North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:52:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right  (Read 9429 times)
illegaloperation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »

Well more funding for failing schools clearly isn't the answer. If a business performs poorly, then they'd go out of business and so should bad schools. I'm sure parents don't like to be forced to send their kids to these schools. As for taxes on sodas? What about less spending and the government staying out of our diets? I'm far from the most conservative Republican, but the letter is dead on and exposes the left for what they really are.

North Carolina is 48th in paid for teachers. Schools there are falling behind because teachers are moving to South Carolina (and other states).

States and localities should decide on competitive pay for teachers. I understand teachers wanting to go where they're paid more.

Is it the teachers' fault that they happen to work in poor districts where students are less educated to begin with?
illegaloperation

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »

Also, I don't see how cutting paid for teacher is a good idea when the state is already rank 48th in teachers' paid.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2013, 01:19:53 AM »

Well more funding for failing schools clearly isn't the answer. If a business performs poorly, then they'd go out of business and so should bad schools. I'm sure parents don't like to be forced to send their kids to these schools. As for taxes on sodas? What about less spending and the government staying out of our diets? I'm far from the most conservative Republican, but the letter is dead on and exposes the left for what they really are.

North Carolina is 48th in paid for teachers. Schools there are falling behind because teachers are moving to South Carolina (and other states).

States and localities should decide on competitive pay for teachers. I understand teachers wanting to go where they're paid more.

Is it the teachers' fault that they happen to work in poor districts where students are less educated to begin with?

no why
hopper
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:49 AM »

Lower taxes, smaller government, and more economic freedom =/= "the extreme right".

It's the way it should be. In Maryland are you kind of outnumbered? I have friends in your state through my best friend and they're all die hard Republicans and very socially conservative. It's funny how that works out. Actually, I've found that outside of the Washington D.C. and Baltimore areas, Maryland is fairly moderate.
Yeah I remember when I watched "Washington Journal" on C-Span. They had callers from Maryland that were Republicans. I'm like where are there Republicans in Maryland?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 02:36:21 AM »

Lower taxes, smaller government, and more economic freedom =/= "the extreme right".

It's the way it should be. In Maryland are you kind of outnumbered? I have friends in your state through my best friend and they're all die hard Republicans and very socially conservative. It's funny how that works out. Actually, I've found that outside of the Washington D.C. and Baltimore areas, Maryland is fairly moderate.
Yeah I remember when I watched "Washington Journal" on C-Span. They had callers from Maryland that were Republicans. I'm like where are there Republicans in Maryland?

Hopefully they all end up where the polls are on Election Day. It still won't be enough to win Maryland though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2013, 11:12:07 AM by opebo »

Lower taxes, smaller government, and  =/= more economic freedom
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Hopefully they all end up where the polls are on Election Day. It still won't be enough to win Maryland though.

Yeah, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, and Baltimore County is a one-two-three punch of super-liberals.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

Yeah, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, and Baltimore County is a one-two-three punch of super-liberals.

Yes and you can ask my friend Luke who is from Frederick. I got him into conservatism and he always laughs about how liberal eastern MD is.
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »

Yes and you can ask my friend Luke who is from Frederick. I got him into conservatism and he always laughs about how liberal eastern MD is.

But not the Eastern shore........the Eastern Shore is conservative. Smiley
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »

well the D.C. and Baltimore suburbs

But not the Eastern shore........the Eastern Shore is conservative. Smiley
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/opinion/voting-in-north-carolina.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »

One day it will all come back to haunt the Grumpy Old Party.

Luckily the Democratic Senator from North Carolina, Kay Hagan, is a huge favourite to win again in 2014. She's leading her opponent by 11% in the latest poll. Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »

I was watching an Assembly hearing on the voter suppression legislation; one of the speakers testifed that white males in NC have one of the worst turnout rates relative to their population. The voter ID legislation may actually end up hurting the Republicans.
illegaloperation

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »

I was watching an Assembly hearing on the voter suppression legislation; one of the speakers testifed that white males in NC have one of the worst turnout rates relative to their population. The voter ID legislation may actually end up hurting the Republicans.

Voter ID disproportionately affects the groups with low turnout rate. The impact is most felt in states with very big Hispanic population.

Since North Carolina doesn't have a huge Hispanic population like Arizona, I am not sure that the impact is that great.

Voter ID may impact the youth vote, but it may also impact the elderly vote.

In my opinion, the most alarming thing NC Republicans are doing is to try end the child taxes credit for students who vote from their college. Ending early voting and same day voter registration are close second and third.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »

I actually thing there is a reasonable justification for removing the credit. Why should the gov't be in the business of trying to induce you to vote from a certain location? Does that not strike anyone else as corrupt?
illegaloperation

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »

I actually thing there is a reasonable justification for removing the credit. Why should the gov't be in the business of trying to induce you to vote from a certain location? Does that not strike anyone else as corrupt?

Why shouldn't students vote from their colleges?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

Voter ID disproportionately affects the groups with low turnout rate. The impact is most felt in states with very big Hispanic population.

Since North Carolina doesn't have a huge Hispanic population like Arizona, I am not sure that the impact is that great.

In my opinion, the most alarming thing NC Republicans are doing is to try end the child taxes credit for students who vote from their college. Ending early voting and same day voter registration are close second and third.

Forget voter ID then. What about fingerprinting at polls. Wouldn't that work?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »

Why shouldn't students vote from their colleges?

Why do they need a tax credit in order to do so?
hopper
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »

What do ending child tax credits and having your kid vote from college have anything to do with each other. Why should you get a child tax credit if your child is over 18 anyway?

I don't understand with the big hurrah is on the left with getting rid of voting machines for early voting. I thought voting by machine was only for the actual voting day that day. If you have to mail your paper ballot early because you  are going on vacation than fine I understand but having voting machines open for 2 weeks? That's just insanity to me.

I agree with you however why can't vote and register to vote on the same day?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »

What do ending child tax credits and having your kid vote from college have anything to do with each other. Why should you get a child tax credit if your child is over 18 anyway?

I don't understand with the big hurrah is on the left with getting rid of voting machines for early voting. I thought voting by machine was only for the actual voting day that day. If you have to mail your paper ballot early because you  are going on vacation than fine I understand but having voting machines open for 2 weeks? That's just insanity to me.

It's how Democrats win. I don't understand what the hype is about early voting. Well, it does allow a better chance for Democrats to vote twice. We need to abolish early voting. There isn't a good reason for it outside of being out of the country on military leave which is covered by absentee ballots. Election Day should be a national holiday so people can vote and if they're too lazy or irresponsible to vote on Election Day, then sorry and better luck next time.
illegaloperation

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2013, 02:27:03 PM by illegaloperation »

I don't understand with the big hurrah is on the left with getting rid of voting machines for early voting. I thought voting by machine was only for the actual voting day that day. If you have to mail your paper ballot early because you  are going on vacation than fine I understand but having voting machines open for 2 weeks? That's just insanity to me.

It's how Democrats win. I don't understand what the hype is about early voting. Well, it does allow a better chance for Democrats to vote twice. We need to abolish early voting. There isn't a good reason for it outside of being out of the country on military leave which is covered by absentee ballots. Election Day should be a national holiday so people can vote and if they're too lazy or irresponsible to vote on Election Day, then sorry and better luck next time.

We don't need early voting. People should have to wait in line until after midnight to vote like in Florida in 2012. /sarcasm

There were people still voting in Florida after Obama was already declared the winner.
illegaloperation

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »

Like I said above, there will insanely long lines and people will leave, having not voted (aka Florida 2012).
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »

I don't understand with the big hurrah is on the left with getting rid of voting machines for early voting. I thought voting by machine was only for the actual voting day that day. If you have to mail your paper ballot early because you  are going on vacation than fine I understand but having voting machines open for 2 weeks? That's just insanity to me.

We don't need early voting. People should have to wait in line until after midnight to vote like in Florida in 2012. /sarcasm

There were people still voting in Florida after Obama was already declared the winner.

Non-Democrats have thought of many other ideas. We could have more polling locations, open polls earlier, make election day a national holiday so people have more time to vote. I believe I've mentioned these, but it's ok.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »

Like I said above, there will insanely long lines and people will leave, having not voted (aka Florida 2012).

There are tons of things we can do to keep election day just once every 4 years. We can have more polling locations, instead of carding people for ID, have fingerprinting set up at the booths, open polls earlier or even at midnight, and make election day a national holiday. One or all of these things would work. We don't need to risk people voting multiple times on multiple days.
illegaloperation

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »

There are tons of things we can do to keep election day just once every 4 years. We can have more polling locations, instead of carding people for ID, have fingerprinting set up at the booths, open polls earlier or even at midnight, and make election day a national holiday. One or all of these things would work. We don't need to risk people voting multiple times on multiple days.

Sure. Let's take DNA samples and check criminal records while they are at it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies