parks from the last shutdown. Instead, they are choosing not to.
Voting against labor and the party which seeks to give workers bargaining power because you couldn’t go glamping in Teton County is not exactly the take I would expect from a self proclaimed “populist” who even named his blog “The Lunchpail”, but I guess I was wrong!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2023, 05:43:15 AM »

Which is why I said earlier that something more creative than just "feeding the trolls" - the deal struck in January - is going to be needed if McCarty goes. Cause we'll just be back here in 45 days, and the resolution will be similar, only this time there actually will be a shutdown cause some of the GOP poison pills probably get passed to die in the senate. And then there will probably be yet another motion to vacate cause the new leadership will be forced by circumstance to disobey the trolls like McCarthy just did.

Basically, in order to avoid running in circles, whoever new comes in has to either be able to avoid the same trap that was just set and sprung, or has to be able to survive a motion to vacate. The trolls will be fine if they lose their power with no longer any viable recourse - they are quite used to spreading the mantra of victimization to electoral benefit from the base. Victimization is arguably better for them than partial authority, that's why they are the equivalent of online trolls.

Pulling out one of my favorite Simpsons quotes: "Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again.  What a bunch of clowns."

Remind me, was that from the episode they sent Krusty (the actual clown) to congress?

Fake fan! Tongue

No, it was from "Bart Gets an Elephant", where the KBBL radio jockeys are marvelling over the machine that auto-generates DJ -banter.  

"How does it keep up with the news like that?"
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2023, 08:31:45 AM »

Don't praise the machine..
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »

McCarthy has got to be one of the weakest House Speakers in history.

It's actually hilarious how the only Republican Speaker in the past 100+ years who wasn’t completely inept at the job is in prison for child molestation right now.

Hastert isn't still in prison.

And Gingrich, Boehner, and Ryan all managed to serve more than one Congress as Speaker so that counts as not being completely inept. Even Joseph Martin managed to stay in office during his two nonconsecutive tenures. What was so inept about Frederick Gillett and Nicholas Longworth?

I think it's hilarious that Democrats kept the same leader after she lost the majority and failed to regain it in three straight elections, but that's just me.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2023, 09:40:06 AM »

How McCarthy is able to try to frame this on Democrats at all is totally beyond me...what a weak Speaker. But I think that was clear even before it took 15 votes or whatever it was to confirm him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2023, 09:58:06 AM »

How McCarthy is able to try to frame this on Democrats at all is totally beyond me...what a weak Speaker. But I think that was clear even before it took 15 votes or whatever it was to confirm him.

Due to fact he has 45 days still to get a budget thru and it will be a fight again, this isn't over
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2023, 10:04:29 AM »

Losing a House majority is usually due to issues beyond the leader’s control.  That’s why a leader seen by the caucus members as the best choice is often kept on.  In addition to Pelosi, both Sam Rayburn and Joseph Martin were retained.  All three eventually became Speaker again.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2023, 02:07:30 PM »

No, it was from "Bart Gets an Elephant", where the KBBL radio jockeys are marvelling over the machine that auto-generates DJ -banter.  

Hey, he's playing the elephant song again!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »

Hey, he's playing the elephant song again!

Some members of Congress act badly because they’ve had a hard life or have been mistreated.  But, like people, some of them are just jerks.

Stop that, Mr. Gaetz. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies